Explorer gets name on all 45 non-landable bodies - Legend or Loon?

These days I scan everything (the FSS has turned me into a completionist) but map very little. "Mapping" is meaningless except to find POIs (which get boring after awhile) and putting our names on systems, which I care less about now than I used to. For all the work Frontier put into the probe shooting minigame, you'd think they'd put more thought into the actual rewards (and I'm not talking credits) we get from shooting those probes.

Still, I usually bring a DSS with me when exploring, just in case.

Deleted member 38366

D
How do you map with the FSS?

Well not at all, but the OP - from my understanding - merely talked about a fully tagged (not mapped) System out there in the woods.
Such Systems existed since many years.

Fully Mapped? Well, why not if someone is into that - or follows "Explorer OCD" ;)

(edit : just re-read and it's now got an edited mention of meaning entirely Mapped)

While we're on the subject, has mapping got a bit harder (as in, the area scanned by each probe shrunk) or have I just forgotten how to do it?

I've not been away from exploring that long, a couple of months perhaps, but I seem to be needing more probes for every body and am actually having to work for the efficiency bonus.

(Not that I'm exploring really at the moment, just travelling between Colonia and the bubble, but I refuse to stick to the established route.)

These days I scan everything (the FSS has turned me into a completionist) but map very little. "Mapping" is meaningless except to find POIs (which get boring after awhile) and putting our names on systems, which I care less about now than I used to. For all the work Frontier put into the probe shooting minigame, you'd think they'd put more thought into the actual rewards (and I'm not talking credits) we get from shooting those probes.

Still, I usually bring a DSS with me when exploring, just in case.
What other rewards could they give without adding in something daft like achievements? The rewards pre probe were credits and name.

While we're on the subject, has mapping got a bit harder (as in, the area scanned by each probe shrunk) or have I just forgotten how to do it?

I've not been away from exploring that long, a couple of months perhaps, but I seem to be needing more probes for every body and am actually having to work for the efficiency bonus.

(Not that I'm exploring really at the moment, just travelling between Colonia and the bubble, but I refuse to stick to the established route.)
I took a long break and just came back in June. Probing and getting the bonus was just as easy as it was before.

So what do you think generally when you jump into a system and see some commander has his name on all 40 odd non landable planets in the middle of nowhere. (ie First mapped)
Legend or loon, superstar or psychopath...
I find it irritating to stumble across someone else' path 5k+ out.
Worse is jumping out to a nearby system and seeing that mapped by the same damned commander.
STOP FOLLOWING ME BEFORE I GET THERE DAMNIT

What other rewards could they give without adding in something daft like achievements? The rewards pre probe were credits and name.
"Rewards" (in quotes on purpose) is the data one gets from scanning a planet, for those of us who care about such things. I'd argue that the FSS reveals too much, and some of that information should have been moved to the DSS. For example, the FSS could have revealed the most common material on a planet, but we would need to use a DSS to get a list of all the other materials. Whether or not a planet is terraformable could have been information only available via probes. Oh, and the number of POIs should definitely be moved to the DSS, because I'm sick and tired of waiting on geological POIs to resolve on the FSS.

Have you changed ship?
DSSs can be engineered to increase the probe area. If you've switched from a ship with an engineered DSS to one without, that'll explain the difference you're seeing.

Have you changed ship?
DSSs can be engineered to increase the probe area. If you've switched from a ship with an engineered DSS to one without, that'll explain the difference you're seeing.
Hmmm. Could be it.

And is. Just checked my Asp on Inara.

My memory's going in my old age, could've sworn I'd never done any such engineering in my life.

Thanks!

Last edited:
"Rewards" (in quotes on purpose) is the data one gets from scanning a planet, for those of us who care about such things. I'd argue that the FSS reveals too much, and some of that information should have been moved to the DSS. For example, the FSS could have revealed the most common material on a planet, but we would need to use a DSS to get a list of all the other materials. Whether or not a planet is terraformable could have been information only available via probes. Oh, and the number of POIs should definitely be moved to the DSS, because I'm sick and tired of waiting on geological POIs to resolve on the FSS.
I agree with the number of POIs, but not the rest. Not sure what is gained by obfuscating things like material and terraformable other than causing time to be wasted.

I've seen a few 80s.
I think the highest is 100+.

Dunno if it was just a coincidence but it seems like the Guardian reagion of the galaxy has some seriously populated systems.

Back when we were looking for the new Guardian sites, based on Ram Tah's message, I saw searching a sector of space that regularly had >120 bodies in the system and I think the most was around 170-odd.

I guess the stellar forge created those systems at random but I can't help wondering if FDev has access to data (or can manipulate the algorithms) which allowed them to deliberately place the Guardian stuff in a region of space that was massively populated.

+EDIT+

And, yes, there are systems out that way that've got my tag on all 170-odd planets. 😕

Last edited:
I think nothing of it.
My only thought is that I would like an option to turn off the visibility of this tagging game in my Elite game.
I would pay for such an option. They could sell it to me for 10 bucks in the Frontier store. I would pay without complaint.
I wouldn't pay. I would prefer not to inject Fdev with ideas like that.
(like: We have really annoying, loud music in our game that you can't turn off, but for $10 you can buy option to turn the volume down 10%)

But I too would really like not to see those tags.

Top Bottom