Newcomer / Intro FAQ - Questions I've asked and had answered

CMDR MDMANIAC here and now that I've been playing the game for a few weeks, I wanted to share my own flavour of "guide" to n00bs (like me). There are lots of WOT posts about this, that and the third thing so I'm going to try to be concise (and funny?). These are questions that I've asked and had answered. NOTE: I'm not going to address specific loadouts or engineer questions in my list (it's really a day 0 - 7 thing) but other CMDRs feel free!

Q: I've heard there's a "first" mission but... where is it?
A: It comes in via in-game "mission critical message" so if you're the type of person who doesn't check their messages, you might miss it. But who cares?! This is Elite: Dangerous. You don't have to do it if you want to figure out something else to do instead.

Q: WTH? My loaner Sidewinder can only carry 4 tons of cargo?! How am I supposed to make money?
A: Assuming you started at Trevithick Dock, look up GD 215 in your Galaxy Map. Around that system, you'll find DATA DELIVERY missions that pay pretty well! Sure, Faraday Orbital is a loooong hop (327,000 ls) but it's the only place in the system and you can stack a bunch of missions (edit for clarity: you can accept multiple missions - up to 20!). Do it right and you can probably get between 500,000 - 1,000,000 Cr per run! YMMV but it's still pretty decent earnings for your first day.

Q: Doing data delivery runs is soooooo boring! Can I go shoot stuff? Can this tin can handle that?
A: Of course you can! You'll want to find a Resource Extraction Site (RES) in a High Security system. I recommend Noatiaca. Don't pick any fights yourself, just join in the ones the Federal Security Service are already fighting. So long as you get a few licks in before the target's health is 0%, you should get the Bounty. In a RES (high) you will likely find tougher targets but they're worth serious coin!

Q: I've made a bit of money and I want to buy a ship...
A: I know, that tin can Sidewinder is pretty cramped. Everyone has their own path (and some are determined to take their Sidewinder all the way down that path, which is cool) but my answer is COBRA mk III. It's cheap, it's available just about everywhere, it's versitile.... I've done just about everything in my Cobra from Bounty Hunting in high RES to exploring alien planets. I took it on my first exploration trip. I took it on my second, too. It's a great ship to get started in. Easily the best small multi-role ship in the game.

Q: How many ships should I plan to have in my fleet?
A: Ummm.... all of them? Most of them are particularly good at something but not everything. Right tool for the job and all that!

Q: But... being realistic?
A: At least 2. It depends how you're playing the game but.... remember that large ships (like the Anaconda or Corvette or T7) can't land on platform stations, which severely restricts the missions and trades you can do. But they can shift a lot of cargo, so they're worth having for that money making! So, you'll want at least a medium and a large ship. You can outfit them for whatever role you need but we're talking minimums, right? Oh, and if you forget the golden rule, you'll still have a ship to fly instead of going all the way back to Trevithick Dock and that tin can Sidewinder you loved so much!

Q: Golden Rule?
A: NEVER FLY WITHOUT THE REBUY! In fact, if you're playing it safe, keep 2-3x your rebuy (insurance) cost in your account. If you get blowed up and can't afford to rebuy your ship, then you are SOL. Thankfully, the Pilot's Federation will take pity on you and loan you a shiny new Sidewinder...

Q: Do I need to worry about rebuy even if there's no risk in what I'm doing?
A: Ask any number of players that question and they'll laugh at you. I'm laughing at you. And you might be me. There is no such thing in Elite: Dangerous as "no risk." Even if you can avoid being ganked by PvP-addled CMDRs, you don't drop in on any USSs, even "Threat 0" ones, and you avoid getting yourself into combat at all costs..... you still might accidently murder someone in the mailslot (a favourite passtime of the Docking Computer) or get stuck in it or accidently hit the boost button when you didn't mean to or fly into a star because you were looking at the other screen and suddenly your inputs stopped working.... Or some other mistake. Everyone has made one. Last thing you want to do is be that guy being salty in the forums because you made a silly mistake and lost your Federal Corvette because you accidently [fill in the blank].

