Community Event / Creation Exploring the darker reaches of the forum you happen across this thread. Drabbles #188: Exploration Disasters

Pick three of these stories

• 01 - RoyalHankey - When luck hits you its rare but bad luck is always around the corner

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • 02 - Edith_The_Hutt - You all meet in a disaster

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • 03 - Frank - Prey

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • 04 - cleonymus - You can't always find what your looking for.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • 05 - Listeri69 - Following the ancient shart...

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • 06 - phong - Nobody honks like Hankey

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • 07 - Commander Sir Samuel Vimes - Should I use a shoehorn or a crowbar?

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • 08 - Alien - The Great Barnard's Star Belch Off

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • 09 - FelixBast - A Lost Hope

• 10 - MrMogadon - You Ask How Did I Lose My Hand? Well Settle Down and I'll Tell You......

• 11 - Entarius Fusion - If a co-pilot gives you attitude, drop it like it's hot!, drop it like its ho

• 12 - Galactic Midden - The Poseidon Adventurer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Exploring the darker reaches of the forum you happen across this thread. Drabbles #188: Exploration Disasters

Apollo_1_crew.jpg

Congratulations RoyalHankey. That was some decisive victory. I hope you enjoy your mug as much as I did mine.

Mug!... <smash>

RoyalHankey's choice this week was "Exploration Disasters".

Psykokow hosts the Abraka-Drabble live reading show and "comedy" hour at 7pm GMT, Fridays on...
HUTTON ORBITAL RADIO! http://streaming.radionomy.com/HuttonOrbitalRadio (audio only)
LAVE RADIO! http://laveradio.com/ (audio only)
TWITCH! http://www.twitch.tv/psykokow/ (audio & visual)
and will also be uploaded to his You-tube channel & anywhere else he can inflict the world with our drabblings!

Come back on Sunday night to see how well your Drabble has done. At least come back before Monday 15:00 to check if you're the one that has to provide us with a topic.

Please vote. And a warning to all of the contestants, Don't vote for yourself or else you will be locked in an examination room with Psykokow who is slapping on a pair of rubber gloves.

01 - RoyalHankey - When luck hits you its rare but bad luck is always around the corner

Saint John Hawke decided to go to Beagle Point.
He set his course and set off.
Waypoint scan, waypoint scan, waypoint scoop scan.
He arrived there on Christmas Day and spent the whole of Christmas there.
Waypoint bang, he spawned into a killer system.

02 - Edith_The_Hutt - You all meet in a disaster

The Giant Leap Expedition was an explorer’s paradise: Dancing the neutron highway, surveying uncharted systems, gazing upon worlds never before seen by Human eyes.

Then you hit the anomaly.

It seemed like another pulsar, massive twin jets of incredible energy to supercharge your drive. Your ship plunged in and you lost consciousness.

You awake in a crater twelve parsecs from your last known position. Your ship reports the Frameshift Drive is inoperative. From the cockpit window you see other explorers similarly crash-landed. In the distance is an apparently abandoned outpost matching an obsolete mineral-rig design not in use for decades…

03 - Frank - Prey

I'm exploring new wildkow hunting grounds for my tribe. I see a strange white eagle glide down from the highest heavens.

I run to a clearing. There is the bird, larger than the largest hut. It stands stiff, and from it's belly comes a GOD!

He points a shiny finger at a wildkow and commands it dead with a deafening snap. The animal crumples where it stands.

He turns to face me. He knows I'm there even though I hide in bushes. The wiseman says gods can hear our silent voices. He points his finger at me. Please god no!

04 - cleonymus - You can't always find what your looking for.

12 weeks to Sag A. Another 2 to Jaques. Some female company was needed to celebrate.
A few drinks at the bar, had led to the local explorers nightclub.
In the dim lights, their eyes had met over a Lavian brandy and before you could say waypoint scoop, they were back at his room, getting to know each other.
Lips touching, tongues exploring, hands caressing.
His fingers shook as he undid the clasps on the flight suit, separating leather from skin. He explored ever lower, his body rising to the occasion.
Then his searching hand found his consort's member.
Disaster.

05 - Listeri69 - Following the ancient shart...

