Exploration sickness?

Greeting cmdr.I will like to know a if any explorer feels like a kind of boredom and tired of always finding nearly the same kind of things every jumps.Am atm in my second big trip after sag a.This time am heading after sag A a anti clockwise from opposite colonia to beagle pt, and turn until colonia again ,am heading to beagle point atm from the outer rims, but am feeling bored ,finding things is so limited in types and interest,i wanna know how you guys managed ,i play on console so third party tools or help to ease the jouney is kinda limited,i have waited so long for this trip,have achieve all my intended goals so far last one was triple elite , i made some good codex entry too, but am questioning the point to this trip.I did lay off severals days weeks to have some time away.But still boring,so is it my fault or is the galaxy lacking woah things? Thank you cmdr and i do loved the game played it since released on ps4.

Neutron boosting! You should totally do it. Don't wait a year as I did. :)
That is, if you have at least one AFMU equipped.

Otherwise. Check EDSM for some truly amazing things along the way :)

Neutron boosting! You should totally do it. Don't wait a year as I did. :)
That is, if you have at least one AFMU equipped.

Otherwise. Check EDSM for some truly amazing things along the way :)
Not sure about the neutron boosting, you just get there faster ;)
But EDSM, definitely as you may be surprised at what is nearby.
When out in the Abyss, just looking for that unvisited system can be fun ...

Burn-out happens. Some of the things you might try is narrowing your search along the way. Some play the EW/AW game, some are looking for those oddball numbers in orbits, rotations, eccentricity in orbit, high mass/lo mass, or sometimes just looking for great shiny for some wowza screenshots. One of the things that to me seems mostly missing are checking out those Rockies, HMCs, and IWs for amazing surface forming by the Stellar Forge. If an explorer's focus is on just get from A-B then a lot of the wonder that the forge can put into systems and stats get bypassed as you just jump away. Heck I dunno, we each have our ways but I just try to mix it up with different goals that don't involve "are we there yet".

Like I said, I understand burnout but it happens hauling freight when I get back to bubble too, or hunting the most wanted from System Boogeyman. Then I'm chomping at the bit to get the heck out of Dodge and away from the all you darn humans.

Good luck working it out. Fly far, be safe, and most of all pick yourself out some fun along the way.

Burn-out happens. Some of the things you might try is narrowing your search along the way. Some play the EW/AW game, some are looking for those oddball numbers in orbits, rotations, eccentricity in orbit, high mass/lo mass, or sometimes just looking for great shiny for some wowza screenshots. One of the things that to me seems mostly missing are checking out those Rockies, HMCs, and IWs for amazing surface forming by the Stellar Forge. If an explorer's focus is on just get from A-B then a lot of the wonder that the forge can put into systems and stats get bypassed as you just jump away. Heck I dunno, we each have our ways but I just try to mix it up with different goals that don't involve "are we there yet".

Like I said, I understand burnout but it happens hauling freight when I get back to bubble too, or hunting the most wanted from System Boogeyman. Then I'm chomping at the bit to get the heck out of Dodge and away from the all you darn humans.

Good luck working it out. Fly far, be safe, and most of all pick yourself out some fun along the way.
Thank you for all your input guys i mostly do xeno/biology and pathfinder for terraformable planets and such .Been narrowing for quite some times and have find great places ,screenshots,first found (Variation) of space biology ,but it seems to be boring after finding the same kind of stuff 50 times.So am mixing my work at the moment but the galaxy stiil feels empty,at least for its scope.as for neutron its a casual encounter for where am i but thanks ,i already enjoy the highway on my first trip to SagA, this time its not a A to B trip. Undiscovered system is all i find atm. Cheers cmdrs

you know what keeps me going is completing the codex for each system watching that blue find symbol come on cause i found some thing to add for my discovered, brings satisfaction, but it dose get a bit draining to get from one system to another.
i kinda wish there was more outposts in each system so we could take a break from scanning

I catch up on my shows, play with things such as EDDiscovery, EDSM, and do other things on my other monitor, such as reading forums as I am now. This of course is easier on a PC, but if you had a laptop it's an option I guess. All I really do now is explore and been doing it for the past few years, though I tend to do that on the side while watching my shows and such rather than just play the game with all focus on it.