Q: Wow... guess you guys are serious about the rebuy thing! OK, how do I make REAL Credits?
A: There are SOOOO many ways! To name a few:
  • Trade BASIC MEDICINES to systems that are currently listed as being in "Outbreak." You'll buy them for 200-400 Cr and sell them for 4,000+ Cr. If you're lucky, you'll get an even better deal than that! I was making ~7 million/hr in a T7 running medicine to an outbreak system and then running metals back. Use both in-game and external trade tools (like eddb.io) to your advantage.
  • Passenger missions pay pretty well but there are caveats - youtube it. I don't do "board hopping" but I do kinda enjoy being a tour guide.
  • Bounty Hunting pays well if RNGesus takes a liking to you and gives you loads of Anacondas, Clippers, Pythons, etc. Getting a Kill Warrant Scanner helps with the money making, too, although you have to either go find the faction that issued the bounty OR take a 25% hit at the Interstellar Factor.
  • Exploration. Specifically the "Road to Riches" (Google it...) I earned 35m Cr in... a few days of sporadic gameplay. Wasn't a bad way of getting out of my Cobra. Feels a little "grindy" because you're not really exploring the unknown so much as earning credits for scanning specific planets that you already know are there. Big bonus of this--you can do it in just about ANY ship, just need a Discovery Scanner and Detailed Surface Scanner and FUEL SCOOP.
v3.3 EDIT: "Discovery Scanner" is now an integral component of your ship, so that's neato. It allows you to "honk" systems to determine how many planetary bodies there are AND includes the "FSS" or Full-Spectrum Scanner, which lets you scan planets from a great distance and collect much useful information. The "DSS" or Detailed Surface Scanner is now actually a mapping-probe launcher, which you can use to map planet surfaces. This gains you even more credits AND can clue you into the locations of some of the new surface features that you can explore and discover.

Q: I've heard about 100m/hr earnings! How do I get in on that?
A: I'm not a fan of the "exploit of the week" method of earning money but I'm sure you've already figured out how to use Google and YouTube. Bear in mind that whatever "exploit" will probably be nerfed by the time you have what you need to take advantage of it.

Q: What's the most fun credits you've earned?
A: Easy! Rescuing people from a burning Coriolis station! I outfitted my T7 with Economy Cabins, flew to the station and went in (after requesting docking, of course). I'm not sure how I made it out! I had to reset/repair because my thrusters and FSD went haywire from the heat damage! I went to another station, repaired, fitted heatsink launchers and then I was popping a heatsink before I docked, another one as I took off. Made a bunch of trips, made a good few million Credits and the rescue ship is RIGHT THERE next to the station so it's a very quick way of earning as well as challenging enough to be fun. And it's a little role-play-y too.

Q: I bought the game because it was on sale on Steam. Is Horizons worth paying the extra $30 for?
A: OH. GOD. YES. - this gets asked all the time on the Discord channel... can I make the text flash or something?

Q: I think I'm going to go off Exploring now that I see all the cool planet visuals. What do I need to take?
A: While you CAN go exploring with basic modules, most agree that you're going to need at least an "Advanced Discovery Scanner" (v3.3 edit: as mentioned above, no longer a module you need to buy), a "Detail Surface Scanner" and, most importantly, the biggest, best "Fuel Scoop" that you can fit on your ship. It's also nice to have a Planetary Vehicle Hangar (with an SRV, purchased seperately) and Collector Limpet Controller, but those aren't crucial. Make sure you've got decent jump range -- you can A-grade your FSD and D-grade ('cos they're the lightest) just about everything else for maximum range. But don't think that because you'll be hundreds of light-years outside the bubble that you won't encounter pirates or other hostiles.

Q: You said "Fuel Scoop" -- a what-a-what now?
A: A Fuel Scoop allows you to refuel your ship by flying near a star and allowing the "scoop" to suck in fuel. Basically, upon entering a system with a scoopable star, fly slowly towards the star until your ship starts scooping fuel (it's automatic). The closer you are, the faster you'll scoop. Also, the faster you'll heat up! Try to find the right balance between refuelling faster and burning up your ship. HellRazor5543 has given a pretty decent run-down of the process below.