'After many long nights I have finally worked out what these symbols are' The Swedish accent heavy with the signs of drinking
'You're drunk, really drunk' -hung-low replied emptying his noodle into the trash
'You have to be drunk look, Bottle, smashed window, vomit, ginger, ginger...kebab... It's ancient Scottish' She burped into her onesie
'So what does it mean then?'
'Well it says here lies treasure but beware of the beast'
'The beast?'
'It says it was buried along with the treasure to avoid disasters'
We'll be cautious when digging it up then

Two days later they dug up Simoof...

06 - phong - Nobody honks like Hankey

"It's a disaster" said Klum,holding his head in his hands, "A complete and utter disaster.".Since news of St John Hawkes demise had arrived, a sense of gloom and despair had settled over the publishing house.His incredibly detailed and precise account of his journey had been eagerly followed by millions across known space and had boosted circulation figures to previously unknown heights.And now he was gone!
"I don't suppose ..,well, couldnt we use a ghost writer.?"
"Nobody could recreate his unique style.No,we'll just have to re-print some of his earlier articles and hope nobody notices."

07 - Commander Sir Samuel Vimes - Should I use a shoehorn or a crowbar?

It was the fault of my ex father in law. He'd configured the ship so as to take as much cargo as possible out to Jacques. He'd even taken out the galley for extra cargo space and all we had was a microwave.
Unfortunately he'd been in such a hurry to get our tasteless TV dinner dishes packed he'd not noticed the leaky damaged packages so we'd been on low rations for weeks. Half a microwave meal every 2 days is not enough
I'm spending my days dreaming up ways to get revenge on the ex-pa low ration dish haster

08 - Alien - The Great Barnard's Star Belch Off

Simoof and Psykokow were cooking. It was probably not the best idea.
"You can't put that in there!"
"Och they're explorers, they'll never notice"
"Let me do some poached eggs"
"We don't have three days to cook this meal"
"Well, you can't put pool cleaner in it, who knows what'll happen"
"It's fine, trust me"

At the table, the Thargoids were enjoying the meal, but the waiters were having to hold their noses, the smell was unbearable.
Barnard Star news had likened the dish to eating in Cubicle 3 at Hutton Orbital. The headline went as follows:

Eggs-Chlorination Dish Sharter

09 - FelixBast - A Lost Hope

“Traveling outside of the bubble of civilisation is a calculated risk that only experienced pilots should take, deep space exploration is dangerous!
Inexperienced or forgetful pilots who don’t bring an SRV, an Auto-Field Maintenance Unit or even a Fuel Scoop should stay closer to home.
But even the best pilots can have bad luck. Dropping out of hyperspace between three stars that are almost touching is definitely bad luck.
As my cabin fills with smoke, I look at the stars that will be the death of me and speak my final words. “I have a very bad feeling about this.""

10 - MrMogadon - You Ask How Did I Lose My Hand? Well Settle Down and I'll Tell You......

It started so well. Surface scans were exceptional. A fly past showed wonderful rolling hills and exquisite valleys hiding who knows what, covered in palm leaves with thick grass below.
After a cautious approach and seeing no hostiles, I landed and set to work.
Initial probing was successful and expectations were high. With haste I started to prepare my drilling equipment.
Then, just as the drugs wore off, I found an anomoly amongst the thick grass.
My Tahitian beauty dissolved into a totally-lubed Finn Gerrin, replete with hula outfit.
Let’s just say, I never wanted to use that hand again

11 - Entarius Fusion - If a co-pilot gives you attitude, drop it like it's hot!, drop it like its hot

"Your going to crash!", Jameson Exclaimed
"Listen! I've landed on Hutton Prime over 10 times all without damage to the hull!", Thane remarked back
"I don't want to be the second topping on a planet pizza! throttle back and approach slower!"
Thane gave Jameson a glower that could turn carbon into low temperature diamond "Increasing Descent angle!"
"For the Love of Jeebus slow down!"
The Merlin began to shake violently as the altimiter began to count down from 10km
"pull up!"
8km
"pull up!"
6km
"pull up!
4km
"ok this is looking bad..."
2km
"Im trying to pull us...."
0km

12 - Galactic Midden - The Poseidon Adventurer

"Tell us another Gramps" the cadets cheered.