To me it's more just relaxing and fun, to others it's sheer boredom. Just depends on the person I guess...

Eventually you may reach a point where you feel you are travelling the same path but in different vehicles. However, there is still plenty to search out and appreciate but a little down time is useful to ward off exploration lethargy.
I left Elite untouched for about four months and returned to appreciate it once more. I think of it like a tasting session where you have to gargle the box wine to get get at the 1945 Mouton Rothschild.
Sip slowly.

Last edited:
Good advice, all of this. Elite isn't a race. There isn't a finish line - especially in exploration. If you get tired of things, take a break. Play another game for a while. When you come back, it will seem fresh and all the sights will regain their wonder.

Oh, so RL can be included.
Well, one of the main reasons why I still play ED is that I can easily do everyday chores. I play on PS4 so no second monitor.
  • The dishes need to get into the dishwasher? One plate at a time, while jumping. Effectiv? Nope! Quite the opposite. But in the end it is done and I'm 25 jumps further.
  • Clothes from the washing machine need to go onto the clothing rack for drying? One piece at a time, while jumping. Effectiv? Nope! Quite the opposite. But in the end it is done and I'm 17 jumps further.
  • Some sorting jobs need to be done? One piece at a time … etc. pp.
So all the boring stuff that needs to be done but does not need my full attention is done during jumping. I've covered tens of thousands of lightyears this way.
But be aware of what the next star will be. If you allow Neutron Stars, you don't want to fly into them, while doing the dishes ;)

On the contrary. I usually have problems stopping - just one more jump syndrome. Maybe it is a system with an ELW moon. Or a system with > 100 bodies. Or it has Noteable Stellar Phenomena.

I am feeling like I did with those bloody booster packs for card games 20 years ago!

Yeah, that's a big part of it for me too-- Rolling the dice with every jump to see what comes up. :D

Some excellent viewpoints and advice in this thread. There's nothing wrong with taking a break from exploring, or from the game entirely. It is a game, after all.

I've done several things to help keep it from getting stale.

• Alternate exploration with other activities. For instance, I might explore for a few weeks, then spend a few weeks working on a faction reputation, or combat rank, or guardian ruins, or something else. When I've had enough of that, I go out exploring again.
  • Change ships. Each ship brings different advantages and disadvantages, and a different feel. This doesn't revitalize exploration itself, but can give me a reason to fly back to the bubble, work out some engineering, and figure out where to go next. It's not a "silver bullet" in itself for the simple fact that exploration is largely the same no matter what ship you fly, and what equipment you bring, except for the variations in how long it takes to get anywhere and how much you can repair yourself, etc.
  • Change strategies. Focus on something like planetary nebulae, or scenic landable moons, or hunt for trojan planets. Or, broaden your search to include all of those, and things you know to be rare or uncommon.
  • Photography! Looking for screenshot-worthy scenes can be fun and rewarding.
And of course, that's only scratching the surface.

Also, if you haven't tried it in VR... well, there's something new that will open up a whole new level of experience. ;)

Yes. For me personally (and five years later) there simply isn’t nearly enough variation of anything to warrant very long journeys.

Flimley

I catch up on my shows, play with things such as EDDiscovery, EDSM, and do other things on my other monitor, such as reading forums as I am now. This of course is easier on a PC, but if you had a laptop it's an option I guess. All I really do now is explore and been doing it for the past few years, though I tend to do that on the side while watching my shows and such rather than just play the game with all focus on it.

