Exploring deep space Tritium distributions

What has started as a test of self-sufficient deep space exploring with autarkic Tritium mining, seems to turn into a semi-scientific project to examine the differences in Tritium distributions. This is done best in uncharted space, where no human influence can distort the results. The project also tries to find any possible patterns that could explain the different distributions of Tritium in hot spots. This ring is significantly poorer than my last Tritium source in Colonia. So there definitely are differences, not every hotspot is same. Remains the question whether there actually is a pattern or all just based on pure random.

Here's a short impression of coming back from a short test run in my Cobra Mk4 and the relaxing atmosphere of deep space mining, that I very much enjoy! I feel like I could do that all night long...
Finding this ring wasn't as easy as expected, but already covered half of the weekly upkeep for my carrier from selling the data to my UC service:

Source: https://youtu.be/OqegJI2TXkU

UPDATE:

The expunged lines had to be relativised, as latest experiences suggest a random distribution. This only goes for Tritium SSDs, can't say much about classic laser mining (which I still believe isn't worth it for Tritium, maybe unless you got a triple hotspot).

Last edited:
This short test run has meanwhile changed in to an extended test to move to the bubble. My latest progress was very promising and if you are curious what I was doing over the last week, check this thread (maybe start from my second last post and go backwards from there):

this is a duplicate from this last post:

2 x gas giants with ammonia based lifeforms, each with an ice ring and a Tritium hotspot. The first one is very small, the second one not only much bigger but the only hotspot in this ring at all! Now I'm very curious if other minerals will appear as well here.

Both are 170Ls from the main star, but who cares if you can park your carrier right next to a ring.

hand of RNG.jpg

Meanwhile I completely skip laser mining of Tritium, it's simply not worth it and what I see makes absolutely no sense. I just tried a 24% low that gave me 4 tons, then a 29+% medium that only gave me 3 tons. Unless I'm overlooking something this seems pretty much broken to me.

Last edited:
Life is great as a wandering space miner or however you want to call it (mining explorer? exploring miner?)! I'm now about half the way from Colonia to the bubble, fuelled by Tritium all mined in space. Once I arrive I will spend some time there, but then I fill up my cargo hold with Tritium and do the long run. At this time I will be confident that and how I'll find my way back, without decommissioning. If I ever will come back at all...

This last test has already proven to be a complete success. However, I will never win a space race, that's for sure!
I think I'll make this my new logo: 🐢 🚀 😁

Last edited:
I just re-read my OP again. Think I have to made a little correction: Hotspots are hotspots, basically - at least with Tritium. All variety seems in between the usual borders of random generation. On the positive side, whenever I scout a system with a Tritium hotspot I immediately order my carrier, as these hotspots are all very reliable fuel sources.

Meanwhile I completely skip laser mining of Tritium, it's simply not worth it and what I see makes absolutely no sense. I just tried a 24% low that gave me 4 tons, then a 29+% medium that only gave me 3 tons. Unless I'm overlooking something this seems pretty much broken to me.
Well, there's also an overall material quantity. While it just shows low/medium/high, I suspect there's a multiplier hidden in there. It also matters how much of a partial ton you might have already had in the refinery.

Well, there's also an overall material quantity. While it just shows low/medium/high, I suspect there's a multiplier hidden in there. It also matters how much of a partial ton you might have already had in the refinery.

You mean, something like an artificial cap?
I hope it has nothing to do with my low level mining lasers, prospector or small refinery (A2). That would be super artificial (not to say downright daft).
But then I got both results with the same equipment...

Last edited:
What has started as a test of self-sufficient deep space exploring with autarkic Tritium mining, seems to turn into a semi-scientific project to examine the differences in Tritium distributions. This is done best in uncharted space, where no human influence can distort the results. The project also tries to find any possible patterns that could explain the different distributions of Tritium in hot spots. This ring is significantly poorer than my last Tritium source in Colonia. So there definitely are differences, not every hotspot is same. Remains the question whether there actually is a pattern or all just based on pure random.

Here's a short impression of coming back from a short test run in my Cobra Mk4 and the relaxing atmosphere of deep space mining, that I very much enjoy! I feel like I could do that all night long...
Finding this ring wasn't as easy as expected, but already covered half of the weekly upkeep for my carrier from selling the data to my UC service:

Source: https://youtu.be/OqegJI2TXkU
Very helpful! Thanks for analysing

Could you make an overview of your findings and/or make a short guide? That would be great.
I guess not. Meanwhile it's more about the process of slow and independently (from external Tritium fuelling) moving forward and to optimise my personal approaches. The initial idea to find out differences in the Tritium distributions seems pretty moot to me now: Wherever I find a Tritium hotspot I have no issues to find enough SSD sources. More or less everything that glows yellowish works for me. Whether an asteroid has something between 1 and 4 sources seems completely randomized.