Q: So, which stars are scoopable?
There are several Memonics but I like (A)lways (B)e (F)ueling (O)r (G)onna (K)ill (M)yself. K.G.B.F.O.A.M. might be easier for you. YMMV. You can use this data to filter your route in the Galaxy Map and ensure you're traveling via scoopable stars. There are YouTube tutorials. Google it.

Q: I... didn't take anyone's advice and now I'm out of gas and stuck. What can I do?
A: Well... you can self-destruct and lose all your bounties, exploration data, cargo or whatever you've been gathering (other than crafting materials, which amazingly stay with you in the escape pod) OR you can call upon the biggest heroes of the game-- The Fuel Rats!!! (www.fuelrats.com) Click on GET HELP. Follow their instructions. Don't UA bomb their base...

Q: I did something and now I'm "WANTED" - what should I do?
A: If you got yourself a BOUNTY then first things first -- get out of the system where you're wanted. You can't do much there because "Anonymous Access Protocols" prevent most starport services. If there happens to be another station in the same system run by a different faction than the one you're wanted by, you might be able to go there. What you're really going to need is an Interstellar Factors, as they can clear your bounties... unless you Murdered someone... Until your bounty is cleared, your ship is "hot" and will be attacked by system security vessels (and Bounty Hunters) in that system and any other system that faction controls. If you're killed in a system where you're wanted, the fines/bounties are all added to your rebuy cost. Luckilly, you can go swap into one of your CLEAN ships and do other stuff without getting blowed up. Bear in mind that modules removed from a hot ship become hot modules!
If you got a FINE, on the other hand, you can pay that off at the Authorities Contact at a station run by the faction that fined you. No muss, no fuss. Crime and Punishment is complex but the idea is to make sure there are consequences for being naughty. And yes, you get fines and bounties when you do some missions and other things you're "supposed" to be doing.

Q: And... if I did happen to murder someone? [redface]
A: Congratulations, you're now notorious! When you murder someone (aka kill someone who's not WANTED) you gain a notoriety point. Notoriety takes real-world time to clear - 1 point every 2 hours of actual play - and the Interstellar Factors can't help you until your notoriety is zero. However, you can still swap into another ship (assuming you have one and can get to a station that will allow you) and do nice legal things and pet puppies etc while waiting for your notoriety to clear. You can check it in the right-hand panel. Once it does, you can clear your bounty at the IF.

Q: I know you said you're not going to cover loadouts but... there's so many weapon choices! What do I need to know?
A: [ugh] OK, fine, but YMMV so don't blow my head off with your Autocannons! There are 2 basic weapon types: Thermal and Kinetic. Thermal weapons (like lasers) are pretty good at pulling down shields. Kinetic weapons chew through hulls. Thermal weapons have the distinct disadvantage that they make YOUR SHIP hot, too. And they use a lot of power from your Power Distributor. You'll have to play around to decide whether you like beams, pulses or bursts when it comes to lasers (I like bursts, fwiw). Kinetic weapons are easier on your power systems and heat BUT they have finite ammo. The 3rd weapons type - Explosives (like Missiles and Torpedoes, Mines etc) - also have finite ammo. Important to remember: If you equip missile launchers or other explosive launchers, you need to MANUALLY "Restock" the ammo before you leave the station. I've forgotten that a couple of times and found myself in a combat situation with no ammo. One of my favourite weapons is the Rail Gun because it's a "light speed" weapon (so you can use a fixed weapon mount) that does tremendous damage. In Elite: Dangerous, nothing is "free" so it has some horrendous cons, too. It drains a lot of power, gets your ship really hot really fast, and has a "charge up" period when you pull the trigger. Play around with different ships, different weapons, different combinations, until you find what works for you! This is ED. There is no "best" anything, just "best for...".

