Exploration subforum drinking game

Here's a drinking game for the exploration subforum. If you have any suggestions for new rules, by all means post them!

Drink a shot of your drink of choice (default: tea) every time when somebody says or asks:
  • what those strange lights in the distance are - usually they turn out to be NGC 7822
  • it turns out that the Codex is bugged
  • "Validating" is assumed to be a real CMDR
  • "How far do I have to fly to find an untagged system?"
  • somebody talks about "true / real / pure / proper" explorers - exception: don't drink if it was Felicity Farseer who said (wrote) this
  • another Commander tagged bodies in a system but didn't map any of them. Drink another shot if they also say that:
  • people who don't scan everything are lazy and/or not true explorers
  • people who do scan everything are greedy and/or not true explorers
  • a new update is coming and somebody complains that it has nothing for explorers
  • a new update is coming and somebody says an upcoming feature or change is going to make exploration too easy - Hard mode: drink an extra shot if it's related to fleet carriers
  • related to the above: "the galaxy is getting smaller" - Hard mode: drink an extra shot if it's because of fleet carriers
  • exploration was so much more actual exploration before X was changed, added or removed
  • exploration wasn't even actual exploration before X was changed, added or removed
  • exploration needs more love / content / work - Hard mode: drink an extra shot if it needs new ships specifically, and another if they should be better than the Anaconda.
  • black holes aren't dangerous enough (and should have accretion disks, by the way)
  • "I use economic mode for exploration and people miss out on systems because they jump too sparsely"
  • "Was the Stellar Forge drunk when it generated this planet?" Hard mode: drink an extra shot if it wasn't
  • "How can an icy body have a hot surface temperature?" or "How can a planet be hotter than a star?"
  • time to explain stuff about science!
  • "Has the route plotter been drinking?"
  • "What are these strange cubes / pyramids / lines of stars in the sky?"
  • "Is this weird wreckage I found far away from everything special?" (Sadly, it almost never is.)
  • "I found broken Thargoid probes down on this planet!"
  • "I heard weird sounds in this system, around this planet. Can others hear it, is this place special?"
  • "Is there anything more left to discover?" or "There is nothing left to discover."
  • which is the best explorer ship, and/or the best loadout
  • jump range: "is the most important thing for exploration" / "does not matter for exploration"
  • "you don't need a shield generator on your ship, I can land on a 45 g planet without a scratch"
  • "you know, I intend to circumnavigate the galaxy... someday"
  • "what's the minimum jump range to get to Beagle Point?", and one more drink if they ask for a route
  • "What do the blue colours on the DSS mean?"
  • "I've been flying for half an hour, how can I find those bacteria?"
Easy mode: Only drink when:
  • a Frontier Developments employee posts in the subforum

Hard mode: Extend the above to the other sections of this site, beyond the exploration subforum.

Please be mindful of your health, and drink responsibly!

Last edited:
Here's a drinking game for the exploration subforum. If you have any suggestions for new rules, by all means post them!

Drink a shot of your drink of choice (default: tea) every time when:
- a new explorer comes to the forum and says people who don't scan everything are lazy and/or not true explorers
- a new explorer comes to the forum and says people who do scan everything are greedy
- somebody says "pew pew crowd"
- somebody says "RNGineers"
- somebody posts the jump range of their Asp / Anaconda
- people talk about SEPP in the Dangerous Games
- Frawd is still travelling through the galaxy in his Sidewinder
- Jaques station needs stuff
- a new [Distant Worlds] thread pops up
- somebody finds canisters somewhere far away from the bubble
- somebody posts an Earth-like World

hard mode: Drink an extra shot:
- for every new Earth-like World that Chiggy Vonrictofen posts (WARNING: serious health hazard!)

easy mode: Drink a shot every time:
- a Frontier Developments employee posts in the subforum

Please be mindful of your health, and drink responsibly!

I reached Elite a while back and I can tell you, I don't miss that "pew pew crowd" one bit. What I'm finding doesn't help is this darned RNGineers thing, annoying, eh? Although I can now fly a nicely armed and shielded Anaconda and still have a 35LY jump range. That SEPP, woss that all about then? And what a hero CMDR Frawd is for not going insane in that sidewinder! I'll be setting off for Jaques quite soon as I heard he's needing supplies - hopefully I'll return before the next Distant Worlds expedition begins. Maybe I'll even find some interesting canisters on these jaunts. And some nice Earth-like worlds!

Liver? What's that?

I reached Elite a while back and I can tell you, I don't miss that "pew pew crowd" one bit. What I'm finding doesn't help is this darned RNGineers thing, annoying, eh? Although I can now fly a nicely armed and shielded Anaconda and still have a 35LY jump range. That SEPP, woss that all about then? And what a hero CMDR Frawd is for not going insane in that sidewinder! I'll be setting off for Jaques quite soon as I heard he's needing supplies - hopefully I'll return before the next Distant Worlds expedition begins. Maybe I'll even find some interesting canisters on these jaunts. And some nice Earth-like worlds!

Liver? What's that?
+1 vRep Cmdr ;)

Updated the first post a bit, by adding some new stuff (with some thanks to Valije!) and removing the bit about SEPP in the Dangerous Games, since that's over.
Does anyone else have ideas to add to this?

Last edited:

Drink a shot of your drink of choice (default: tea) every time when:
- somebody posts the jump range of their Asp / Anaconda

Five minutes later:
drunk.jpg

Updated the first post a bit, by adding some new stuff (with some thanks to Valije!) and removing the bit about SEPP in the Dangerous Games, since that's over.
Does anyone else have ideas to add to this?

i think, somebody saying that exploration was so much more exploration before intermediate scanner/jumponium/routeplotting/new routeplotting etc. was ingame ... could make a nice additional role.

i think, somebody saying that exploration was so much more exploration before intermediate scanner/jumponium/routeplotting/new routeplotting etc. was ingame ... could make a nice additional role.
Hehe, nice one! Added that and a similar common complaint - "[upcoming stuff] is going to make exploration too easy".

Last edited:

verminstar

Banned
I must be the only guy here who doesn't drink, so I'll pop a pill (a legal one sadly) and wash them down with a nice strong brew.

Then wake up at 5 in the morning with an imprint of the keyboard on my face ^^

How about Roleplay Mode?

Every time someone says something would destroy or impede immersion or is against something Wagar wrote in one of his novels, drink a shot and fire an emote :cool:

Don't forget someone questioning/complaining about the ED science e.g. How is this star older than the universe? How is this planet hotter than a star?

Additional points if Ziljan turns up and sciences them into next week because he is literally Michio Kaku in disguise

Last edited:
@ Andrew Gaspurr: Immersion? Hm, maybe it's just me, but I rarely see that complaint here, on this subforum. Elsewhere, it does pop up often of course.

@ thundernuns: You know, that's true. I recall stuff like "how can this hot planet be an icy body" popping up often. Thanks, added!

@ Andrew Gaspurr: Immersion? Hm, maybe it's just me, but I rarely see that complaint here, on this subforum. Elsewhere, it does pop up often of course.

@ thundernuns: You know, that's true. I recall stuff like "how can this hot planet be an icy body" popping up often. Thanks, added!

You know, sometimes a confused Dangerous Discussionist comes in here, finds this place far too peaceful and full of manners, posts some biowaste nonetheless and leaves. It happens... :D
And Ziljan? Yeah, where is Ziljan anyway? I always liked his scientific answers.

Top Bottom