Exploring deep space Tritium distributions

You mean, something like an artificial cap?
I hope it has nothing to do with my low level mining lasers, prospector or small refinery (A2). That would be super artificial (not to say downright daft).
But then I got both results with the same equipment...
There are a bunch of factors that go into mining yields, but fortunately the various mining groups have mostly worked it out long since (example source). But the numbers you've quoted in this thread - getting between 3 and 10 tons from lasering an asteroid - sound like they are within the plausible range you should be seeing. The values are randomized within certain ranges.

For laser mining, both being in a pristine ring and being in a hotspot increase both the percentage and chance of finding valuable minerals in asteroids (hotspots specifically boost the listed mineral, of course). There may be other "astrophysical" factors that affect the base abundance from system to system too, because not every pristine ring is created equal by far. Then the amount of mineral per fragment is a random multiplier of that: in deep space where there are no REZ sites, you get between 50-100% of the amount listed in the asteroid scan. The number of fragments you will get is also randomized: with no REZ site and an A-rated prospector you will get between 28-42 fragments, with lesser quality prospectors giving fewer. Multiply all that together and a 30% Tritium asteroid can give you anywhere from 4 to 13 tons of refined product, but should generally average out around 7-9.

With the advent of new-style SSD mining, you can get much much more than this from a single asteroid. But asteroids with those deposits are much rarer than surface-minable ones. There's ongoing debate about whether doing one or the other or both is ultimately faster, so YMMV.

There are a bunch of factors that go into mining yields, but fortunately the various mining groups have mostly worked it out long since (example source). But the numbers you've quoted in this thread - getting between 3 and 10 tons from lasering an asteroid - sound like they are within the plausible range you should be seeing. The values are randomized within certain ranges.

For laser mining, both being in a pristine ring and being in a hotspot increase both the percentage and chance of finding valuable minerals in asteroids (hotspots specifically boost the listed mineral, of course). There may be other "astrophysical" factors that affect the base abundance from system to system too, because not every pristine ring is created equal by far. Then the amount of mineral per fragment is a random multiplier of that: in deep space where there are no REZ sites, you get between 50-100% of the amount listed in the asteroid scan. The number of fragments you will get is also randomized: with no REZ site and an A-rated prospector you will get between 28-42 fragments, with lesser quality prospectors giving fewer. Multiply all that together and a 30% Tritium asteroid can give you anywhere from 4 to 13 tons of refined product, but should generally average out around 7-9.

With the advent of new-style SSD mining, you can get much much more than this from a single asteroid. But asteroids with those deposits are much rarer than surface-minable ones. There's ongoing debate about whether doing one or the other or both is ultimately faster, so YMMV.

Thanks. Very valuable information.

I could barely let lose form the last system and plotted a route 100Ly above the galactic plane. This should do for now to avoid tagged systems. This last carrier jump dropped me in a 54-body system with only one gas giant that has a ring (there is also an ice world with a ring and 3 or 4 hotspots, but I'm here for the Tritium in the first place. All untagged. A bit far out, but what I got is amazing! A ring with 24(!) hotspots, aaaaand - of course - two Tritium hotspots! 😁

54 systems.jpg

Main star is a class M, which I have recently filtered out. I suppose that was a broad hint and I'd better not do that.

24 hotspots.jpg

2 x Tritium.jpg

Last edited:
These short cycles between exploring and mining create an interesting side-effect: a strong encouragement to go long routes in SC - if looking for a Tritium source which is more often than not a few 100k out.

It always feels a bit like a gamble to me, but most of the times I win. 😁

the gamble.jpg

What might that be?

what might that be.jpg

Bingo!

Bingo.jpg

Last edited:
With my mining anaconda I get anything I find: I have three lasers for surface mining, one abrasion blaster, three subsurface missiles and one seismic charge. Lately I'm prospecting mostly glowing asteroids, because the the new SSD gives a huge amount of minerals. Yesterday I found a non-spinning asteroid with 4 tritium SSD, I think I got 50t out of it. But I did find also a couple 31% tritium asteroids. Normally if they are on my route I stop mining up to 10%, I know it's not much, but I'm not using any ammo for those, so...
I measure my mining efficiency in terms of how many limpets I have to dump: if I never hear the "cargo hold at full capacity" then I'm doing bad, that means I'm using limpets more quickly than I get minerals; if I have to dump limpets, then I'm doing good. Well, yesterday I couldn't dump limpets quickly enough, I filled up my 266t of space so quickly that I even went for an exploration afterwards.
The location where I am now is oddly scarce of icy rings, I have only rocky or metallic rings. Yesterday night the last system I visited had only one LTD hotspot, I might jump the FC there as normally LTD hotspots have also good tritium amount.

About SSD, have you noticed if there is a relationship between the "width" of the deposit (the blue bars when you launch the missile) and the number of chunks you get? I think the smaller the deposit, the more you get. But on tritium SSD I never got more than 3 chunks, while on LTD I got up to 6.

