Exploration Ship Builds

In my effort to find which ship i wanted to explore the galaxy with after Horizion 3.3 i started building ships with Coriolis.io beta.
Well this little project turned into mountains of data that i decided to put into a simple website for others to view, which turns out is better to look at then raw data on a spread sheet.

Here is the link, i hope someone finds it useful. I know i did by finding out what the Krait Phantom and the Passenger ships can do and surprising on some of the older ships i would have ignored as an explorer ship.

https://sites.google.com/view/edexplorationships/exploration-ships

Features of the site.
The primary goal of the site is to provide commanders with Exploration builds options and detailed information on ship statistics when designing an explorer ship.
1. A detailed explorer build for every ship currently in the game.
2. Different load-outs for each ship to fit different play styles.
3. Each ship includes Information about.
Travel Range
Jump Range
Scoop Rate per jump
Power Plant Efficiency
Price
Crew size
Supercruise Movement Profile
Module priority
Core Internals and Engineering Modifications required
Optional Internal load-out and two or more different designs.
Materials required for engineering.
Stations that sell the ship and key internals.
4. A page of graphical charts to compare ship stats to all other ship designs on the site.
5. Quick access to CMDR Exigeous instruction video on unlock the Guardian FSD Booster, which each build uses.
6. Quick links to Inara.cz Material Trader and Tech Broker locations.
7. A link to coriolis.io for each ship build.

Last edited:
Well, that looks much better than what I expected from the title and the description. "Simple website", after all. Well done!

Since you used plenty of data, I'd recommend adding two more things which can be quantified: supercruise handling (see data here) and max. fuel scoop class to FSD class ratio. Handy for determining how quickly a given ship can scoop. If memory serves, Jackie Silver did a handy compilation of that already, but I can't seem to find it.

In my effort to find which ship i wanted to explore the galaxy with after Horizion 3.3 i started building ships with Coriolis.io beta.
Well this little project turned into mountains of data that i decided to put into a simple website for others to view, which turns out is better to look at then raw data on a spread sheet.

Here is the link, i hope someone finds it useful. I know i did by finding out what the Krait Phantom and the Passenger ships can do and surprising on some of the older ships i would have ignored as an explorer ship.

https://sites.google.com/view/edexplorationships/home

For me the 'Conda has it still the meta for long term exploration, although it's a slug in supercruise and has limited visuals.

I'm thinking the Phantom has it all right now.

Orvidius how did you figure the scoop ratio's?
Did you take the FSD's Max Fuel convert to kg's then divide that by the Fuel Scoops rate?
ie. the Challenger 5A FSD max fuel 5.0T, 6A Fuel Scoop 878kg/s (5T = 4535.92kg's / 878 = 5.16seconds)
Your site shows 5.7seconds

ie. the Challenger 5A FSD max fuel 5.0T, 6A Fuel Scoop 878kg/s (5T = 4535.92kg's / 878 = 5.16seconds)

Using a metric tonne which is 1000kg. 5000/878 = 5.7.

FDev being a UK company are more likely to use that than the US ton that you are using.

Those are nice builds. I never thought Type-10 can jump further than Type-9...

I'm surprised though, that in some cases you've left optional slots empty.
Wouldn't it be better to have something there if possible?
As I understand it, even empty cargo rack would be beneficial, because it will help to spread out damage to the modules.

edit:I'm actually not so sure about cargo rack, but AMFU f.ex should do that, while having no weight

Last edited:
Orvidius how did you figure the scoop ratio's?
Did you take the FSD's Max Fuel convert to kg's then divide that by the Fuel Scoops rate?

Using a metric tonne which is 1000kg. 5000/878 = 5.7.

FDev being a UK company are more likely to use that than the US ton that you are using.

Yep, using metric tons as 1000 kg, rather than 2000 lbs.

As I understand it, even empty cargo rack would be beneficial, because it will help to spread out damage to the modules.

edit:I'm actually not so sure about cargo rack, but AMFU f.ex should do that, while having no weight

Right, the cargo rack won't help with damage distribution, but the AFMU will, while also providing more repair "ammo" and helping repair faster if you have enough power to run them together.

Cargo racks can be used to plot courses with shorter jumps though, by "simulating" cargo in the route plotter, if you want to use a little less fuel per jump or something. It's a pretty niche case though.

Right, the cargo rack won't help with damage distribution, but the AFMU will, while also providing more repair "ammo" and helping repair faster if you have enough power to run them together.

Cargo racks can be used to plot courses with shorter jumps though, by "simulating" cargo in the route plotter, if you want to use a little less fuel per jump or something. It's a pretty niche case though.

I just realised that it was your page with exploration tips that I used (among others) when I started exploring, and that's probably where I learned that "Empty slots are useless" advice in the first place.
Good stuff, helped me a lot, so I would like to take this opportunity to thank you :)

I just realised that it was your page with exploration tips that I used (among others) when I started exploring, and that's probably where I learned that "Empty slots are useless" advice in the first place.
Good stuff, helped me a lot, so I would like to take this opportunity to thank you :)

Awesome, glad to help! :D

That's a great piece of work, but I'm horrified that you have omitted one of the earliest exploration ships - the Adder! :p

Even without a FSD booster and not fully engineered she'll jump 40ly+

Very nice work, but if I may... I peeked at the type-6, a personal favorite of mine, and I saw a grade D powerplant with grade 5 overcharged. That made me wince in sympathetic pain. (The 'type' ships already run hot, an overcharged grade D ship would be like flying an oven)

I would gently, but emphatically suggest any design using a D-grade powerplant be updated to use an A-grade to reduce heat issues. Heat is one of the big enemies of explorers after all.

Thanks for the advice
I have updated the site to include the following.
1: Marx's supercruise movement rates.
2: Orvidius's Fuel Scoop rates (and thanks iaian666 for the math details)
3: Updated all Class D power planets to class A (thank you Lance 'Spacecat' D, i agree with you)

Additional reply to 13A/24B's question about the Adder. I also like the ship but set goals for the builds to have key internal's to qualify. I may add the other ships as "unsafe" exploration ships. or something like that.

'minimalist' or 'starter' would be a good word in lieu of 'unsafe'. Think of the Hauler and Adder as the first low-cost explorers a budding traveller can own. So don't slam a 3A AFMU in them (That would cost more than the rest of the ship, heh). I'd put in a C or D graded AFMU to save on cost. These may not even need one since a starter would likely not use the neutron route/go very far...

For a beginner, the Hauler does better without a SRV bay, the Adder does better if you carry one (handles the weight better). So they're both different, yet feasible 'my first explorer' ships.

Oh, be prepared to review all these designs when the patch hits, since discovery scanners will be integrated to all ships, clearing one module slot.

Edit: Though thinking about it again, this list is a set of fully engineered, FSD boosted designs, so not the place for a starter, hrm. I withdraw my suggestions... But with one less slot, more ships will be open next patch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom