Exploration addition - gathering sample from unexplored planet

Really easy to implement. Inspired by Kerbal Space Program - player could gather samples from the surface of any planet to later sell it. Possibilities are - using SRV to gather sample (for example one would need to get to some of the surface rock to gather it) or special ship module requiring landing to to work (also great opportunity for some cool new sounds to be added). Samples could be also sold at special station contact.
That would add great reason to land on some interesting planets. Samples could differ in price depending of different factors like rarity of a planet, distance from the bubble, other things to be found inside same system or around it, star class, composition of a planet etc.
This would be also opportunity to add some exploration missions requiring you to gather geological samples.

Last edited:
Agreed! If combined with Geological and Biological POI's, it would be great to store samples of these in your cargo hold for sale later.

You might be able to do this now with vacuum-based biological life. Research Limpets could be used to collect samples, although I have not been successful with this approach on any of the ones I've encountered.

Also, as an aside, taking on missions like this (which require you to go to an 'unexplored' planet) should have a time-limit of months, rather than weeks. Deep space exploration is rarely a quick process.

Agreed! If combined with Geological and Biological POI's, it would be great to store samples of these in your cargo hold for sale later.

You might be able to do this now with vacuum-based biological life. Research Limpets could be used to collect samples, although I have not been successful with this approach on any of the ones I've encountered.

Also, as an aside, taking on missions like this (which require you to go to an 'unexplored' planet) should have a time-limit of months, rather than weeks. Deep space exploration is rarely a quick process.

I'd like to do more than just haul bits of alien life around - or at least have somebody somewhere do some science on them, which results in new discoveries, modules, weapons, whatever. Give exploration a point beyond credits and tags.

I'd like to do more than just haul bits of alien life around - or at least have somebody somewhere do some science on them, which results in new discoveries, modules, weapons, whatever. Give exploration a point beyond credits and tags.
While a nice idea in theory, we have to be realistic in terms of what is achievable by FDev.

What you're referring to sounds like a research tree, based on the provision of various scientific samples. There are only 2 ways that could realistically be maintained:
  1. A research tree curated by FDev that ensures all research outcomes preserver gameplay balance.
    OR
  2. A procedurally generated research tree that risks creating modules/wesponse/etc... that could be wildly unbalanced.
The problem with option (1) is that it would require continuous oversight and input from FDev to ensure it doesn't look hugely restricted, especially later on down the road when more planet types (and therefore, potentially, more alien lifeforms) are available. Add in procedurally generated lifeforms (which is probably going to have to be done to make the Galaxy not feel homogeneous), and it makes it even more complex to curate.

The flip-side with option (2) is that it would be unbelievably complex to write logic starting with procedurally generated lifeforms creating procedurally generated modules/weapons in a procedurally generated galaxy with procedurally generated factions following a procedurally generated BGS algorithm.

If you thought the missions generation system was simplistic and unbalanced now, think about how much more messy/buggy a research tree would be.

While a nice idea in theory, we have to be realistic in terms of what is achievable by FDev.

What you're referring to sounds like a research tree, based on the provision of various scientific samples. There are only 2 ways that could realistically be maintained:
  1. A research tree curated by FDev that ensures all research outcomes preserver gameplay balance.
    OR
  2. A procedurally generated research tree that risks creating modules/wesponse/etc... that could be wildly unbalanced.
The problem with option (1) is that it would require continuous oversight and input from FDev to ensure it doesn't look hugely restricted, especially later on down the road when more planet types (and therefore, potentially, more alien lifeforms) are available. Add in procedurally generated lifeforms (which is probably going to have to be done to make the Galaxy not feel homogeneous), and it makes it even more complex to curate.

The flip-side with option (2) is that it would be unbelievably complex to write logic starting with procedurally generated lifeforms creating procedurally generated modules/weapons in a procedurally generated galaxy with procedurally generated factions following a procedurally generated BGS algorithm.

If you thought the missions generation system was simplistic and unbalanced now, think about how much more messy/buggy a research tree would be.

Whilst a personal research tree would be awesome, I fully agree that it's beyond the scope of FDev to integrate into ED.

However, something more along the lines of an informal CG, where 'personal' research is aggregated across all commanders and affects a global research tree would, I think, be feasible. In terms of data tracking it's not significantly different to the Squadron leaderboards so I don't see it being technically challenging. If the new tech items became available to people based on their contribution (like CG Tiers - again, not complex) with everybody getting access after (say) 6 months then people have motivation to do the work.

In short - a combination of CGs, Squadron Leaderboards and PP upgrade unlocks.

Edit:
Regarding balance - stay away from weapons and that's 90% of the job done. Make the upgrades minor in scale (like, say, a 2% jump range increase) and you're not going to blow balance out of the water any more than FDev already do any time they add a new weapon (or change drag munitions ;) ).

Whilst a personal research tree would be awesome, I fully agree that it's beyond the scope of FDev to integrate into ED.

However, something more along the lines of an informal CG, where 'personal' research is aggregated across all commanders and affects a global research tree would, I think, be feasible. In terms of data tracking it's not significantly different to the Squadron leaderboards so I don't see it being technically challenging. If the new tech items became available to people based on their contribution (like CG Tiers - again, not complex) with everybody getting access after (say) 6 months then people have motivation to do the work.

In short - a combination of CGs, Squadron Leaderboards and PP upgrade unlocks.
Yea, I can see that working.

It sounds similar to what has been done in the past (e.g. Thargoid AX weapons), but more formalised, and with a few more interconnected parts. If I've understood that correctly, then I can dig it. :cool:

Yup. This is what I would like to see. Some of those life discoveries, what are biomes like. Does anything hunt them, what do they eat etc. What can I get from them that will open up other avenues in the game.

Yea, I can see that working.

It sounds similar to what has been done in the past (e.g. Thargoid AX weapons), but more formalised, and with a few more interconnected parts. If I've understood that correctly, then I can dig it. :cool:

Yeah, that's the basis I was working from. FDev are already doing something similar with the Colonia Engineers being upgraded by people using them, and since there's not been an exploration CG for over 2 years (to my knowledge) it would be nice to have some involvement in the development of the galaxy.

I always envisioned this as a deeper level of scan, but this was before mapping was introduced. As for soil samples being cargo, here's an idea: A new module, a portable laboratory. If you don't have one, you'll have to take it to a station to be analyzed. If you have a lab, you can analyze on the spot, toss the sample and sell the data later.

I always envisioned this as a deeper level of scan, but this was before mapping was introduced. As for soil samples being cargo, here's an idea: A new module, a portable laboratory. If you don't have one, you'll have to take it to a station to be analyzed. If you have a lab, you can analyze on the spot, toss the sample and sell the data later.
Thats a great idea. Also Kerbal Space Program have this in stock.

Top Bottom