Exploration Ship Builds

So, to have top-level conda for explore i need to farm fsd-booster(range is always good), remove ADS and replace it with research limpets. Is that correct? No engineering metas since 3.1? Nice!

Sounds good to me. Repair limpets are always nice too, but again, not strictly necessary. The engineering is basically the same, yep.

Well, seems i am out of idea what's new after march. And site in first post not working. Now have a bit of time till 3.3 to build explor ship. I heard that 80ly for now is good, but i have only 66. Also there are new explore items in 3.3.
So can anyone tell what to change in my conda, or now there is new meta? Here's link to edshipyard: http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=B062,...0PA87Q401IM008c16hC0mpT2jwHu21000K_OK0nE02UI1

Corrected the link on the first post. Was broken due to name change for the web page.
Thanks for pointing this out.

After reviewing Manwithagun's ship build, the repair limpet controller added a safety feature that i have personally overlooked. Being able to repair the hull of a Commanders own ship by launching a limpet without a target. Noticing that some of the ships on the site could benefit from this feature i have added statistics for those vessels. Those ships with extra unused internal space have information regarding various size repair limpet controllers, and how it would impact the ships ranges, and in some cases its maximum sustainable cargo capacity.
Mostly as additional ideas on what could be put in empty slots to increase pilot safety while exploring.

Updated each ship to include a snapshot of which core internals and optional internals are installed for each build, along with which engineer modifications used.
I wanted it to be a pretty info graph but could not find the right way to display it that would not take a ton of time to hand craft each one, so in the end it is just basic text. Better to have the information then not.

p.s. I fly all my ships on half size tanks, since you're min/maxing you should do the same in your examples, your range would be higher :)
(half size tanks work just fine as I've done all my expeditions with them)

Great list, but I'm in the jump range isn't everything camp. +1 for the effort of compiling all this info my dude.

Very much this. I wouldn't fit a 2A powerplant on my Anaconda, it also has 7A thrusters for MOAR POWO. Oh, SLF. Canyons are too dangerous to bring my main ship into them and just too inviting not to dive in.

Still, +rep from me for the effort and optimization!

^^^ This
Which means well done for your effort, and I prefer max boost, spare SRV(like on DW1) and a few other comforts, in lieu of range :)

I totally understand this design type, its just another flavor of explorer. myself i have little play time so i lean more for the jump range camp, gives me more options to reach the far away locations in little time, or head home in a hurry if i am itching for trade or combat. My friend is the total opposite as he will spend entire play sessions in one system looking at every little speck of dust, and more power to him. For him exploring is everything, that is the game for him, i also enjoy the other game loops so these builds are biased in this regard.

In regards to reducing fuel tank size for better jump range. It is completely feasible but carries more risk. These builds are designed to increase pilot safety while exploring, and having dipped my toe in with the fuel rats and seen how often people actually run out of fuel i have leaned away from this design choice. But in the right Commanders hand's it can be a very worth while modification.

As for the fuel tank choices it is just a matter of flavor. Me, I fly with a full sized one. Since my style is to not min/max I sacrifice a little range for more metal to smash into things with. Others want get there NOW. ;) Nothing wrong with either choice, again just a matter of flavor.

BTW I'm the old fart in the fast lane on the freeway doing 56 mph so make sure you wave when you're zipping past.

Fly far, be safe, have fun!

In my effort to find which ship i wanted to explore the galaxy with after Horizion 3.3 i started building ships with Coriolis.io beta.
Well this little project turned into mountains of data that i decided to put into a simple website for others to view, which turns out is better to look at then raw data on a spread sheet.

Here is the link, i hope someone finds it useful. I know i did by finding out what the Krait Phantom and the Passenger ships can do and surprising on some of the older ships i would have ignored as an explorer ship.

https://sites.google.com/view/edexplorationships/exploration-ships

Edit Update: Thanks for all the advice and suggestions in flushing out this web site. Below is a list of features the site currently contains.
1. Exploration builds that use key modules designed for jump range and pilot safety.
2. Engineering modification details for each module used
3. Which Engineers are required
4. Quantity of materials required for the builds.
5. Quick comparison graphs of all ship designs
6. Links how to obtain the Guardian FSD Booster which is used in the builds.
7. Full page of ship images with listed jump range, and crew size for a quick overview.
8. Dedicated details page for each build
9. link to the coriolis.io web page for each build
10. A scoring system that all builds adhere to for comparisons, called Exploration Score
11. A lore friendly description of each build
12. obscure details obtain from other commanders hard work in game including. Scoop Rate, and Supercruise handling rates.
13. resting heat information for each ship currently available on beta.coriolis.io
14. A list of positive attributes that each ship build contains biased on the scoring system

Edit Update: The link was broken because i changed the sites name from Home to Exploration-ships
I have now updated the link which should work correctly now.

Looks gorgeous!

Some engineering feedback:

On the first build I clicked on(Asp E) you had a G5 OC PP which tends to run really hot and is a poor choice in general.
You also have unused power so it's extra heat for nothing.
A G1 armored with stripped down will cover your power needs and run much cooler, @ only .05 t more mass.

I also noticed the PD was Hi-cap, but I suggest you'd be better served with engine focused, for boosting purposes.