I guess you are using the VR from the video. What program did you use to take them?

With my mining anaconda I get anything I find: I have three lasers for surface mining, one abrasion blaster, three subsurface missiles and one seismic charge. Lately I'm prospecting mostly glowing asteroids, because the the new SSD gives a huge amount of minerals. Yesterday I found a non-spinning asteroid with 4 tritium SSD, I think I got 50t out of it. But I did find also a couple 31% tritium asteroids. Normally if they are on my route I stop mining up to 10%, I know it's not much, but I'm not using any ammo for those, so...
I measure my mining efficiency in terms of how many limpets I have to dump: if I never hear the "cargo hold at full capacity" then I'm doing bad, that means I'm using limpets more quickly than I get minerals; if I have to dump limpets, then I'm doing good. Well, yesterday I couldn't dump limpets quickly enough, I filled up my 266t of space so quickly that I even went for an exploration afterwards.
The location where I am now is oddly scarce of icy rings, I have only rocky or metallic rings. Yesterday night the last system I visited had only one LTD hotspot, I might jump the FC there as normally LTD hotspots have also good tritium amount.

About SSD, have you noticed if there is a relationship between the "width" of the deposit (the blue bars when you launch the missile) and the number of chunks you get? I think the smaller the deposit, the more you get. But on tritium SSD I never got more than 3 chunks, while on LTD I got up to 6.

I guess you are using the VR from the video. What program did you use to take them?

No, I'm not using VR. These are simple, uncut nvidia videos.

Thank you for posting your findings. I am not familiar with mining and have adopted a different approach. I pootle about (exploring) in the general direction of the Gallipolis (where I intend to explore more intensively) until I am 400ly away from the carrier. Then I start hunting for icy rings. When I find a Tritium hotspot I summon the carrier to an adjacent system. I found that when I parked next to the hotspot pirates spawned and jumped me in SC back to the carrier (even when it was 0.2 ls).

The jump usually uses 180ish T of Tritium - which takes me 2-3 hours of laser mining to gather (using an Anaconda with 4 lasers). Thanks to the comments above I'll give the core mining a go next time. At my tortoise-like rate of progress I reckon it'll take 10 weeks to get to the Gallipolis. Though I have 17T of Tritium in store and might run this down when I am more confident of being able to mine enough to be self-sufficient (which will speed me along).

Incidentally, as I mine the Tritium I have come across some LTDs - not much (12T so far). Currently, I think I'll just accumulate them then try to sell them around Colonia in the distant future - I can't think what else to do with them.

Thanks again for your ideas.

Thank you for posting your findings. I am not familiar with mining and have adopted a different approach. I pootle about (exploring) in the general direction of the Gallipolis (where I intend to explore more intensively) until I am 400ly away from the carrier. Then I start hunting for icy rings. When I find a Tritium hotspot I summon the carrier to an adjacent system. I found that when I parked next to the hotspot pirates spawned and jumped me in SC back to the carrier (even when it was 0.2 ls).

The jump usually uses 180ish T of Tritium - which takes me 2-3 hours of laser mining to gather (using an Anaconda with 4 lasers). Thanks to the comments above I'll give the core mining a go next time. At my tortoise-like rate of progress I reckon it'll take 10 weeks to get to the Gallipolis. Though I have 17T of Tritium in store and might run this down when I am more confident of being able to mine enough to be self-sufficient (which will speed me along).

Incidentally, as I mine the Tritium I have come across some LTDs - not much (12T so far). Currently, I think I'll just accumulate them then try to sell them around Colonia in the distant future - I can't think what else to do with them.

Thanks again for your ideas.

Cool avatar you got there :D
Note that core mining isn't the same as SSD mining. Tritium cores don't exist. Also, your relative high fuel consumption suggest that you have one or two services installed that you might not need/want. Of course I can't know what you are doing with your carrier. A shipyard for instance is pretty expensive in regards to fuel consumption and not needed if all you want is to carry your own fleet. My current per jump consumption is 143t. I try to never have more than 300t in my carrier tank (it's also increasing fuel consumption, also no Tritium in cargo). Otherwise here is the simple formula after which I decide if I jump or explore:

If after a jump there still would be Tritium left for a full jump (500Ly), then I jump blind. Otherwise I scout in the direction I want to move (currently I have a direction, in the future this might change) and plot a route to the border of a 500Ly range. Up to now I never failed to find a system with a Tritium spot on these scout missions from which I remotely order the carrier directly into the Tritium source. I'm still in deep space (on the way from Colonia to the bubble) where there are no NPCs. But soon I will face the same situation and possibly will have to adapt.

