Exploration : Mini Neutron Field guide

Who has a coordinate close to sagA? I'm on my way back and need some neutrons. What confusing is that I was flying through them nearly all the way to sagA, but I've yet to find one again yet.

Who has a coordinate close to sagA? I'm on my way back and need some neutrons. What confusing is that I was flying through them nearly all the way to sagA, but I've yet to find one again yet.

Go to a height of about -1250 and travel towards SOL, eventually you'll see them :)
Co-ordinates are in the form of X,Y,Z (width, height, depth) as you look towards the core from civilisation

The easiest way may be to go to Galaxy Map, zoom out a few clicks, drop about 600-1000ly down in elevation, and start "flying" towards home. Use the star map and filter non-sequence stars.

Screenshot enclosed - I have a straight-line view to NGC 6357 and Lugh (home base). EESHORKS AA-A nebula is in the vicinity. This is just the non-sequence, carbon, and white dwarf stars in one grid. The grids keep going and going. This is 17k ly from Lugh, so if you're coming from Sag A* and heading back, they're 8k ly or less from your position. A great place to get lost. Safe flying, CMDR!

Neutron Love.JPG

Last edited:
Cheers, just found a bunch. And another Earth LIke! Bonus!

The neutron seemed in so much surplus on my way to the core, its just weird not finding one on my way back (yet).

Last edited:
Another belt of neutron stars, white dwarves and black holes can be found around -3410, 1114, 11130 (PRU AIM KO-O D7-89). All the stars you can eat!

Another belt of neutron stars, white dwarves and black holes can be found around -3410, 1114, 11130 (PRU AIM KO-O D7-89). All the stars you can eat!

Yes I was made aware of the fact that the field below the galactic plane is mirrored above too, will amend first post asap, ta :)

The easiest way may be to go to Galaxy Map, zoom out a few clicks, drop about 600-1000ly down in elevation, and start "flying" towards home. Use the star map and filter non-sequence stars.

Screenshot enclosed - I have a straight-line view to NGC 6357 and Lugh (home base). EESHORKS AA-A nebula is in the vicinity. This is just the non-sequence, carbon, and white dwarf stars in one grid. The grids keep going and going. This is 17k ly from Lugh, so if you're coming from Sag A* and heading back, they're 8k ly or less from your position. A great place to get lost. Safe flying, CMDR!

I am pretty much 2500ly directly ahead of you! I've changed my mind and decided to "surface" and hit a couple of planetary nebulae on the way before diving again and heading towards Great Annihilator.

Man all this scanning, I really hope I get a decent credit return when I get back to base and report to the emperor.

I've scanned hundreds of systems and I've yet to find an eath like world. :(

But I did find my first system with both a black hole and a neutron star....so hopefully that'll be worth something. :)

Neutron Stars... considerably more dangerous than Black Holes. How does that work?

(Actually I know, it's the 10,000,000k surface temperature as opposed to 0k, but it still seems counter intuitive).

Neutron Stars... considerably more dangerous than Black Holes. How does that work?

(Actually I know, it's the 10,000,000k surface temperature as opposed to 0k, but it still seems counter intuitive).

You hit it on the head. Since gravity strength varies as the inverse square of the distance, for all practical purposes the gravitational danger posed by a neutron star is equivalent to that posed by a black hole (both being incredibly compacts massive bodies that pose significant danger due to tidal disruption to any normal matter that gets fairly close). However, unless the black hole has an accretion disk (and most probably won't), the black hole doesn't radiate in any significant amount, so the only danger from the black hole is confined to the tidal disruption caused by the gravity relatively close to the event horizon. The neutron star, on the other hand, is likely radiating x-rays up to gamma rays in immense quantities, posing a danger far beyond the tidal disruption distance.

Excellently good post OP - have some rep.

I have just been out to your 'near field' for 10 days of neutron farming and am sculling the forum while I sell my data. Been 2 hours so far and just made 100 million with, it would appear by the sluggish reaction of the carto interface, loads more to sell still. Oh and I made Elite. I jumped to and pinged a minimum of 320 neutrons per day, all previously undiscovered and in addition found 49 undiscovered black holes. Be careful of those varmints! Some of them are so small that when you arrive with zero throttle they are so close that even at minimum speed of 30km/s you will start to get into heat damage very quick. I very quickly wished I had taken more than one auto field repair thingies

I found this thread by chance and it has saved me the minor hassle of putting up a post.

I was going to post tha the nearest place to start jumping between neutrons I found was CLOOKEOU CM-M D7-5 which is only 12k ly from the home systems - or to put it another way you only have to go half way to the core to get into the big exploring cash cow.

Off to find out how this trading thingumy works

Last edited:
You hit it on the head. Since gravity strength varies as the inverse square of the distance, for all practical purposes the gravitational danger posed by a neutron star is equivalent to that posed by a black hole (both being incredibly compacts massive bodies that pose significant danger due to tidal disruption to any normal matter that gets fairly close). However, unless the black hole has an accretion disk (and most probably won't), the black hole doesn't radiate in any significant amount, so the only danger from the black hole is confined to the tidal disruption caused by the gravity relatively close to the event horizon. The neutron star, on the other hand, is likely radiating x-rays up to gamma rays in immense quantities, posing a danger far beyond the tidal disruption distance.

It has always seems weird to me that you can get so close to black holes (even in real life I think it's true). In science fiction they are portrayed as these doomsday things, but they are not much different from normal stars. It takes a stellar mass black hole a very long time to eat another star. There's a hard limit to how quickly they can consume matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Love the thread btw....I had no idea the "explored space" area of this game is already so big. Individual players have already explored new systems larger than the entire universe in Eve.

Radiation is also a function of surface area, so even though a neutron star is Hot is isn't very bright. The individual photons are more energetic but there are far fewer of them, so in terms of heat energy transfer it could be cooler than our stars corona.

Since our Sun's corona is 1,000,000K, then why can we park inside it with no problems? Why does moving away in SC generate heat? The answer is that radiation isn't harmful to ships in 3301. But energetic hydrogen particles in the corona hitting the hull at relativistic speeds can reduce heat dissipation enough for the ship to damage itself from within.

But a neutron star by definition has no corona, so there is a bit of inconsistency here.

If it's radiation that damages a ship, then parking in normal space inside a corona or neutron star should continually increase your heat. And heading away in SC should red shift the light enough to make it relatively harmless. Heading in SC directly toward a star would blue shift the light and burn your ship to a cinder.

Last edited:
The neutron star, on the other hand, is likely radiating x-rays up to gamma rays in immense quantities, posing a danger far beyond the tidal disruption distance.

There is a periodic shower of gamma rays on earth whose origin is thought to be 120 million light years away. That gives you an idea of the strength of those things. Scientists think the source is two neutron stars colliding into each other. (Put another way, they have no clue what else it could be but that, and given that we don't see anything at that range, it's all a mathematical model)
Those rays are too weak to be a danger to us but everything within hundreds of light years of the source must be fried.

Last edited:
Top Bottom