You may like it or not, but on the positive side it makes a tutorial redundant. What I just said pretty much is already that guide. 🥴

More important is the technique to find these systems (with a classic explorer ship of your choice, max jump range not required. I'm using a Cobra Mk3, but a mining Python would do as well, in which case you already can start to mine in the 15 minutes your carrier is on the way). In theory you could search in a certain radius. But chances are, you also want to combine your searchings with moving into a certain direction. I started very cautious with economic routing and plotted a route in the direction I want to move to a system that lies on the border of my current FC range which most of the times (but not necessarily) is 500Ly. This way my longest search were just 14 jumps but I also had two extremely lucky carrier jumps directly into a system with one or more Tritium hotspots.

This made me confident to do the same with fast routing, that gives me something about 18 hops until I reach my carrier's limit (with an engineered Cobra Mk3). But this method is still too new to say something definitely, other than I'm again extremely lucky and never had to jump further than 3 systems so far. But even if I would reach the limit, nothing could stop me from searching a little side steps in economical routing - as long as I don't exceed my carriers current jump limit.

You see, it's all pretty much straight forward and leaves still enough room for personal preferences.

Just keep in mind: This method is the polar opposite of racing and can't compete with any classic exploration methods when we talk distance per hour. This is only for those who appreciate the journey over the arrival. This last one is the only really important advice I can give to anyone who wants to travel this way. Ignoring this is a direct highway to frustration and insanity. Don't say you have not been warned!

Last edited:
Sorry, I must have. Life of my crew and myself will soon depend on successful tritium mining in deep space. I am keen to see all shared experiences

Nothing to worry then, just read my latest post.

In case you missed it in one of my former posts, I'm going light weight. As solo player I don't need a shipyard service for instance and I go without any safety fuel in my carriers cargo hold. Meanwhile I don't even maximise my fuel tank and go with just enough for 2 full jumps. Currently a hyper jump cost me 143t, so as soon as I filled my tank to 286t I'm ready to go for the next jump.

🐢 🚀 😁

Last edited:
Nothing to worry then, just read my latest post.

In case you missed it in one of my former posts, I'm going light weight. As solo player I don't need a shipyard service for instance and I go without any safety fuel in my carriers cargo hold. Meanwhile I don't even maximise my fuel tank and go with just enough for 2 full jumps. Currently a hyper jump cost me 143t, so as soon as I filled my tank to 286t I'm ready to go for the next jump.

🐢 🚀 😁
Interesting results... I just brought my Zodiac to Colonia last week. I filled her up in The Bubble with ~20k tones of tritium as for this leg of the journey I did not want to bother myself or the crew mining. I was trying to max out every jump 480-500Ly, but we observed ~260t/jump consumption. I, however, have bit more modules, e.g. Shipyard as I have 4-5 Commanders with their fleet on board. Wondering if it has influence

Interesting results... I just brought my Zodiac to Colonia last week. I filled her up in The Bubble with ~20k tones of tritium as for this leg of the journey I did not want to bother myself or the crew mining. I was trying to max out every jump 480-500Ly, but we observed ~260t/jump consumption. I, however, have bit more modules, e.g. Shipyard as I have 4-5 Commanders with their fleet on board. Wondering if it has influence

Yes, I figured that the shipyard is a very expensive service, but I guess it makes a lot of sense for a team (because only the carrier owner can store his ships at the standard built-in shipyard for instance). But then your team mates can help with the mining and this alone should more than compensate for the higher fuel consumption. Other than that, in the long run I also have something like that in mind, but alone. I don't know if you followed my journey, I'm currently going into the opposite direction -> from Colonia to the bubble.

It's a multi purpose journey, not only meant as a cheap transfer of the Colonia part of my fleet to the bubble, were I'm going to join and unify the rest of my fleet and modules, but mainly to get a feel for a relative long distance with this very slow method of moving a carrier. The last thing I want to face is to 'speed-jump' into the void with 20k tons of Tritium, only to realize that I don't like the return. Whenever I'll start this great adventure, I know what awaits me and that I can stand the long journey back home without decommissioning the carrier. To the old school gamer in me that's an absolute no go (but I don't care if others do that, no worries whoever is reading here).

The last thing I want to face is to 'speed-jump' into the void with 20k tons of Tritium, only to realize that I don't like the return. Whenever I'll start this great adventure, I know what awaits me and that I can stand the long journey back home without decommissioning the carrier.
Too late for me ;)
My crew and I are already on the way...

Too late for me ;)
My crew and I are already on the way...

... and nobody warned you :p

I just found out that a combination of 'slightly drunken' + 'deadly tired' + 'FA Off' don't compute into an otherwise impressive huge cargo hold (for a Cobra Mk4) of 82t (hopper included) full of Tritium. After falling 3 times asleep, meagre 23t of Tritium and a hull about the same percentage, I gave up and docked. If good for anything, then it's a reliable method to avoid the black Adder bug from donating. 😁

From what I've seen, it's the double- and triple-hot spots that make laser mining Tritium worthwhile. The singles would be disappointing.

Top Bottom