Explorers Anchorage should sell Tritium

Apparently, tritium will be available from Refinery economies. Explorers Anchorage has an Extraction economy. Please make an exception in this case (or change the economy to Refinery: it's supposed to be mostly a scientific research station anyhow, and with the arrival of Carriers, tritium refining will become its most important industry)

Might be worth checking the availability of Refinery economies in other remote stations too.

Apparently, tritium will be available from Refinery economies. Explorers Anchorage has an Extraction economy. Please make an exception in this case (or change the economy to Refinery: it's supposed to be mostly a scientific research station anyhow, and with the arrival of Carriers, tritium refining will become its most important industry)

Might be worth checking the availability of Refinery economies in other remote stations too.

Thankfully we can store Tritium in the cargo hold.That should give the carriers a potential range of 26,000LY without a refuel.

Thankfully we can store Tritium in the cargo hold.That should give the carriers a potential range of 26,000LY without a refuel.
Are you sure we'll be able to use that Tritium in the cargo hold for refuelling? We can't use Hydrogen to refuel our ships.

Edit: it would be pretty good if we could.

So, assuming about 20,000t of tritium onboard (you will lose some capacity by installing other stuff on the Carrier), you can either go 20,000ly from somewhere that sells tritium (and then mine for days), or go 10,000ly with enough fuel to get back.

Hence the importance of Explorers Anchorage, which is the nearest station for about half the galaxy.

Or add a couple of other inhabited systems with planetary ports in the vicinity to create a micro-bubble. A refinery system for Tritium-restocking and basic trading missions to and from Explorer's Anchorage, maybe an agriculture system, and a Tourism system for long range passenger missions and a semi-credible population for the other economies to be supplying out there.

Last edited:
Explorer's Anchorage is 25,899.71 LY from Sol. Assuming that some of your 25,000 units are used for something other than cargo storage - well, at any rate, it'll be a very barebones Carrier that makes it to Explorer's Anchorage without refueling.

Be interesting to see if a Carrier can make it to Colonia with a full load of fuel and any useful level of equipment.

I've jut done some checking on EDDB. There are currently no Refinery economies anywhere between the Bubble and Colonia.

Rimward, there doesn't seem to be anything beyond Witch Head.

I agree with you (y)

So, assuming about 20,000t of tritium onboard (you will lose some capacity by installing other stuff on the Carrier), you can either go 20,000ly from somewhere that sells tritium (and then mine for days), or go 10,000ly with enough fuel to get back.

Hence the importance of Explorers Anchorage, which is the nearest station for about half the galaxy.

No, 777Driver's numbers include the return trip, so with 20k tons of Tritium you can go roughly 20k ly (actually a little more I think) and still get back.

A full cargo load of 24/25k tons of Tritium gives you roughly 52k ly range, meaning you can travel just with purchased fuel anywhere in the galaxy in a radius of 26k ly from either colonia or the bubble (and everything in between). That is a quite large part of the galaxy. Anywhere beyond that range, you'll either have to mine to proceed with the carrier, or park the carrier at the rim of it's return range, and launch an autonomous exploration vessel to proceed further outbound. Seems reasonable IMO.

You can use this tool to estimate your fuel needs: https://www.spansh.co.uk/fleet-carrier

Last edited:
Yeah, old thread. Fuel efficiency is better now.

Still a good case for tritium at Explorers Anchorage though. Especially as it seems to have dried up at Colonia...

Yeah, old thread. Fuel efficiency is better now.

Still a good case for tritium at Explorers Anchorage though. Especially as it seems to have dried up at Colonia...

Indeed I completely missed the date of your post, got fooled by the thread necromancy :)

I've had an idea:

A Galnet article featuring a mad-scientist type who claims to have invented a "gravitonic hydrogen fusor" that can somehow mass-produce tritium using the intense gravitational field near Sag A*

A community goal to build one at Explorers Anchorage.

Followed by an infinitely-regenerating source of cheap tritium at Explorers Anchorage.

Explorers Anchorage has an Extraction economy. Please make an exception in this case (or change the economy to Refinery: it's supposed to be mostly a scientific research station anyhow, and with the arrival of Carriers, tritium refining will become its most important industry)

Or dare I even say it, hold a CG to build a refinery nearby. And maybe one or two other economies. Like a tourist economy at the Great Annihilator (where there's already a tourist installation, but no landable port as of yet).

This would have the added benefit of allowing Commanders who've made the trip an opportunity to undertake a variety of missions between systems, for a bit of variety after a long time in the black.

Or dare I even say it, hold a CG to build a refinery nearby. And maybe one or two other economies. Like a tourist economy at the Great Annihilator (where there's already a tourist installation, but no landable port as of yet).

Yes, a separate refinery nearby but a good distance away from EA.

Just took a look at Inara's snapshot of Colonia with it's 100+ stranded FCs then imagined the same scene at EA - and shuddered.

Yes, a separate refinery nearby but a good distance away from EA.

Just took a look at Inara's snapshot of Colonia with it's 100+ stranded FCs then imagined the same scene at EA - and shuddered.

I'm just leaving the EA area in my carrier as we speak. Hand-to-mouth refuelling was always the plan though. Got 1000 tons in the tank and another thousand in the hold. Should give me a jump-start towards the bubble, exploring in my Phantom between the carrier jumps to keep the coffers filled, then I'll start mining again when I run out of Trit.

Tritium in rings is a lot less abundant than it was, but I've found it still manageable to fill my Anaconda (380-odd tons) at an icy ring in just over an hour. Not ideal but hey ho. Hopefully things will be better from the next update (or I just jinxed it).

Would have been nice to at least supplement my mining with Tritium from Explorer's Anchorage though. Or somewhere in that vicinity.

Top Bottom