Lastly, dirty drives are hands down better than clean except for silent running.
If you have overheating problems, it is because of that OC pp, not the thrusters.

Eg
https://s.orbis.zone/16t0

PS, forgot to mention the bulkheads.
HD/deep plating adds significant hull integrity but still has no mass when applied to stock bulkheads.

o7

Last edited:
Beautiful site! Bookmarked [up].

And looking at the builds I was reminded to get back to the Bubble to make a luxury Beluga explorer [yesnod].

Last edited:
Looks gorgeous!

Some engineering feedback:

On the first build I clicked on(Asp E) you had a G5 OC PP which tends to run really hot and is a poor choice in general.
You also have unused power so it's extra heat for nothing.
A G1 armored with stripped down will cover your power needs and run much cooler, @ only .05 t more mass.

I also noticed the PD was Hi-cap, but I suggest you'd be better served with engine focused, for boosting purposes.

Lastly, dirty drives are hands down better than clean except for silent running.
If you have overheating problems, it is because of that OC pp, not the thrusters.

Eg
https://s.orbis.zone/16t0

PS, forgot to mention the bulkheads.
HD/deep plating adds significant hull integrity but still has no mass when applied to stock bulkheads.

o7

Bob Lighthouse i like your build for the Asp Explorer, very fine tweaking. This site is just one suggestion, and by no means the definitive source. But all the ships used Grade 5 Over Charged power plants to keep the builds universal. So the list of materials required for the build are the same across the board.

I have an asp Explorer personally and i don't use what is listed on the site, i run with lightweight weapons and a class C shield.
Builds are very much personal preference and the aim of the site was to throw out viable ideas to build from. So Commander can get an general idea of what each ship can do when built as an explorer in order to save people the time, effort and cost of trying to build these in game only to find out the ship does not meet their expectations.

The Lighthouse Asp Explorer is a great build, it has a better heat efficiency with negligible difference in Travel and Jump Range compared to the one on the site. The main difference is the Power plant is capped should a Commander decided in the future to outfit more modules that demand power. I make no claim that any or all ships on the site have the intended purpose of expansion, some indeed are built to a limit that could not accept anything more without changing core internals.
But in the end the Lighthouse Asp Explorer is a very nice build and i would recommend it to any explorer.

Regarding the Power Distributor, these builds use the High Charge because it provides bonuses to shields that the Engine focus does not. The internal debate was which should be chosen for these builds. Using the core concept of Jump range and Pilot Safety as a personal motto it was decided to use the High Charge. That is honestly the only reason it was used, otherwise Engine focus is very much a great choice.

Last edited:
I agree - this is my Phantom build that I’ll be taking out into the black soon (final engineering to be completed) and even with decent speed, 500MJ shields and a couple of (lightweight plasma slug!) rail guns for protection it gets a circa 60LY jump range loaded with 2x SRVs, repair limpets and AFMU!

https://coriolis.io/outfit/krait_ph...b0TsNLoBAAA=.EweloBhBmcQUwIYHMA28QgIwVyKBQA==

Great build Tolm, The Phantom is a very diverse ship with superior jump range.
On your build i had a few questions biased on your phrasing "taking out into the black" i took as meaning you will be exploring.
1. Is this a multi role ship?
because i was confused why explorers would bring weapons. i know myself i took weapons out under the false assumption we might actually run into something dangerous, but as of yet everything has been benign or at most devoid of intelligent hostiles, assuming you don't go looking for Thargoids. Which any lightweight human weapons i put on would not protect me against them anyway. So on my next build i have decided to strip off the weapons.
My best guess is seeing weapons, coupled with a multitude of shield banks makes me think this is protection from humans which primary concern would be entering/exiting the bubble. If im returning with a bounty of exploration data and i get interdicted, im not staying around to fight. Basic question, in your opinion why equip weapons for an exploration ship.

2. No detailed surface scanner. I scratched my head on this design choice. without one finding the unique structures on the surface can be a pain. My experiencing of explorers is they like money too and using the DSS at a minimum to scan interesting bodies while your there just puts credits in your pockets. Earth-likes, water worlds etc. Question then becomes what was the design reason to not equip a DSS?

3. Lastly i see 32T of extra fuel, which in of itself i can think of many reasons to bring more fuel. Fuel rats occupation is one, but dont see transfer limpets. Increased travel range so your not spending all your time scooping seems reasonable. but this build has a powerful fuel scoop in addition. Just wondered what was your personal preference for bringing more fuel?

Thanks in advance for your reply, looking forward to seeing the view points of other explorers design decisions.

Side note: Coriolis has your build with collector limpets, not repair limpets.

Last edited:
because i was confused why explorers would bring weapons. i know myself i took weapons out under the false assumption we might actually run into something dangerous, but as of yet everything has been benign or at most devoid of intelligent hostiles, assuming you don't go looking for Thargoids. Which any lightweight human weapons i put on would not protect me against them anyway. So on my next build i have decided to strip off the weapons.
A directed photon beam can also be used as a science tool. Possibly some of the other "weapons" have scientific uses too, but there's only so much that fits on one ship.

A mining laser can be used to harvest minerals for synthesis if you run out of SRVs.

There are plenty of reasons to put something in the hardpoints - with lightweight engineering a small item takes a trivial 0.18t - and you never know what you might miss if you don't.

Top Bottom