Fans Speeding up

Since the last major update of Elite Dangerous Horizons my CPU/GPU fans have started to speed up at times for short periods, even when I'm parked in a station, this is new to me and never happened before, I have cleaned all the dust from my PC although it was quite clean when I opened the case. This only happens in Horizons, no other games or software causes this.

Any other Commanders having the same problem?

Asus Rog Strix X570-F Gaming M/B - AMD Ryzen 5 3600X CPU with Corsair H60 2018 Hydro Series CPU Cooler - NVIDIA Geforce RTX2070 Super GPU
32Gb Corsair Vengence RGB Pro DDR4 3200Mhz RAM - Corsair 750W 2018 TXm series 80 Plus Gold PSU - 5 x Case Fans 3 x front and 2 x above.

Amazingly it's what fans do when a lot of heat is generated. Especially during the summer when it isn't exactly a cool room temperature either.

That said, ED can hammer both CPU & GPU, especially in large stations where it's rendering both inside and outside the station all the traffic, lifts, etc.

Last edited:
I have been playing ED and then Horizons since the beginning during cold winters and hot summers, I do not play ED Odyssey, but it is only since the last update that my fans have started to speed up, it's only for 2 or 3 seconds with a pause of 2 or 3 minutes before they speed up again. This only happens with Horizons, this does not happen with any of the Assassins Creed or Tomb Raider games which are probably more graphically intensive than ED, so I am just wondering if anybody else is experiencing this effect like me?

no but if I did I would set pc power saving to none remove gpuwoktable.xml from the products folder
remove driver and card in device manager boot pc once with driver removed and card disabled pc will go to a safemode low res boot
reinstall latest driver package and re-enable card in device manager then normal boot
just to test for cause and effect rule out especially if happening in non cruise open space away from any mass and room temp anbient is no higher than 25degc
be aware though it may be a result of this taking place soon https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/update-13-narrative-and-access-to-4-0.606333/

Last edited:
This happens to me on the main screen in Odyssey, it actually draws more power than in game causing more heat and therefore higher fan rate than actually in game. CPU etc not overloaded. Maybe they need to do some culling there too lol.

This happens to me on the main screen in Odyssey, it actually draws more power than in game causing more heat and therefore higher fan rate than actually in game. CPU etc not overloaded. Maybe they need to do some culling there too lol.

The lack of a CPU limitation is part of the reason why it pulls a lot of power on the main menu. More culling probably wouldn't help if you aren't capping the frame rate as it would just run the menu faster.

Top Bottom