exploration minigame 6 months later

Would y'all lay off the personal remarks and attacks? It's like baiting the moderators to close this thread. Unless that's what some of you want, of course.

Back on topic then.

I think there are some more elephants in the room. Let's face it: even inside an already niche activity, very few people head out into the unknown deep galaxy. Most of exploration is done by travelling from known point (of interest) A to known point B, and looking through undiscovered systems along the way. Take a look at the decaying heatmap on EDAstro, or at the Commanders Map, and you'll see what I mean. On the former, you could even manually count how many people are going outside the beaten paths.
So going by player numbers only, such explorers would be the lowest priority. However, this is ignoring something important: that it is these deep galaxy explorers who tend to find new points of interest that others might visit later.

Second, while most people (here, at least) say exploring for credits and tags in a derogatory way, it might very well be that Frontier's metrics show that the most players do explore for credits, and the easy Elite rank. Tags are also a nice reward for them. FD can tell at what point do the most players stop exploring for good, and I find it likely that this was the reason why they buffed payouts through the roof but didn't adjust rank requirements accordingly. Simply put, they wanted to reward the most people with an Elite rank in exploration without it feeling like too much effort for them. In this case, it was likely that the most people got to around 35 million Cr in exploration scan profits and then stopped. Now, that same effort would reward them with around 300 million Cr, and an Elite rank. Job's done for them.
And since you have to do at least 20-30 jumps these days to find an undiscovered non-M main star system, which takes half an hour of boring gameplay, let's circumvent that by allowing people to put new tags on old stuff! So they don't have to go far. In fact, let's allow them to tag stuff that couldn't be tagged before, inside the bubble. (Also, let's automatically hand out tags too.) Never hurts to be sure.

This is of course the easy way. You could also increase the feeling of being rewarded by players by adding new, meaningful, fun and rewarding gameplay. However, that takes much more effort. Effort and time, the latter which the exploration update didn't have, as it was obviously rushed.

Existing player retention is obviously not a major concern now though, the focus is on improving new player retention. For that matter, FD might say they are happy with the FSS simply because they believe it showers people with enough credits and tags now, and long term player retention is even less of a concern with exploration as it is with the whole game. They likely believe that the New Era, whatever it will be, will bring back enough lost players anyway.
It's a dangerous gamble, however.

Still excellent! Might be nice to have celestial objects and signal sources separated in their own categories so they don't clutter each other on the systems that do have those signals, but otherwise I have no complaints.

Would y'all lay off the personal remarks and attacks? It's like baiting the moderators to close this thread. Unless that's what some of you want, of course.

Back on topic then.

I think there are some more elephants in the room. Let's face it: even inside an already niche activity, very few people head out into the unknown deep galaxy. Most of exploration is done by travelling from known point (of interest) A to known point B, and looking through undiscovered systems along the way. Take a look at the decaying heatmap on EDAstro, or at the Commanders Map, and you'll see what I mean. On the former, you could even manually count how many people are going outside the beaten paths.
So going by player numbers only, such explorers would be the lowest priority. However, this is ignoring something important: that it is these deep galaxy explorers who tend to find new points of interest that others might visit later.

Second, while most people (here, at least) say exploring for credits and tags in a derogatory way, it might very well be that Frontier's metrics show that the most players do explore for credits, and the easy Elite rank. Tags are also a nice reward for them. FD can tell at what point do the most players stop exploring for good, and I find it likely that this was the reason why they buffed payouts through the roof but didn't adjust rank requirements accordingly. Simply put, they wanted to reward the most people with an Elite rank in exploration without it feeling like too much effort for them. In this case, it was likely that the most people got to around 35 million Cr in exploration scan profits and then stopped. Now, that same effort would reward them with around 300 million Cr, and an Elite rank. Job's done for them.
And since you have to do at least 20-30 jumps these days to find an undiscovered non-M main star system, which takes half an hour of boring gameplay, let's circumvent that by allowing people to put new tags on old stuff! So they don't have to go far. In fact, let's allow them to tag stuff that couldn't be tagged before, inside the bubble. (Also, let's automatically hand out tags too.) Never hurts to be sure.

This is of course the easy way. You could also increase the feeling of being rewarded by players by adding new, meaningful, fun and rewarding gameplay. However, that takes much more effort. Effort and time, the latter which the exploration update didn't have, as it was obviously rushed.

Existing player retention is obviously not a major concern now though, the focus is on improving new player retention. For that matter, FD might say they are happy with the FSS simply because they believe it showers people with enough credits and tags now, and long term player retention is even less of a concern with exploration as it is with the whole game. They likely believe that the New Era, whatever it will be, will bring back enough lost players anyway.
It's a dangerous gamble, however.

Thanks for the link to timelapse videos - I was able to identify a particular trip I took out west, back when it was possible to find places hundreds of lightyears from any EDSM-logged systems.

When the 3 most prolific explorers (according to EDSM) are all saying that the FSS has spoiled exploration
This is an interesting anecdote.

EDSM says 0.01% of the Milky Way has been discovered, whereas FDev officially said 0.036% back in February. A useful dataset non-the-less, and a very nice sample size from the overall explorer-base.

EDSM ranks contributors by three methods:
The rankings of Logs and Discovered are similar, with both listing the top three as Allitnil (last played in Feb), Chiggy Vonrictofen (still playing), and Jackie Silver (last played in May).

According to their respective forum profiles, none of those three have provided feedback on the FSS to FDev here on these forums. Is their feedback public anywhere?

What is the feedback from the top 25 most prolific explorers? What is the feedback from the CMDRs active on the EDSM Discord, and EDSM's 155 Patreon supporters?

The rankings of Logs and Discovered are similar, with both listing the top three as Allitnil (last played in Feb), Chiggy Vonrictofen (still playing), and Jackie Silver (last played in May).

According to their respective forum profiles, none of those three have provided feedback on the FSS to FDev here on these forums. Is their feedback public anywhere?

Jackie Silver wasn't overly keen on it back when it was introduced...

This is an interesting anecdote.

EDSM says 0.01% of the Milky Way has been discovered, whereas FDev officially said 0.036% back in February. A useful dataset non-the-less, and a very nice sample size from the overall explorer-base.

EDSM ranks contributors by three methods:

What is the feedback from the top 25 most prolific explorers? What is the feedback from the CMDRs active on the EDSM Discord, and EDSM's 155 Patreon supporters?

Chiggy posted on the first page of this thread:

After some 20,000 jumps, I still dislike it as much as I did to start with. I play in spite of it, not because of it...(although alot less) Never really said much before about it, what's the point?..were stuck with it.

Marx provided links to Allitnil and Jacke Silver's comments on page 3 of this thread:

Also, let me quote two excellent posts from Jackie Silver and Allitnil, both still relevant:

(Go back to the original post to see the quotes)

It's mostly on the exploration subforum. I actually quoted Jackie's and Allitnil's great feedback earlier in this thread, in this post. Here you go:
Edit: whoops, didn't notice Drew gave that info just now.

Chiggy gave much less detailed feedback. Not sure where it was, but it's basically "I hate this, makes my eyes hurt too" and he's going around mapping all his previous ELWs, plus finding an ELW in every sector, then he said he'll be done.

As for the top X, you can check the flight log heatmaps of those who made theirs public. It's only for one year back though, and the dark day when the FSS was revealed back in 2018 September is coming up shortly.
Oh, and I say "dark day" because regardless of your stance on the FSS and all, it led to a steady and marked drop, and I don't think anyone would like that. 2018 November had the smallest number of new systems discovered.

Last edited:
Top Bottom