Things are getting interesting. My last scout trip with my 60Ly DBX was too optimistic. I reached the 500Ly limit and had to crawl back more than 100Ly in economic routing. The last 1000 Ly feel like a tritium desert. It is much harder to find, but when I find one, it is breathtaking. A rose in the desert:

rose in the desert.jpg

Note the gas giant. Has an ice ring but no Tritium. It's the icy body on the outer right side. 24 hotspots under which are 3 Tritium:

24 hotspots 3 tritium.jpg

Last edited:
The last 1000 Ly feel like a tritium desert. It is much harder to find
The area where I am now is completely empty of ice rings. I have explored about 800LY, almost every star on my route, and found probably three ice rings and only one with one tritium hotspot. Luckily I have full deposit and some reserve, so not a problem. Now I'm parked there for a couple of refueling session and then ready to go again. But indeed there are sectors where it's more difficult to find.

The area where I am now is completely empty of ice rings. I have explored about 800LY, almost every star on my route, and found probably three ice rings and only one with one tritium hotspot. Luckily I have full deposit and some reserve, so not a problem. Now I'm parked there for a couple of refueling session and then ready to go again. But indeed there are sectors where it's more difficult to find.

I am curious to see how long I can maintain my policy of low fuel consumption. Might get interesting sometime... but also creates this certain sense of a tritium hunter who desperately needs this stuff to get by. A wonderful challenge! I foresee a golden future for the fuel rats... ;)

These 'scout-schlepp' jobs can be well paid sometimes...
I definitely make some coin on my slow cruising self-sufficient experiment! (about 100m so far, + about 400t high value minerals as 'bycatch' from Tritium mining). Isn't this the very definition of a dream job: Makes fun and pays well! 🤑 😁 :cool:

scout job.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that's a lot for so few systems. I did find some good one, there was a system with three water planets and one terraformable that got me some credits, but in the zone where I am not it's almost all already explored. I have reached the asteroid station in the Thor's helmet nebula and from there I'm planning to cross a rather unexplored area towards the Eta Carina nebula where I see that I have some mining friends parked with their FC.
It's rather odd to see other ships around, I feel really uncomfortable now seeing contacts :LOL:

For laser mining, both being in a pristine ring and being in a hotspot increase both the percentage and chance of finding valuable minerals in asteroids (hotspots specifically boost the listed mineral, of course).

Meanwhile I'm confident to say, that related to Tritium, this can't be true. At least if meant as 'in general'. My last Tritium mining grounds were all pristine hotspots and far over 90% of non-glowing asteroids were worthless or yielded some Tritium in the lower one digit percentages.
And the glowing ones aren't usually good for tritium laser-mining anyway. The overall Tritium distribution is way more diverse as I initially thought. I like this very much, feels much more like a Tritium hunter now rather than a grinder. :)

I never thought that I would have so much fun with my FC. And then I hated them so much before the release... 😵

Last edited:
Meanwhile I'm confident to say, that related to Tritium, this can't be true. At least if meant as 'in general'. My last Tritium mining grounds were all pristine hotspots and far over 90% of non-glowing asteroids were worthless or yielded some Tritium in the lower one digit percentages.
And the glowing ones aren't usually good for tritium laser-mining anyway. The overall Tritium distribution is way more diverse as I initially thought. I like this very much, feels much more like a Tritium hunter now rather than a grinder. :)
I am doing a very similar thing to you. I think it's great what you're doing. Keep up the good work.

I have a question that may be unrelated, but in your findings are you finding that there are more LTD/Void Opal Hotspots than Tritium. I seem to be finding those a lot more than tritium?

Just curious as I think tritium Hotspots should be more abundant than those Hotspots because aren't LTDs/VOs meant to be rarer?

I have a question that may be unrelated, but in your findings are you finding that there are more LTD/Void Opal Hotspots than Tritium. I seem to be finding those a lot more than tritium?

Just curious as I think tritium Hotspots should be more abundant than those Hotspots because aren't LTDs/VOs meant to be rarer?
Same for me, Tritium hotspots seems more rare than other hotspots.

I am doing a very similar thing to you. I think it's great what you're doing. Keep up the good work.

I don't know what should and not even exactly what does. When I started this endeavour (in Colonia), I was still under the impression that Tritium is growing on trees. Maybe it's the region around Colonia? As of now, only looking at the latest 3 scout missions, I could easily confirm your observation. I hope, the devs have not adjusted the galactic Tritium distribution lately. I don't know if they can do this 'on the fly', if so then all our observations would be moot of course...

I don't know what should and not even exactly what does. When I started this endeavour (in Colonia), I was still under the impression that Tritium is growing on trees. Maybe it's the region around Colonia? As of now, only looking at the latest 3 scout missions, I could easily confirm your observation. I hope, the devs have not adjusted the galactic Tritium distribution lately. I don't know if they can do this 'on the fly', if so then all our observations would be moot of course...
I don't think it will be adjusted. It just seems a little odd for the distribution of hotspots. Anyways, back on topic.

Another question (Sorry for being a pest)

Are you taking into account the type of GG and/or Star type.
I recently found a Armonia Life Gas Giant with no HS's but 40Ls away was a Class 1 Jovial with loads. Which got me thinking about checking out GG type with found HSs.

Top Bottom