Ships Exploration builds - want some feedback

I'd like to hear out some recommendations regarding exploration builds. There's a thread about bringing SLF, which was one of my questions. what about a mining laser, cargo space, multiple AFMU and heatsinks? Are those needed or highly recommended for long range explorations? I've went only as far as 6k ly from the bubble and didn't feel the need for those, but maybe things change further out...?
Cheers

Last edited:
Depends on what ship you're trying to jam everything into, how long your planning on being out for and what you intend to get up to.

I find the Krait MkII works best for me. Good jump range, SLF capable, excellent SC maneuverability.

SLF: are usually much faster than an exploration vessel so they get used for all the stoopid stuff (canyons, etc). They are also much more expendable than the mother ship (mine has 6 SLFs so its not a real hassle if I plant one into a canyon wall). Since most of the riskier flying is done in the SLF, you're less likely to need a Repair Limpet for your mother ship - saves 2 module slots.

Heatsinks: rarely used but if you jump into a nest of stars you'll wish you had one. Lightweight mod means you should take one as it has very little impact on jump range.

Multiple AFMUs: not really necessary unless you plan on being out for a year. My build has a second, but only as a weightless damage sponge. Never used it.

Cargo space: you can only synthesis 4 limpets at a time, so a size 2 rack makes sense if you're carrying any limpet controllers. Maybe a larger corrosion resistant rack if you plan on collecting xeno samples

Mining laser: only useful if you desperately need materials. If you have an SRV, then the laser is kinda redundant. You can't add a lightweight mod, so mining lasers can bite into your jump range. Not sure why my build has one, never used.

Plasma slug rail gun: useful for dumping fuel if you need extra range. Rarely used.

Chaff: celebratory fireworks!

Fuel transfer & repair limpet controllers: useful if your on an expedition with others who smack into things or forget to fuel up

Supercruise assist: stops you from kissing the sun accidentally while the fight scene is playing on your movie (exploration can be dull at times, best spiced with some viewing pleasure). Also neat for automated planetary orbit for gratuitous selfies.

Guardian visits: chuck on a point defense and a lighweight laser if you plan on visiting Guardian sites on your travels.

Took a Krait mk2 to Colonia and then the galactic centre (pre Phantom release), I wouldn't under size thrusters as even with an engineered 6D landing and taking off on a 9G planet (Krait Phantom) was touch and go.

The DBX has excellent jump range but the under size scoop for me rules it out for extended exploration trips as you will have to throttle back or even loop the star for a full range scoop.

The power plant can only be repaired at a station so I'd suggest a higher class with armoured + double braced to maximise integrity, you lose a little jump range but well worth it for a more robust module.

I've never used heatsinks on exploration just lucky I guess ;) with an armoured power plant heat has never been an issue, with AFMU's, repair limpets and a high integrity power plant you've got most damage sources covered.

Krait P build https://s.orbis.zone/676g

Krait mk2 build https://s.orbis.zone/676q

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer guys, great inputs!

I'm still undecided if I'll bring the SLF; Quite a few people mentioned they used it much less than they intended, as the fighter is quite limited. So bringing that extra 20T is a fair bite into jump distance. Guess I'll try it out in the bubble first to see how useful it is for myself.

Last questions regarding power distributor: given I'll bring only a light weapon at best, possibly no hard points. Is there any reason not to bring the smallest class D I can fit? Class n D is better than class (n-1) A, right? And finally, does it make any difference what engineering path for the PD? Other than experimental effect 'Stripped Down', I don't understand if any of the paths actually help exploration.

I'll likely either go with a Phantom for max jump distance, a Krait mk2 for the SLF or something like this Courrier.
Cheers

Last edited:
PD also affects boosting. If you don't plan to boost ever, then you can get away with a 1D PD no problems. For engineering, you would do best with engine focused. Assuming, as above, you want to boost. Depending on the ship, some heavy engineering might even let you drop the PD down one size. There is an ancient thread somewhere that lists the minimum amount of capacity required for boosting, but I can't seem to find it right now.

These are two explorers I have. My Asp X went all the way to Ishum's Reach and back in this configuration https://s.orbis.zone/67im and I never had any issues. My Phantom is very similar but more expensive https://s.orbis.zone/67in. Both builds only equipped with all the essential stuff and nothing extra. I have point defense and pulse lasers on them only because I used these ships for some work at Guardian sites, otherwise not needed either. Also I decided not to go crazy with engineering. Only FSD and Power plant got engineered for better jump range. SLF and other gizmos nice to have for playing around when not too far from home and only holding you back when you have tens of thousands of Light Years to go to the nearest station, you tired and supplies running low.

Read this for general information:
and this for more specifics (this is one of the links in the previous guide)

My exploration ship(s) have three main design criteria. Jump far, run cool and carry a SRV. I've never bothered with AFMUs, SLFs or any of that stuff. Hasn't bitten me yet. Yet.

No weapons, no additional armor or integrity, and shields just enough to protect against the odd mistake.

Heatsink yes, supercruise or docking assist, chaff and mining lasers no. And a wake scanner for Thargie wakes, which I swear will be useful one day!