Q: Ack!! I deployed my weapons and everything went to ****!! What can I do??
A: POWER MANAGEMENT! There are YouTube tutorials on this (of course) but basically... go to the Right Hand panel, Modules tab, and you'll see each module has a number next to it looking like < 1 > . Obviously, your weapon modules, shields, sensors and thrusters all need to be working when you're in a fight! But your Cargo Hatch and FSD don't really need to work. Maybe some other things, too. Click on the arrows next to the number and change the power priority to 2 or 3 so that you can fight! Rembember, though: it takes a few moments for some modules to boot back up, so keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that those modules might not work until you've retracted your hardpoints. You can't scoop cargo without a powered and functioning cargo hatch.

Q: OK, we're a couple of weeks into the game... what's this Engineering thing?
A: Well, you can tweak your modules to improve certain aspects of their performance - usually to the detriment of others, of course! You'll probably receive invites to a couple of engineers organically - Elvira Martuuk, Felicity Farseer and/or Todd "The Blaster" McQuinn. Once you have unlocked access, you usually have to donate something to them before they'll help you, which sometimes means a long trip to get the specific thing they want. To upgrade things, you need MATERIALS which includes raw materials collected from planet surfaces and/or mining, data packets collected from scanning things (you'll figure that out...) and manufactured materials collected from blowed up ships etc. You can find most of these types of things in various Unidentified Signal Sources (USSs) and you have gotten really good at using Google and YouTube to learn the nuances. For more information on Engineers, check out https://inara.cz.

Add your favourite Question/Answers below!

Fly Strong - Fly Like A Maniac!!
-Maniac o7

Last edited:
Fantastic stuff, CMDR MDMANIAC! :)

A must-read for new players - good to see Alec's putting it in his thread too.

To expand further on this:

Q: How many ships should I plan to have in my fleet?
A: Ummm.... all of them? Most of them are particularly good at *something* but not *everything.* Right tool for the job and all that!

Q: But... being realistic?
A: At least 2. It depends how you're playing the game but.... remember that large ships (like the Anaconda or Corvette or T7) can't land on platform stations, which severely restricts the missions and trades you can do. But they can shift a lot of cargo, so they're worth having for that money making! So, you'll want at least a medium and a large ship. You can outfit them for whatever role you need but we're talking minimums, right? Oh, and if you forget the golden rule, you'll still have a ship to fly instead of going all the way back to Trevithick Dock and that tin can Sidewinder you loved so much!

Having more than one ship gives you more options where Crime & Punishment is concerned. You may accidentally, or quite deliberately, incur some Notoriety along your adventures. It's good to have other ships to fall back on to do some legal activities while you wait for Notoriety to cool-down (you will need to do this before you can clear the bounty from the wanted ship). For more details on how Crime & Punishment works, see here.

That's just about the best list of answers I've seen to those questions. You could add "How do I scoop fuel?" to the questions. The answer is not so easy in a few words. It really heads a YouTube link.

That's just about the best list of answers I've seen to those questions. You could add "How do I scoop fuel?" to the questions. The answer is not so easy in a few words. It really heads a YouTube link.

Hmm. As someone who played Elite, I never asked that question. I shall add that one

Golden Rule 2
a: Never fit a smaller numbered FSD in your ship save up and get the A rated one, corollary never buy a new ship until you have at least four times the basic cost as new ships come with rubbish internals.
b: Always aim for a minimum of 10Ly jump range no matter what you plan to do with the ship.

A couple of nitpicks, but I'd say that you came up with one of the better crib sheets

Q: Doing data delivery runs is soooooo boring! Can I go shoot stuff? Can this tin can handle that?
A: Of course you can! You'll want to find a Resource Extraction Site (RES) in a High Security system. I recommend Noatiaca. Don't pick any fights yourself, just join in the ones the Federal Security Service are already fighting. So long as you get a few licks in before the target's health is 0%, you should get the Bounty. In a RES (high) you will likely find tougher targets but they're worth serious coin!

These missions can be added to your usual run and winning favor with factions unlocks access to better-paying missions, often for the same difficulty. But if it makes it feel grindy then don't feel bad about not picking one up and certainly if they're not where you're going. The High-RES has security vessels so you can scramble for cover should your target be too difficult.

