Ships Exploration Sidewinder.

There is a discussion on another thread where the suggestion was made that new players need to get lots of cash early on so they can get into the big ships which make lots of cool gameplay possible. To which the response was, no, you can do all the gameplay in any ship. Now I have heard of people doing PvP Piracy in a Sidewinder and soloing a Cyclops. I am guessing someone has taken a Sidewinder to Beagle Point to prove it can be done, but don’t know for sure. That set me thinking what would an exploration Sidewinder look like. So here is my attempt. Comments please.

I'd use a low emissions 2A powerplant, not a D rated one.
And I'd skip one heat sink launcher because you can resynth sinks and don't really need them that much with an A-rated pp.

No idea what to put in for that though. A scanner maybe?

You might take 2A enhanced thrusters to simply run away from every danger, and it's just more fun.

You will barely drop above 35 LY with these changes.

Looks great. Why not give it a whirl and see what you think.
(It's got more range as it is than when I went exploring in an iCutter.)
IMO exploration ships are a personal thing and opinions on what one should be vary a great deal.
What do you want from an explorer ship? Range? Toughness? Lots of utility slots? I could go on.

Oh and I would lose the FSD booster and get a 2A fuel Scoop. You ardley noticed the range difference and be able to scoop fuel a lot faster.

I'm all for doing things in small, cheap ships. I still prefer these years into the game, but it has to be a ship I like to begin with, which the Sidewinder really isn't. I could easily explore in an Eagle, since it has a wonderful view (especially in VR). But one of the best small explorers is the Dolphin, and it isn't that expensive. I will always, always pick a Dolphin over a Conda or even the Asp Explorer. The only other ships that compete for my love as explorers are the Orca and Type 7. Notice that none of these ships have "explorer" in the name, LOL.

Looks great. Why not give it a whirl and see what you think.
(It's got more range as it is than when I went exploring in an iCutter.)
IMO exploration ships are a personal thing and opinions on what one should be vary a great deal.
What do you want from an explorer ship? Range? Toughness? Lots of utility slots? I could go on.

Oh and I would lose the FSD booster and get a 2A fuel Scoop. You ardley noticed the range difference and be able to scoop fuel a lot faster.
The FSD booster gives an extra 6 Ly. That is quite a bit. Filling a 2t tank. Could do that with a 1A scoop while checking the system with the FSS.

I'd use a low emissions 2A powerplant, not a D rated one.
And I'd skip one heat sink launcher because you can resynth sinks and don't really need them that much with an A-rated pp.

No idea what to put in for that though. A scanner maybe?

You might take 2A enhanced thrusters to simply run away from every danger, and it's just more fun.

You will barely drop above 35 LY with these changes.
I do like having a lot of oomph in the thrusters. What scanner though? KWS and Manifest no good. Wake scanner? Xeno scanner?

The FSD booster gives an extra 6 Ly. That is quite a bit. Filling a 2t tank. Could do that with a 1A scoop while checking the system with the FSS.
Jeez, didn't realise it was 6 ly.

(Checks back at Coriolis)

Yeh, I suggest then to use a 1 FSD booster and a 2a Scoop. Losing only 2 ly. But if you can put up with the amount of time to use a 1a fuel scoop then my suggested changes are kind of mute. Like I said in my previous post, explorer ships are personal and dependent on what you want from them.

I'm all for doing things in small, cheap ships. I still prefer these years into the game, but it has to be a ship I like to begin with, which the Sidewinder really isn't. I could easily explore in an Eagle, since it has a wonderful view (especially in VR). But one of the best small explorers is the Dolphin, and it isn't that expensive. I will always, always pick a Dolphin over a Conda or even the Asp Explorer. The only other ships that compete for my love as explorers are the Orca and Type 7. Notice that none of these ships have "explorer" in the name, LOL.
Hmmm! Looks like both the Eagle and IEagle can get over 40 Ly jump range. Maybe I will try one of those.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
The Cmdr you're looking for is Cmdr Frawd Digger :D

Hmmm! Looks like both the Eagle and IEagle can get over 40 Ly jump range. Maybe I will try one of those.
The Eagle is a sweet explorer! Love that ship!

If you keep the Sidey i’d go for the 2A scoop! It’s a 20 second difference and that’s going to really add up if you’re going long distances.

Good point. That makes it feasible.

Better yet, put the SRV bay on a lower priority.
When you land thrusters get deactivated automatically, powering up the bay as it's next in line. And the other way around the moment you take off, you don't need to do anything.

The Cmdr you're looking for is Cmdr Frawd Digger :D
I knew there would be one. 21.5Ly range. My build is positively luxurious by comparison.

I do have an exploration-ready Eagle, though I think it's in the 30s for JR because I wanted the enhanced drives for crazy fast surface flight.

Top Bottom