Exploring deep space Tritium distributions

This is all good information, as I've been holding out on stopping for refueling until I find a x2 or x3, but now I know that SSD is good in singles then doing a couple of hundred tons every time I stumble upon Tritium Hotspots seems to be the way to go.
btw I have been doing spot mining in an Asp Scout - 48t and an AspX with 92t.

This is all good information, as I've been holding out on stopping for refueling until I find a x2 or x3, but now I know that SSD is good in singles then doing a couple of hundred tons every time I stumble upon Tritium Hotspots seems to be the way to go.
btw I have been doing spot mining in an Asp Scout - 48t and an AspX with 92t.

Small ships with their small cargo hold for core, SSD and SD mining are perfect for this job if your carrier is parked in the ring nearby. I'm not a rich commander when it comes to credits, but I also have a Conda and Python on my Carrier. There's a reason why I prefer the Cobra Mk4 for fuelling my carrier... I can pimp the CMk4 up to 82t (no shields, full hopper included). This is massive for such a small ship! But not advised if tired or drunken 🥴 and also not really necessary. There is no ship in the game that seems so perfectly designed for exactly this one role and this is not just because of the potentially big cargo hold. If I wouldn't have access to the CMk4, I would probably take a Viper Mk4, which also works surprisingly well as a small miner.

Small ships with their small cargo hold for core, SSD and SD mining are perfect for this job if your carrier is parked in the ring nearby. I'm not a rich commander when it comes to credits, but I also have a Conda and Python on my Carrier. There's a reason why I prefer the Cobra Mk4 for fuelling my carrier... I can pimp the CMk4 up to 82t (no shields, full hopper included). This is massive for such a small ship! But not advised if tired or drunken 🥴 and also not really necessary. There is no ship in the game that seems so perfectly designed for exactly this one role and this is not just because of the potentially big cargo hold. If I wouldn't have access to the CMk4, I would probably take a Viper Mk4, which also works surprisingly well as a small miner.
Agreed and also I was looking at turning my Viper Mk4 into a scratch miner now that I don't need the weapons on it.

So you are only core- and SSD mining now?

Currently, yes. But never say 'only'. Just now I came along 2 asteroids with 30% Tritium, one even was high. But my last attempts with laser mining Tritium suggested there's currently something very odd with laser mining. With my 2 small mining lasers it takes ages to deplete and then I only get 4 tons, even when at or close to 30%. Then I had a 29% something medium from that I only got 3 tons. Doesn't look right and until that's been fixed I just pass. The one I skipped right now even was a 30% high. I get the same even from surface mining in half the time, let alone SSDs which are currently without any alternative. I'm just not sure how long it takes until FDev makes some adjustments again...

My last carrier jump took me into 'homeland', the inner orion spur. Since all works out so well, I'll pull my last ace to speed things up a little bit: taking my 60Ly DBX for scouting the next tritium system in fast routing. This leaves me with only 10 jumps to find a tritium system until I hit the 500Ly border at which I would have to do some side steps. Or will I be (un)lucky again and find a Tritium source already in one of the next 3 systems? Ideally, it would be the last system on the 500Ly border.

Perhaps I'm the slowest explorer in the galaxy, but I don't know why I keep thinking "time is on my side"... 😁

Last edited:

Hehe, yeah that's the one. :cool:

Small update. My second jump led me (no, not into a Tritium system) into the first 'tagged' system again. Not sure whether I like that... need to get used to it again. Maybe I'll move up or down a few hundred light years on next occasion to avoid that. Still about 10KLy away from civilised space and already human traces. Depressing, for the hermit that I am...

Last edited:
After 4 jumps I got a non-tagged system. Nice, no panic then. :)
With a TWW and a terraformable. Even nicer. No gas giant - 'promising' 😁
But what's that?

what's that.jpg

An ice world with an ice ring. I have a suspicion...

no gas giant.jpg

Could it really be, so soon again?

I have a suspicion.jpg

I can't believe it, you can't believe it, we can't believe it! 🤣

can't believe it.jpg

🐢🚀😁

I too have found icy rings around far off planets that don't look like they're worth investigating - and end up containing Hotspots. I always check them out if they're ringed. They're fun to jump to with the carrier (if they're worth mining) - a lot quicker than flying in from the sun.
Like OP I am travelling solo, but with a slightly different MO - I jump the FC for 500ly in the direction I want to go, get into my AspX and fly out in a random direction (of my choice) for about 60ly (using economical routing) and mapping everything I find - with special attention paid to HS's as well as mapping HMC planets. When I'm bored or find something exciting/worth mining (I do LTDs and VOs too). I can jump back to the carrier any time (68ly range in the AspX) or just return via a roundabout route. When I get back to my carrier, I sell my data (got UC) whcih pretty much covers overheads (and more if I've done a lot of mapping) and then I usually jump the FC to the best mining spot I've found (often just a single Tritium) and mine at least as much as I've just used to get here (and the other stuff as well).
I use a mining python generally with all the tools (I'm not above slowly stripping a Tritium roid) and it's nippy for all the SSD/Core stuff too. I've got a Corvette strip-miner for any double-HS's ... not used it yet, but I will!
My FC jumps using about 150, and I might make a couple of small jumps, so the mining isn't a grind as it doesn't take long to get 200+, and I can stop after that if I want.
It's certainly a sustainable lifestyle - and it's one I will be playing for a while.
Enjoy your travels
o7

