Exploration : Mini Neutron Field guide

TL;DR : Go to -2100 , -1250 , 18600 or DRYAA FLYUAE LM-W E1-2252 in the Galactic map and you will find millions of Neutron stars(and many black holes) within a few 1000 LYs of that system. Pick a region on the map near it and go there to start your surveying :)

p.s. there is also another Neutron field above the galactic plane, around +1200 in the Y-axis

------------------
This guide is for the semi-experienced explorer, hope it helps.
If you are totally new to exploration then go see nutter :D https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=81653
-----------------
You can cut and paste system names from here straight on to the galactic map !

Galactic map co-ordinate system : X,Y,Z e.g. -500, 200, 6562
First number is the lateral position(left/right) on the map
2nd number is height(up/down)
3rd is depth(from nearest to the civilisation bubble, to the core and beyond)
0,0,0 is SOL

How to set your galactic map to only show Neutron/Black hole systems : open map -- view -- show by colour -- star class -- only enable "non-sequence" , remove all the other star classes.
-----------------
When deep exploring(long range) I tend to decide on a route/places I want to go to and then finish up,before turning back, by going to the neutron fields to make a bit more credits. Not only you get to do what you want(initial exploration route), but you make more credits towards getting your Exploration Elite rank. As of right now Neutron stars pay about 36750 Cr approx. (Black Holes about 40000) , these values vary slightly. Remember that on most of those you will get a 50% bonus for first discovery !

If you are mainly trying to make lots of credits, then I suggest trading and not exploring :)

The Neutron field is a vast area full of Neutron/Black Hole systems, but importantly, you can go from one neutron star to another in less than the jump range of the Asp. In fact if you make it to the denser parts of this field, you can reach the next neuty in less than 5 LY on most occasions . The ideal distance for a 32 LY jump range Asp is to do jumps that are less than 12 LY , as it is very efficient at those distances and on one tank of fuel, you can visit over 100 systems !
The other thing the Neutron field has lots of is scoopable systems, so you will never run out of fuel :)
-----------------
The Top/Right/Front of the Neutron field(i.e. closest to SOL) is at around co-ordinates -900 , -1050 , 14800 . A system around there would be FLOARPS MX-U E2-1530 . So this is the front edge of the field that is closest to the civilisation bubble. I am not in the bubble so my best guesstimate is you have to go about 16000-17000 to get there.

The really dense part of the Neutron Field is quite wide but I will give you one co-ordinate to start with
-2100 , -1250 , 18600 or DRYAA FLYUAE LM-W E1-2252
The best way to go about this is to make your way eventually to the dense part, but pick and choose a destination first. If you play with the map , around the last co-ordinates I posted above, you will see you have a huge choice of where to go !!!
-----------------
Some stats on the Neutron Field :
(all values below are approximate)
To the best of my knowledge of looking around the map :
Width = 8000 LY ( from -900 to -9000)
Height = 700 LY (from -1000 to -1700)
Depth = 14000 LY (from 15000 to 29000) , yes, beyond the core !!!

My most conservative(and I mean very very conservative) estimate is that we have upwards of 300 Million Neutron/Black hole systems in that region alone.

Before anyone cries "now you've let the secret out" , it was not a secret, and there is enough undiscovered systems to go around for years to come for all of us :)
-----------------
Until we get multiple waypoint capability, we have to set every jump manually(we only want neutron systems,except if we need re-fuelling). Don't be dazzled by all the neutron systems around you, just go in a straight line(left to right, front to back or diagonally) and keep to that plan and ignore any system that is not in your path. If you spread your systems , then even if you come back on exactly the same path, you won't have to worry about finding a system you haven't been to.

One final tip. When you get to the Neutron fields, go to your map and disable the route lines, as it helps immensely . To do that go to your Map, then the Navigation tab, and see if economical or fastest route is chosen. Which ever is chosen, click on it, and now both options are off :)

Last edited:
What is the safe distance for a neutron star, i always end up taking some heat damage. Last one was 0.22LY at the very edge.

What is the safe distance for a neutron star, i always end up taking some heat damage. Last one was 0.22LY at the very edge.

