Exploration project - Gimle

After getting this wonderfull game last summer I've managed to tick of a lot of "bucket list exploration goals". My first big trip went to Sag A*. The second to Beagle point. On my third and so far biggest trip I visited evey region in the galaxy. So I thought I needed a new goal. A goal that might not even be out there. A "white whale" you might call it. The main reson will of course be just to find nice views and exciting places, but the goal itself will be to find a ringed ELW with a ELW moon.

Therefore the project name Gimle.

In Norse mythology, Gimlé (alternately Gimli as in Icelandic) is a place where the worthy survivors of Ragnarök are foretold to live. It is mentioned in the Prose Edda and the Eddic poem "Völuspá" and described as the most beautiful place in Asgard, more beautiful than the sun.

Is it possible to find such a world? Perhaps not. But then again, it's the journey that counts right. Not the goal itself.

Will post pictures in this thread but also on my CMDR twitter account.

Many have tried to find the ELW-ELM combination. In theory, such a a world is possible: there are numerous ELW moons where the primary planet is rated as terraformable, and there are numerous ELWs with terraformable moons. It's getting the two to come together, via the Stellar Forge algorithms, that is proving challenging.

There are two or three ELW-ELM pairs in the Bubble, but they are terraformed worlds in hand-crafted systems so don't really count.

There are two large roadblocks that an ELW-ELM pair has to overcome.

The first is the size the two planets need to have. The minimum size possible for a proc-genned ELW is 0.40 Earth-gravities. You typically need a world about the size of Mars to get that. For the Stellar Forge to create a moon big enough to become an ELW, it needs to be a very large primary planet; if the primary is too small, the Forge creates a binary planet instead of a planet+moon. Now, while worlds can be rated terraformable up to 1.99 Earth-gravities, the reality of the Stellar Forge is that it very, very rarely creates ELWs above 1.6 gravities. Getting moons with 0.4 or more gravities orbiting worlds of less than 1.6 Gravities is the crunch point.

The second is the "hot moon bug". Stellar Forge seems to make moons much hotter than they "should be"; we think it's trying to simulate tidal heating, but it's much stronger than it should be. Ths has the annoying tendency of making "perfect" ELM candidates too hot to become terraformable.

Last edited:
And you are looking for the ELW to be ringed.....a VERY long journey. (now watch him find the holy grail 100 jumps out)

That would indeed be an anticlimax. Fortunately it haven't happened yet. Found an ordinary water world pretty fast though.

waterworld.jpg

The second is the "hot moon bug". Stellar Forge seems to make moons much hotter than they "should be"; we think it's trying to simulate tidal heating, but it's much stronger than it should be. Ths has the annoying tendency of making "perfect" ELM candidates too hot to become terraformable.
There's also the atmospheric moon temperature bug, where the surface temperatures of moons with atmospheres are less than they should be. Frontier confirmed this years ago, but it has gone unfixed since. Of course, it's little wonder that they wouldn't do it before they had to rework atmosphere generation for atmospheric flight anyway.

Also, another problem for an ELW+ELM pair is getting the atmospheric composition right for both of them. If memory serves, there were a couple of examples that almost made it, but something ended up in one of their atmospheres that disqualified them from being Earth-like. Given how different atmospheres of parents and their moons can end up, this is a pretty large obstacle to overcome too.

Things like these stack up, and in the end, it's little wonder that none of the ~210,000 natural Earth-likes we know of are an ELW+ELM pair. Sometimes I wonder if an ELM+ELMM (Earth-like Moon Moon :p) wouldn't have slightly better chances, but it's not like one of those have been found either.

Encountered what I assume should be an "impossible" system. A black hole as the main body with one tauri star 4 ls away from it but also a blue-white star 22 ls away.
20200316-2.jpg

Impossible? Hard to say. T Tauris are young stars, still collapsing out of the primordial gas; the black hole is a result of a massive young star that exploded, presumably not too long ago if there's T Tauris still hanging about. The supernova blast that created the black hole should have obliterated any nearby gas cloud, starving the T Tauri of any further inflow of gas; the shockwave should have either obliterated the star completely (especially if it was originally so close), or stripped away the loosely attached gases and rendering it into a brown dwarf, or even a mundane gas giant.

Of course, if the Stellar Forge has modelled the T Tauri being captured after the black hole formed, then all bets are off. But in reality, a star in such a close orbit should be being stripped of gas by the black hole. Or, the friction from all the other gas and dust orbiting the black hole should be slowly dragging the star inwards to its doom. Alas, stellar interactions are not (yet!) modelled in ED, and dynamic orbital interactions (such as orbital decay) are impossible: orbits, once generated by the Stellar Forge, follow Newton's railway tracks and can never change.

Name:Hewish's and Burnell's Retreat
Game map search ref:Croomoi DA-A d3436 3
Description:A ringed heavy gravity planet, almost twice of Earth, with several geological areas. Most striking is however one area filled with green sinuous tubers in a desert like surrounding.
Screenshot reference:View attachment 166087

So today I reached first discovered elw number 300. Of those 300 only one has been a ringed elw. And that earth like didn't even have any moon. So it seems that the search will continue for an unforeseeable future.

However. The 300th elw was something extraordinary. Orbiting directly around a white dwarf/L dwarf binary combo.

EuIfpUWWgAEEWoD

EuIfpUSXUAAO6Zx

Top Bottom