I too have found icy rings around far off planets that don't look like they're worth investigating - and end up containing Hotspots. I always check them out if they're ringed. They're fun to jump to with the carrier (if they're worth mining) - a lot quicker than flying in from the sun.
Like OP I am travelling solo, but with a slightly different MO - I jump the FC for 500ly in the direction I want to go, get into my AspX and fly out in a random direction (of my choice) for about 60ly (using economical routing) and mapping everything I find - with special attention paid to HS's as well as mapping HMC planets. When I'm bored or find something exciting/worth mining (I do LTDs and VOs too). I can jump back to the carrier any time (68ly range in the AspX) or just return via a roundabout route. When I get back to my carrier, I sell my data (got UC) whcih pretty much covers overheads (and more if I've done a lot of mapping) and then I usually jump the FC to the best mining spot I've found (often just a single Tritium) and mine at least as much as I've just used to get here (and the other stuff as well).
I use a mining python generally with all the tools (I'm not above slowly stripping a Tritium roid) and it's nippy for all the SSD/Core stuff too. I've got a Corvette strip-miner for any double-HS's ... not used it yet, but I will!
My FC jumps using about 150, and I might make a couple of small jumps, so the mining isn't a grind as it doesn't take long to get 200+, and I can stop after that if I want.
It's certainly a sustainable lifestyle - and it's one I will be playing for a while.
Enjoy your travels
o7

This only proves that with a slightly different goal this method leads into all kind of creative solutions - and it seems a very valid way to move our carriers. Just very slow compared to conventional travelling. Nothing is for free, but I'm more than willing to pay for this extra luxury. :D
I'm only sorry to see all my fellow explorers suffering under their own dogmas.

Last edited:
I'm frequently trying to disprove myself (helps against habitual preconceptions), so I grabbed my Python that has a bit more mining laser muscles. I mainly still had SSDs in mind in the first place, after I realised I had forgotten to re-load this Python. Bummer. So I just gave it go, assuming that simple laser mining in a tritium hotspot only requires a little luck and preferably a slow rotating asteroid. My 3. or 4. Prospector revealed this one:

33.68 lo.jpg

It took unusually long to empty this rock (as if someone of the devs is constantly fiddling with some server parameters) but then, to my surprise, I got this result:

10t.jpg

By far my best result in laser mining of tritium in the last days. Can anyone confirm this - or was it just a strange coincidence?

That's pretty regular in single Tritium HS's. Many (non-glow) asteroids have good yields too (33% is very good imo, low 20s is good and teens is average :). I use my Python for those - there are usually some SSDs/Cores about too. In a double Tritium almost every roid has 20+%, and higher overall distribution.
My goal is a Tritium/LTD overlap ... the Tritium buff + the LTD should result in some interesting yields.
o7

That's pretty regular in single Tritium HS's. Many (non-glow) asteroids have good yields too (33% is very good imo, low 20s is good and teens is average :). I use my Python for those - there are usually some SSDs/Cores about too. In a double Tritium almost every roid has 20+%, and higher overall distribution.
My goal is a Tritium/LTD overlap ... the Tritium buff + the LTD should result in some interesting yields.
o7

Yeah, some interesting points there.
But now I'm totally split (has nothing to do with your post, I just entered this thread again): I suddenly felt in love with the Python again! What now? is this the end of my affair with my good old Cobra Mk4? And then this place! This last Python session was so successful, that at this point I usually would move on. But the beauty of this place let me want to drop my standards and doing yet another mining session. This time with re-loaded SSD- Missiles (I had to use up two synthesis).

My Pythons maxxed on power, thrusters, shields and distrib - no need to hold back with short-range stuff. It handles well and, with 2 lasers and each of the rest (mining) I can take any targets of opportunity! I carry big shields, and don't try to optimise intake ... and I'm planning on practicing FA-off in the next double HS I find.
It's a whole new ... world?
o7

My Pythons maxxed on power, thrusters, shields and distrib - no need to hold back with short-range stuff. It handles well and, with 2 lasers and each of the rest (mining) I can take any targets of opportunity! I carry big shields, and don't try to optimise intake ... and I'm planning on practicing FA-off in the next double HS I find.
It's a whole new ... world?
o7

It is.
And here is a world that I can hardly leave...

Source: https://youtu.be/aFjTERaAYUQ

and good bye 👋 😢

Source: https://youtu.be/3-9cL0Kt3Lk

Last edited:
Top Bottom