Horizons Eyes-ling or Ash-ling?

*sigh* My Space Khaleesi <3

aisling.jpg

Last edited:
The name starts with the letters A-I-S. How anyone could even consider pronouncing that like "ash" is a mystery to me. OTOH, English is full of weird pronunciations, like this:

znl6bofy.jpg

(For the record, I did not make the image, I just found it somewhere I don't even remember.)

Last edited:
The name starts with the letters A-I-S. How anyone could even consider pronouncing that like "ash" is a mystery to me. OTOH, English is full of weird pronunciations, like this:

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/160118/znl6bofy.jpg

(For the record, I did not make the image, I just found it somewhere I don't even remember.)

This is not in English... It is an Irish name, they have their own language.

How would you say Siobhan? Does it sound anything like Schivorn? Irish - a law unto themselves but makers of marvelous beer!

This is not in English... It is an Irish name, they have their own language.

How would you say Siobhan? Does it sound anything like Schivorn? Irish - a law unto themselves but makers of marvelous beer!

You're right. It's Ash-ling.... and we make rubbish beer. Our stout is passable, or so I'm told. Although, the old boys would say that it hasn't been the same since that Spanish crowd bought them out.

It's a strange choice of name for a character of the nobility of a culture based on the Roman Empire. It never occurred to me that anyone would pronounce it differently, until I saw a couple of YouTube videos where it was pronounced wrong.

My wife's English. We named our daughter Sadhbh, (like Five but with an S)... funny listening to the English relatives struggle with it. The name comes from Irish legend. Sadhbh was the mother of Oisín (Uh-Sheen). And wife (?) of Fionn MacCumhaill. My wife tells people that this is why we chose the name.... but if I'm honest, I could see the confused look on the in-laws faces long before Sadhbh was born.

Last edited:
You're right. It's Ash-ling.... and we make rubbish beer. Our stout is passable, or so I'm told. Although, the old boys would say that it hasn't been the same since that Spanish crowd bought them out.

It's a strange choice of name for a character of the nobility of a culture based on the Roman Empire. It never occurred to me that anyone would pronounce it differently, until I saw a couple of YouTube videos where it was pronounced wrong.

My wife's English. We named our daughter Sadhbh, (like Five but with an S)... funny listening to the English relatives struggle with it. The name comes from Irish legend. Sadhbh was the mother of Oisín (Uh-Sheen). And wife (?) of Fionn MacCumhaill. My wife tells people that this is why we chose the name.... but if I'm honest, I could see the confused look on the in-laws faces long before Sadhbh was born.

My best mate is Irish, and I ALWAYS tell him he and the Irish people are just plain bonkers. You have just confirmed it. :D

So just how do you pronounce Sadhbh then.:S

Last edited:
Top Bottom