Not recommending my barebones approach necessarily, just how I go about it. And thrusters are always A-rated. Tried to get by with Ds once. That lasted 5 minutes. Never again.

I'd like to hear out some recommendations regarding exploration builds. There's a thread about bringing SLF, which was one of my questions. what about a mining laser, cargo space, multiple AFMU and heatsinks? Are those needed or highly recommended for long range explorations? I've went only as far as 6k ly from the bubble and didn't feel the need for those, but maybe things change further out...?
Cheers

FWIW I have never used an AFMU on any of my builds. I have been up to Colonia and back and didn't use it once. I always take an SRV (and a detailed surface scanner!) but for me everything else is optional. I don't take any weapons, D rate everything except the FSD, overcharge a small power plant and engineer the power distributor for engine focussed. If you have Guardian tech unlocked then the Guardian FSD booster makes a big difference - if you are prepared to give up a class 5 slot then it will give you 10ly additional jump range. My current explorer is a Clipper. Love the ship, superfast, nimble and easy to land on planets, plenty of room for fuel tanks, SRV bay and my FSD booster. Tend not to bother with the fighter bay as seemed never to use it. But that's a personal thing. Basically any ship can make a solid explorer. So fly what you enjoy!

(I gained Explorer Elite yesterday and I was flying my Explorer T6!!)

o7

This was my Krait build, in all honesty, i didn't need the afmu, mining lasers or the repair limpets, i did get attacked and was glad i had the slf, decent sheilds and good thrusters/PD

I do love the krait, especially seeing your 2 medium hardpoints either side of the cockpit

FWIW I have never used an AFMU on any of my builds. I have been up to Colonia and back and didn't use it once. I always take an SRV (and a detailed surface scanner!) but for me everything else is optional. I don't take any weapons, D rate everything except the FSD, overcharge a small power plant and engineer the power distributor for engine focussed. If you have Guardian tech unlocked then the Guardian FSD booster makes a big difference - if you are prepared to give up a class 5 slot then it will give you 10ly additional jump range. My current explorer is a Clipper. Love the ship, superfast, nimble and easy to land on planets, plenty of room for fuel tanks, SRV bay and my FSD booster. Tend not to bother with the fighter bay as seemed never to use it. But that's a personal thing. Basically any ship can make a solid explorer. So fly what you enjoy!

(I gained Explorer Elite yesterday and I was flying my Explorer T6!!)

o7
I did some exploration trips on my Clipper and it was fun. When I decided to go visit the Ishum's Reach I figured, I need something with more jump range just to be able to cross the Abbyss. I pulled my old AspX out of the hangar and outfitted it for the trip. I wasn't going to spent more than a few weeks on this trip so neutron highway was used as much as possible. I had SRV, 6A fuel scoop, little bit of a cargo storage and a little, tiny shield to protect my hull from damage during landings on some rough terrain. I also had to fit 3 AFMUs for FSD repair every 20 neutron jumps or so. These AFMUs lasted all the way from home to Colonia where I got restocked. From Colonia to Ishum's Reach and part of the trip on the way back I made on what I have in these AFMUs. Synthesized more AFMU ammo and made it to the Explorer's Anchorage, where I got reloaded and made it home. Without AFMUs and neutron boost I would probably made it anyway but it would take me way too long.
Congrats on your Elite rank. (y)

I did some exploration trips on my Clipper and it was fun. When I decided to go visit the Ishum's Reach I figured, I need something with more jump range just to be able to cross the Abbyss. I pulled my old AspX out of the hangar and outfitted it for the trip. I wasn't going to spent more than a few weeks on this trip so neutron highway was used as much as possible. I had SRV, 6A fuel scoop, little bit of a cargo storage and a little, tiny shield to protect my hull from damage during landings on some rough terrain. I also had to fit 3 AFMUs for FSD repair every 20 neutron jumps or so. These AFMUs lasted all the way from home to Colonia where I got restocked. From Colonia to Ishum's Reach and part of the trip on the way back I made on what I have in these AFMUs. Synthesized more AFMU ammo and made it to the Explorer's Anchorage, where I got reloaded and made it home. Without AFMUs and neutron boost I would probably made it anyway but it would take me way too long.
Congrats on your Elite rank. (y)

Yes - should have made clear that I wasn't using neutron highway at all. (And yes should have mentioned a big scoop. Flying my cutter up to Colonia I took off the largest cargo rack so I could take an 8A fuel scoop. Makes things much faster!!)

Thanks very much - got Elite trader week before last then Elite explorer last week so suddenly making some headway. Only Expert in combat, though, so a fair way to go!

o7

I earned my elite exploration recently. I went towards Colonia via the neutron highway in my DBX.
I used everything I took on the ship and didn't need anything else. I did though stuff myself with mats before I left, which is the only reason I can think of to take an SRV,

So the question is, how long are you going out?

An SRV is fun to have for a little hoon planetside as a change of pace.

I'll quite often park up at a discovered geo site and collect a few mats before heading off again

Top Bottom