'Experimental' VR branch for Odyssey launch

Would be great if they did but I just sadly dont feel they are going to do this. Less money in their pockets then

I suspect staffing / costs are an issue in the mix for sure. (And the ROI of the VR market generally).

But part of the benefits of this approach is it could hit a launch window using less dev time, meaning less cost for them. (And less 'risk' generally, in theory).

It's worth noting that by not supporting VR for launch there's a detriment to them already though. (Bad PR in the VR world, and lost sales amongst the VR-exclusive etc). It's obviously not been enough to change their decision, but if there was a 'budget' way to keep us on side, that could likely have some appeal ;)

+1

But also support for a PSVR + PS5 beta "own risk" version please.

We know betas can be done on console, so push out a PSVR vesion and just see how much support you get. Presumably it doesnt need full vertification, given it will likely have bugs (hence "beta"), so frame rate dips may be more tolerated.

Watch, Frontier will take a page out of Bethesda's book and sell an entirely separate version of Odyssey a year later specifically for VR, after most of us have already bought the 2D version.

Watch, Frontier will take a page out of Bethesda's book and sell an entirely separate version of Odyssey a year later specifically for VR, after most of us have already bought the 2D version.

Yep this is entirely possible (although I think the LEP complicates this for them a touch).

Some kind of mark-up wouldn’t actually be that unreasonable, given nigh every fresh launch on the VR market is essentially ‘over priced' compared to the bang for buck in the standard market. (Unit sales are lower, got to make their cash back somehow).

That would all be an impediment to them giving away free experi access potentially too though.

Guess we’ll see. Independent publishers sitting on a pot old gold have done free VR expansions (NMS). FDev are oddball at times, and have at least the freedom to make a passion play. I don’t think a base rate / free update to Odyssey is totally out of the question.

Guess we’ll see ¯\(ツ)

you people actually believe that they care about it, right?

lmao, this threat will be ignored like dozens of others - gl hf

they don't give a damn about your "proposals"

you people actually believe that they care about it, right?
Nope!

lmao, this threat will be ignored like dozens of others - gl hf
Just like the ADS, CGs, IIs, Galnet, HRP stacking, Engineering unbalance, etc. ad nauseam.

they don't give a damn about your "proposals"
Agreed.

HOWEVER, I do have a Universal Cartographer on my Fleet Carrier, which has changed FCs from being a relatively useless tool to a very useful tool for me personally, so I'll continue to propose my proposals (and support other proposals I agree with) for as long as I have fingers to type with, because sometimes, on those rare occasions, Frontier actually does listen to us.

Cheers ;)

This is a long shot, because more resourcing than usual is on the line. But as a corollary, more player discontent, lost sales & reputational loss are on the line too. There’s no harm in slinging a bargain basement proposal into that mix. (Even if it is still pie in the sky ;)).

Making a fuss about it just gets it raised up the chain by the CMs. Everything else is in the lap of the gaming gods as always...

Last edited:
+1 I'll support this big time. I've taken Elite off my pc, but will definitely reinstall it if Frontier tells us that VR will continue to have a future in Elite Dangerous, as it stands know there is just no point in playing it.

In the end, Frontier will probably only care about this if a large enough player base stops playing because of this issue.

Last edited:
I support this.

This would be the minimum I'd accept, and I'd be fine with a status of "experimental - not supported".

It would also be a great (and virtually free) way to get feedback and real in-game data about the VR experience in Odyssey, which could help inform future development of the VR experience. If there is hesitation over resource allocation to VR development in Odyssey, then working with players in this suggested experimental mode could provide a path of minimum effort by identifying the most valued enhancements.

Absolutely +1 for this initiative !!

There is an enormous frustration about the decision to drop VR support and I for my part have not felt the desire anymore to step into the cockpit since the infamous revelation was made (better - revealed by the community because FDev had tried to rather hide it between the lines). The knowledge of being left behind in the further road map of the game just discourages me to even bother to do anything in this universe today because it feels like a pointless effort as I know I will quit it anyhow when Odyssey is released and I would be sitting on the outside and looking in how much fun others are having while I am not allowed to join. And no, playing flat is really just not an option for a game like Elite. I can't remember when I played the last flat FPS - it's just a complete different game in VR so if I feel the urge I'll take to Contractors (Onward and Pavlov are probably more popular with the die hard VR FPS gamers but my preference is different).

Top Bottom