To me it's more just relaxing and fun, to others it's sheer boredom. Just depends on the person I guess...
Hmm yep apart music there is no option for me,dunno Don't like making a game a interlude of a show etc or vice versa.

Eventually you may reach a point where you feel you are travelling the same path but in different vehicles. However, there is still plenty to search out and appreciate but a little down time is useful to ward off exploration lethargy.
I left Elite untouched for about four months and returned to appreciate it once more. I think of it like a tasting session where you have to gargle the box wine to get get at the 1945 Mouton Rothschild.
Sip slowly.
I think too its the problem,lately been short on interesting games ,i completed some and resign others before this trip,big mistake i guess

Oh, so RL can be included.
Well, one of the main reasons why I still play ED is that I can easily do everyday chores. I play on PS4 so no second monitor.
  • The dishes need to get into the dishwasher? One plate at a time, while jumping. Effectiv? Nope! Quite the opposite. But in the end it is done and I'm 25 jumps further.
  • Clothes from the washing machine need to go onto the clothing rack for drying? One piece at a time, while jumping. Effectiv? Nope! Quite the opposite. But in the end it is done and I'm 17 jumps further.
  • Some sorting jobs need to be done? One piece at a time … etc. pp.
So all the boring stuff that needs to be done but does not need my full attention is done during jumping. I've covered tens of thousands of lightyears this way.
But be aware of what the next star will be. If you allow Neutron Stars, you don't want to fly into them, while doing the dishes ;)
-,wait what? Lol very funny quotes i like it , but gaming is recreation not a RL task to be tick for me . ._. I tend to hummm do one thing at a time.

Yeah, that's a big part of it for me too-- Rolling the dice with every jump to see what comes up. :D

Some excellent viewpoints and advice in this thread. There's nothing wrong with taking a break from exploring, or from the game entirely. It is a game, after all.

I've done several things to help keep it from getting stale.

• Alternate exploration with other activities. For instance, I might explore for a few weeks, then spend a few weeks working on a faction reputation, or combat rank, or guardian ruins, or something else. When I've had enough of that, I go out exploring again.
  • Change ships. Each ship brings different advantages and disadvantages, and a different feel. This doesn't revitalize exploration itself, but can give me a reason to fly back to the bubble, work out some engineering, and figure out where to go next. It's not a "silver bullet" in itself for the simple fact that exploration is largely the same no matter what ship you fly, and what equipment you bring, except for the variations in how long it takes to get anywhere and how much you can repair yourself, etc.
  • Change strategies. Focus on something like planetary nebulae, or scenic landable moons, or hunt for trojan planets. Or, broaden your search to include all of those, and things you know to be rare or uncommon.
  • Photography! Looking for screenshot-worthy scenes can be fun and rewarding.
And of course, that's only scratching the surface.

Also, if you haven't tried it in VR... well, there's something new that will open up a whole new level of experience. ;)
Thank you cmdr no am on ps4 ,unfortunately am very far away to do other things ,a break and your 3rd advice is what i will do.Fourth one is already the standard for me .._.

Well I was out for just over two months on my trip to Beagle Point. there were a few moments when I felt like junking it and flying into a star but I persevered and the Exploration XP gave me Elite status and I had over 500 million credits from selling the data. I would say just go and play something else if you get bored, but the problem is it kind of compels you to carry on. I was sat playing either Fallout 4 or one of the train sims for a bit but always with the nagging thought in my head, "This 40 mins I could have advanced another 2000 LY", or "If I delay too long someone else might get back before me and get first dibs on a star/system." So it does induce a bit of paranoia, if you do take a break!

On the contrary. I usually have problems stopping - just one more jump syndrome. Maybe it is a system with an ELW moon. Or a system with > 100 bodies. Or it has Noteable Stellar Phenomena.

I am feeling like I did with those bloody booster packs for card games 20 years ago!
Good point but i learned the random system naming system."'' facepalm''' so even without knowing the star type i may guess it,

Top Bottom