Once your FSD countdown starts, set throttle to ZERO :)
On arrival , scan the star
pick next system/star
start FSD
immediately turn away towards your new target at full speed

Once your FSD countdown starts, set throttle to ZERO :)
On arrival , scan the star
pick next system/star
start FSD
immediately turn away towards your new target at full speed

Thanks. I will try it tonight, always wary around a NS, scary little buggers.

+1

Really helpful as I am heading there right now....well, first I have to go to three other stops, but..who's counting?!!

Anyways, really good to have this as I was going to start looking in the forums and in the maps for this field surrounding the core.

Many thanks - I'm out here looking for it right now and have been searching threads for info most of today !

I was lead to believe there's a neutron bubble in the positive Y co-ordinates too - do you know if that's the case ?

Starting my first run to Sag A*, and about 4k into the journey. Not in too much of a hurry to get there - enjoying the sights as I go. So, I finish up my daily jaunt, and go to galaxy map to "fly" around. About 7K+ in front of me is such a neutron star field. ' wow... solid neutrons, grid by grid, going on forever. This will be a fun exercise. The challenge will be the willpower to go directly to the core, or get distracted by shiny (and dense) objects? Maybe chart a course to Sag A* and then spend a month in the non-sequence field on the way back.

Maybe chart a course to Sag A* and then spend a month in the non-sequence field on the way back.

Yep, that's what I'm doing. :) It was actually quite a relief to get the visit to Sag. A over with... All sense of urgency or having to do something has now completely left me, and I am truly just wandering around exploring. I'm at the edges of a neutron field currently... The map is still filled with them.

0.22 is normal, and safe. Just ensure your throttle is zero when you drop out of hyperspace. :)

I always, in addition to this, make sure I stay focused during the scan.
My neutron damage so far has not been from dropping out, but throttling up after deciding on my next location.

Now I
1. Charge friendship drive with throttle below blue zone
2. Throttle up when the drive is charged, then throttle down to zero
3. Arrive. Honk. Scan the neutron
4. Turn away from the neutron so the blue dot is right at the edge of my scope - so heading about 90 degrees away
5. Look at galaxy map to plot my next star

This has saved me any further mishaps.

Yes, up or down 1000Ly when you're in the core, and you'll hit neutron stars. :)

I'm heading out the other side of the core in this field now. It's very dense.

You can happily sit facing the Neutron Star with zero throttle for 10+ minutes without any danger of falling into the gravity well. Don't worry so much. Just make sure you move at least 90 degrees from the gravity lines before engaging the throttle to leave.

- - - Updated - - -

Many thanks - I'm out here looking for it right now and have been searching threads for info most of today !

I was lead to believe there's a neutron bubble in the positive Y co-ordinates too - do you know if that's the case ?

The neutron bubbles can be found at -1000y and + 1000y all over and in between.

I'm ploughing through the lower neutron fields at the moment.

I visualise it as a torus above and below the galactic plane.
I started at around [2000:-1000:15000] in the Floawns sector so I'm the "other side" of 0 line from you dognosh.
I took a "wandering ant" approach, but slowly headed directly along the positive Y axis. I left Floawns sector behind and entered Graeae Phio sector. Then I skipped up to a nebula in Eeshorks, then down to Lychoitl ZJ-A e4812 for the gorgeous planetary nebula. Now I've dived back into the neutron fields and I'm heading away from the core along the positive X axis. I guess I'm around [3500:-1200:19000] right now (just below the Norma and 3Kpc Arms) and still in the thick of it.

Don't think that you will "tread on someone's turf" if you go to the same general area. I've incidentally come across 2 systems in a row previously discovered, so I chose a random direction and made two 33ly jumps to break the trail. I've not come across another previously discovered system since. There are quite literally THOUSANDS of neutron stars and black holes in these fields. More than enough to go around and only a small chance of another player ninja first discovery bonus from you.

Also in the thick of it atm, slowly crawling to Sag-A. To add insult to injury, started with the White Dwarfs now as well.......a system with neutrons, black holes and white dwarfs really elevates the blood-pressure :D

Throttle to zero as mentioned as you go into jump. What I do after scanning is nose the ship down with no throttle until I am facing down away from the star then engage throttle.

Once you get the knack you will be jumping between them like a pro. Was heading back home after scanning 1100 hundred of them.
Sitting 10,000ly from my base but maybe turn around and head back into the fields.

Top Bottom