I'm not sure, but I always kill-warrant scan my targets because even if they're wanted, you can earn a wanted status if you fire first.

Q: I've made a bit of money and I want to buy a ship...
A: I know, that tin can Sidewinder is pretty cramped. Everyone has their own path (and some are determined to take their Sidewinder all the way down that path, which is cool) but my answer is COBRA mk III. It's cheap, it's available just about everywhere, it's versitile.... I've done just about everything in my Cobra from Bounty Hunting in high RES to exploring alien planets. I took it on my first exploration trip. I took it on my second, too. It's a great ship to get started in. Easily the best small multi-role ship in the game.

I love my Cobra so much I engineered it a bit, excellent multirole vessel and easy to rebuy. But if you really like combat, the Viper IV.

And you should clarify that bit about GD 215 and not to panic about the FSD safety limit warning. I nearly needed brown pants because that was the first white dwarf system I went to.

Last edited:
A couple of nitpicks, but I'd say that you came up with one of the better crib sheets

These missions can be added to your usual run and winning favor with factions unlocks access to better-paying missions, often for the same difficulty. But if it makes it feel grindy then don't feel bad about not picking one up and certainly if they're not where you're going. The High-RES has security vessels so you can scramble for cover should your target be too difficult.

I'm not sure, but I always kill-warrant scan my targets because even if they're wanted, you can earn a wanted status if you fire first.
They changed this recently. So long as the system authority vessels are shooting at it, you can be assured it's a WANTED vessel and you're safe to shoot.... just don't unload on the security vessels! Also, turning in Bounties is a great way to earn Rep.

I love my Cobra so much I engineered it a bit, excellent multirole vessel and easy to rebuy. But if you really like combat, the Viper IV.

And you should clarify that bit about GD 215 and not to panic about the FSD safety limit warning. I nearly needed brown pants because that was the first white dwarf system I went to.

Yes, Viper IV is my go-to RES farming ship as it's cheap enough to rebuy when you accidently unload a couple of Rail Gun bolts into the wrong Anaconda... :rolleyes: but I'm trying to avoid getting too much into the weeds with this piece and I recommend the Cobra simply because you can try out a bit of everything the game has to offer without risking a multi-million credit rebuy.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot that GD 215 is a White Dwarf system. Big exclusion zone! [haha]

Last edited:
CMDR MDMANIAC here and now that I've been playing the game for a few weeks, I wanted to share my own flavour of "guide" to n00bs (like me). There are lots of WOT posts about this, that and the third thing so I'm going to try to be concise (and funny?). These are questions that I've asked and had answered. NOTE: I'm not going to address specific loadouts or engineer questions in my list (it's really a day 0 - 7 thing) but other CMDRs feel free!

Q: Wow... guess you guys are serious about the rebuy thing! OK, how do I make REAL Credits?
A: There are SOOOO many ways! To name a few:
- Trade BASIC MEDICINES to systems that are currently listed as being in "Outbreak." You'll buy them for 200-400 Cr and sell them for 4,000+ Cr. If you're lucky, you'll get an even better deal than that! I was making ~7 million/hr in a T7 running medicine to an outbreak system and then running metals back. Use both in-game and external trade tools to your advantage.
- Passenger missions pay pretty well but there are caveats. I don't do "board hopping" but I do kinda enjoy being a tour guide.
- Bounty Hunting pays well if RNGesus takes a liking to you and gives you loads of Anacondas, Clippers, Pythons, etc. Getting a Kill Warrant Scanner helps with the money making, too, although you have to either go find the faction that issued the bounty OR take a 25% hit at the Interstellar Factor.
- Exploration. Specifically the "Road to Riches" (Google it...) I earned 35m Cr in... a few days of sporadic gameplay. Wasn't a bad way of getting out of my Cobra. Feels a little "grindy" because you're not really exploring the unknown so much as earning credits for scanning specific planets that you already know are there. Big bonus of this--you can do it in just about ANY ship.

Community Goals can be nice money makers if they are close enough to you and you like the required style of play.