"Very well", said Gramps. "Once upon a time I found a little chime, belonging to an ancient race. I opened station services and searched among the crevices for a mission to go join the chase. For light years away, but within the milky way, their homeworld remains a mystery. And if you jump scoop honk, jump honk, jump honk scoop, jump, jump honk, scoop, jump honk, then jump straight in between two hot stars...

"What the hell Gramps" the cadets interrupted, "this is rubbish!".

"Ach, go an boil yer heads you ungrateful sods".

I missed the Drabble show. :(

So much for client meetings and clients who show up late to said meetings.

Just noticed something on these polls now.... There's an UNVOTE link in the upper right-hand corner.

So now we can all vote on someone (like Listeri69) and make him feel good like he's going to win or something, and then we all retract our votes late Sunday and vote for a better drabble. :D

SWEET!!!!

There's an UNVOTE link in the upper right-hand corner.

So now we can all vote on someone (like Listeri69) and make him feel good like he's going to win or something, and then we all retract our votes late Sunday and vote for a better drabble. :D

SWEET!!!!

I see many opportunities for blackmail, Hehehe.

Just noticed something on these polls now.... There's an UNVOTE link in the upper right-hand corner.

SWEET!!!!
How long has that been there? o_O

I just used it to take my vote off of Frank (sorry Frank) because I want Listeri69 to win :)

An elegant solution to the problem of where to place the crucial third vote...unless we can use all three votes for the same drabble.

Pob03.jpg

This is Mr Winnard, also known as Listeri69.
Mr Winnard has M.O.D.S. If his condition is not treated, it could be fatal.
Mr Winnard doesn't get much treatment for M.O.D.S. as he is in an oppresive country run by a mad billionaire who will not allow imports from dodgy places like Hutton Orbital.
Mr Winnard desperately needs a mug to fight back against M.O.D.S. and without he may have to drink his tea or coffee or unknown beverage from a substandard mug.
When Mr Winnard is not suffering from M.O.D.S. he writes excellent, punny drabbles and doesn't even resort to unused Dockers scripts.

You vote is all he needs. Don't vote for Frank, he already has a mug and his drabble wasn't that good anyway (just teasing Frank, it was a good drabble).
Remember, votes stop M.O.D.S.

http://www.theworldthroughwoodeneyes.co.uk/wpimages/Pob03.jpg

This is Mr Winnard, also known as Listeri69.
Mr Winnard has M.O.D.S. If his condition is not treated, it could be fatal.
Mr Winnard doesn't get much treatment for M.O.D.S. as he is in an oppresive country run by a mad billionaire who will not allow imports from dodgy places like Hutton Orbital.
Mr Winnard desperately needs a mug to fight back against M.O.D.S. and without he may have to drink his tea or coffee or unknown beverage from a substandard mug.
When Mr Winnard is not suffering from M.O.D.S. he writes excellent, punny drabbles and doesn't even resort to unused Dockers scripts.

You vote is all he needs. Don't vote for Frank, he already has a mug and his drabble wasn't that good anyway (just teasing Frank, it was a good drabble).
Remember, votes stop M.O.D.S.

Get well soon Mr. Winnard! :D

I see many opportunities for blackmail, Hehehe.

It's impossible to blackmail Listeri69. When I showed him that disgusting perverted tape of him and those Russian girls he just laughed with delight. He called everyone around to have a look at it on the monitor. He tried to upload it onto You Tube with the title "What I Did On My Holidays" but the site wouldn't accept it because of the copyrighted music he'd added as a backing track, "Singin' in the Rain"

- - - Updated - - -

And by the way.. <sigh>.. Congratulations Listeri69

It's impossible to blackmail Listeri69. When I showed him that disgusting perverted tape of him and those Russian girls he just laughed with delight. He called everyone around to have a look at it on the monitor. He tried to upload it onto You Tube with the title "What I Did On My Holidays" but the site wouldn't accept it because of the copyrighted music he'd added as a backing track, "Singin' in the Rain"

- - - Updated - - -

And by the way.. <sigh>.. Congratulations Listeri69

It's available now on Itunes!!!! ;)

And thank you thank you all :)

Our Next Topic will be

DIPLOMATIC INCIDENTS

Top Bottom