Q: I've heard about 100m/hr earnings! How do I get in on that?
A: I'm not a fan of the "exploit of the week" method of earning money but I'm sure you've already figured out how to use Google and YouTube. Bear in mind that whatever "exploit" will probably be nerfed by the time you have what you need to take advantage of it.

Should we mention that many of these big earners require investment (reputation, ship size)? Or mention that Google will be happy to show you exploits patched years ago?

Fly Strong!
-Maniac o7

It's also nice to have an SRV bay (with an SRV) and Collector Limpet Controller, but those aren't crucial. Make sure you've got decent jump range -- you can A-grade your FSD and D-grade ('cos they're the lightest) just about everything else for maximum range. But don't think that because you'll be hundreds of light-years outside the bubble that you won't encounter pirates or other hostiles.
a planetary vehicle hangar (might as well use the terminology a newcomer will see in outfitting)

Maybe after the fuel scoop bit add something like ...

Q. I didn't follow your advice and I've run out of fuel, what can I do?
A. Contact the Fuel Rats (a group of players who will come out and rescue you, pretty much anywhere in the galaxy) by going to fuelrats.com and clicking "Get Help"

Nice thread. I would add two things. First, my rule 2 is; Have Fun (it is just a game, but WHAT a GAME!). Rule 2a is; In VR have LOTS more fun!!! Second, how to fuel scoop. I will explain it here in the same way I do when I am talking to new Players.

First, imagine skimming stones on a pond. Get it right, and the stone will jump several times. Get it wrong, and the stone will sink without trace. Scooping is like that. Now, scooping proper. When you arrive at a suitable (KGB FOAM star) aim outside the edge of the star, and SLOWLY accelerate. After a few seconds a gold ring will appear around the star. This is the Impact Warning ring (and if you fly within it you will drop out of Super Cruise, taking damage and causing problems). Once this Ring appears aim the same distance from the outside of the ring as the edge of the star is from the inside of the ring, and continue at a reasonable speed. After a few seconds the fuel scoop will automatically kick in (you did remember to buy one, didn't you?), with an audible and visual message.

Now you are fuel scooping you need to monitor what is happening. The most important gauge in the Fuel Scooping HUD is the temperature. Until you have gained experience (and no, this is not me telling you to wait until you grow up!) do not let the temperature go over 66%, as it can then climb very rapidly. If it gets close to 66% pull away from the star until it drops back down again. (Through practise I can normally get closer, fuel faster, but not take damage, but this is dependant on which of my ships I am flying). The other things to watch are the fuel flow rate and the tank level. The closer you are to the star the quicker the tanks will fill. Once the tanks are full the fuel flow will stop, and you will hear an audible message.

OK, your tanks are now full. Pull away from the star, and once your temperature drops below 50% (OK, higher is safe, but experience will tell you what is or is not safe) you can then jump to the next star (if you are running through a route). Yes, once the star (on the sensor disk) goes from red to orange (assuming you have the standard default colour scheme) you could make a safe jump, but the temperature as you jump might be a bit higher than normal, and if you arrive close to binary stars you might have to do some rapid manoeuvres to prevent overheating.

Last edited:
There is one other thing I could add, perhaps my single biggest piece of advice I'd give anyone new to the game.

It's a common complaint that ED is grindy and you have to put so much effort into it. The game WILL feel grindy at times and it's because we've all set some pretty high goals and we're all trying to accomplish them yesterday.

Just leave it for a day or two if it's not fun. Trying to accomplish too much will make it feel more like a boring chore than a game because there IS a lot of effort to invest. When I come back, I still have my goals in mind, but it won't feel nearly as tedious. I ALWAYS keep coming back. If I keep lamenting about how much time I have to spend to get the things I want, who am I trying to impress?

There is one other thing I could add, perhaps my single biggest piece of advice I'd give anyone new to the game.

It's a common complaint that ED is grindy and you have to put so much effort into it. The game WILL feel grindy at times and it's because we've all set some pretty high goals and we're all trying to accomplish them yesterday.

Just leave it for a day or two if it's not fun. Trying to accomplish too much will make it feel more like a boring chore than a game because there IS a lot of effort to invest. When I come back, I still have my goals in mind, but it won't feel nearly as tedious. I ALWAYS keep coming back. If I keep lamenting about how much time I have to spend to get the things I want, who am I trying to impress?
I agree, but the way I deal with 'the grind' is to switch to something else. I have four main roles; Trading (I am Elite in Trading), Exploration (Pioneer), and RES (Resource Extraction Site) Combat (Deadly), and helping new Players with advise and Trade Dividends (however there are far more in the way of things to do). Once I start getting bored of one role I switch to something else. The beauty of the Game is there are so many different things you can do, to the point where no Player should have any excuse to get bored.

Excellent OP and thread! Wish it had appeared a month ago but I've been finding my way :) These boards, eddb, Coriolis, and youtube have been life savers for helping me along.

I'll update the OP with useful information as either I think of it or everyone else chimes in with it ;) Or as I find questions on the Discord channel or in the forums.

Not sure if this has changed with C&P - and I'm sure you'll understand that I'm not about to suicide to find out - but the best advice for new commanders I ever read was this...

In the first couple of hours in the game, most of us tend to be very cautious and risk-averse. In fact, this is the time to do all the risky stuff - die as often as you can, in all the creative ways you can think of. Because you have nothing - literally nothing - to lose. You die, you respawn with your Sidewinder, and you've lost nothing. So fly into stuff, and die. Shoot the station, the cops, and die. Boost through the mailslot, in and out, and die. Dawdle inside the station, and see what happens. Sling your ship around with reckless abandon, and die. As soon as you complete your first mission, or collect your first bounty, then you've got stuff to lose. You've made money, you've made 'progress', you have time invested, and now you have something to lose.

In the first five or ten hours in Elite, we die because we make mistakes and don't understand what's happening. We freeze, we panic, we die. So use those first couple of hours, and your free hits, to make as many of those mistakes as possible - and that might just save your life when it happens 'for real' down the line.

Hope that helps someone!

Not sure if this has changed with C&P - and I'm sure you'll understand that I'm not about to suicide to find out - but the best advice for new commanders I ever read was this...

In the first couple of hours in the game, most of us tend to be very cautious and risk-averse. In fact, this is the time to do all the risky stuff - die as often as you can, in all the creative ways you can think of. Because you have nothing - literally nothing - to lose. You die, you respawn with your Sidewinder, and you've lost nothing. So fly into stuff, and die. Shoot the station, the cops, and die. Boost through the mailslot, in and out, and die. Dawdle inside the station, and see what happens. Sling your ship around with reckless abandon, and die. As soon as you complete your first mission, or collect your first bounty, then you've got stuff to lose. You've made money, you've made 'progress', you have time invested, and now you have something to lose.

In the first five or ten hours in Elite, we die because we make mistakes and don't understand what's happening. We freeze, we panic, we die. So use those first couple of hours, and your free hits, to make as many of those mistakes as possible - and that might just save your life when it happens 'for real' down the line.

Hope that helps someone!

I don't know if this is something that *changed* per se, but all fines and bounties you've ever gotten are compounded into a lifetime figure, which is used to calculate future fines/bounties iirc. So, while you might be able to gain fines and/or bounties and get yourself blowed up a lot in your freewinder with little-to-no consequence, I do believe that those actions will still follow you through the game. They might not make a BIG difference, though.

I don't know if this is something that *changed* per se, but all fines and bounties you've ever gotten are compounded into a lifetime figure, which is used to calculate future fines/bounties iirc. So, while you might be able to gain fines and/or bounties and get yourself blowed up a lot in your freewinder with little-to-no consequence, I do believe that those actions will still follow you through the game. They might not make a BIG difference, though.

I think you need to read this as you seem to be confused:

https://support.frontier.co.uk/kb/faq.php?id=423

"Crime & Punishment FAQ - Updated: Tuesday 27th March 2018 - How do fines and bounties work?"

Last edited:
Top Bottom