Fastest way to get Guardian "Pattern" data?

Just in the process of re-visiting all the new Guardian sites to collect up all the remaining stuff I need to unlock the Guardian modules/weapons.

Got the Blueprints I need, and most of the physical mat's.
The only thing I'm short of is the Pattern Data from the obelisks, which I didn't really bother with first time around, cos I didn't think they'd be required for modules/weapons.

So, what's the most efficient way to get the Pattern Data?

Is there a single Guardian site which has all different types or do I have to visit several?

I read a Guide which says I, once again, need to start monkeying around with urns and caskets etc to get the data.
Not sure if that's correct.
At the Guardian Structure sites, at least, it's always been possible to just scan an obelisk and receive Pattern Data.

Or, does that only work at the Structure sites?
Am I going to need to head back to the old Ruins sites - and have to start monkeying around with ancient tat to get the data there?

At the moment, my current plan is just to visit a site, see what data is available and then re-log to get sufficient quantities of what's there and then move on to a different site.
I was wondering if there's a more efficient way though.

All RNG.

Go to the ancient ruins and scan obelisks. Can just keep relogging in front of the same one and get a scan each time or if thats not your bag can scan all them and reset the instance any way you want. Quickest way ive found.

The ruins are preferred as its easier to land your ship and traverse them in an SRV. Obviously at the ruins you wont get the mats that you get at structures so there is a bit of a trade off.

Orbs,casket,totems etc are only needed if you want to do the ram tah mission. You still get pattern data if you dont have any cargo.

My favourite way of getting them was to;

find a Gamma Ancient ruin site (flattest terrain for easy access to all obelisks quickly) of the 3 site types this is the one with the semi-techno appearance from above. Alpha and beta adopt a simular terrain trait of either extreme depression (alpha) or elevation (beta). and can be a pain to get around quickly.

then as stated above, go to every active obelisk ( artefacts are not required) scan, collect and reload your game mode of preference as this completely resets the site and it's data :)

I simply did the whole first ram tah mission, also boosted my explo rating from noob to pioneer. From that I got enough data to unlock all of the current stuff.

If you're running for all of the new mats, including the stuff the sentries drop, you might as well just scan the obelisks on the data core sites.

Gah,

As it turns out, I am short of Sentinel Wreckage Components as well, which means I need to get Sentinels to spawn - which means I need to keep farming the fragments even though I don't actually need them.

On the bright side, I'm finding that hitting the handful of active Obelisks at the Structure sites is giving me a modest variety of pattern Data so by the time I've got all the Sentinel Wreckage Components I need I'll probably also have got all the Pattern data too.

Wish you could dump the weapon/module blueprint fragments.
I've already got 40-odd of each and I'm probably going to have another 20 by the time I've got all the Wreckage Components I need and it'd be nice if I could give them away.

Last edited:
Of the structures ive been too,the one in HD 63154 spawns the most sentinels.

Thats where i farm their drops. Can get a bit hectic when scanning the data core after the puzzle but i dont really find the sentinels too much of an issue to dispatch.

Gah,

As it turns out, I am short of Sentinel Wreckage Components as well, which means I need to get Sentinels to spawn - which means I need to keep farming the fragments even though I don't actually need them.

On the bright side, I'm finding that hitting the handful of active Obelisks at the Structure sites is giving me a modest variety of pattern Data so by the time I've got all the Sentinel Wreckage Components I need I'll probably also have got all the Pattern data too.

Wish you could dump the weapon/module blueprint fragments.
I've already got 40-odd of each and I'm probably going to have another 20 by the time I've got all the Wreckage Components I need and it'd be nice if I could give them away.

Ahh yes, the wreckage component dilemma. where the grade 1 material is significantly rarer than it's grade 4 counterpart (weapon components).

took me at least 5 reloads of game modes to get the few I needed for a single upgrade. wishing you the best!...and try not to go bald pulling your hair out over the Extreme RNG on these things. :D

Bit of an update....

Eventually, I realised that the "trick" to this is to understand the purpose of the three different Guardian Structure sites.

The site in Synuefe EU-Q C21-10 is there to provide Weapon Blueprint fragments.
The site in HD 63154 is there to provide Module Blueprint fragments.
The site in Col 173 Sector QU-O D6-25 is there to provide Sentinels to shoot at and Obelisks to scan.

I just went back to the nearest site (the weapon BP one) and spent an evening doing the puzzle over and over again, even though I've already got enough BP fragments, just to get more sentinels to spawn and scan Obelisks.
After losing the will to live, I decided to pick a different site, just for a change of scenery.

Went to the 3rd site, 5 Sentinels spawned, killed 'em and re-logged.
Rinse & repeat for about half an hour and I had enough Wreckage Components.
Then headed for one of the two Ruins sites on the same planet, spend half an hour scanning Obelisks there (where you get twice as much data for every scan) and I was finished after, literally, 2 re-logs.

Seems like the 3 sites are designed specifically to be used this way.

Go to the "Modules" site, do the puzzle as many times as required to get enough BP fragments, scan any Obelisks you find, scav' the structures and any Sentinels you destroy.
Go to the "Weapons" site and do the same.
Go to the 3rd site and shoot at sentinels to get all the remaining mats and then go to the nearby Ruins sites to get any remaining Obelisk data.

If I'd realised this before I started, it would probably only have taken me an hour, instead of 2 evenings. [sad]

Bit of an update....

Eventually, I realised that the "trick" to this is to understand the purpose of the three different Guardian Structure sites.

The site in Synuefe EU-Q C21-10 is there to provide Weapon Blueprint fragments.
The site in HD 63154 is there to provide Module Blueprint fragments.
The site in Col 173 Sector QU-O D6-25 is there to provide Sentinels to shoot at and Obelisks to scan.

I just went back to the nearest site (the weapon BP one) and spent an evening doing the puzzle over and over again, even though I've already got enough BP fragments, just to get more sentinels to spawn and scan Obelisks.
After losing the will to live, I decided to pick a different site, just for a change of scenery.

Went to the 3rd site, 5 Sentinels spawned, killed 'em and re-logged.
Rinse & repeat for about half an hour and I had enough Wreckage Components.
Then headed for one of the two Ruins sites on the same planet, spend half an hour scanning Obelisks there (where you get twice as much data for every scan) and I was finished after, literally, 2 re-logs.

Seems like the 3 sites are designed specifically to be used this way.

Go to the "Modules" site, do the puzzle as many times as required to get enough BP fragments, scan any Obelisks you find, scav' the structures and any Sentinels you destroy.
Go to the "Weapons" site and do the same.
Go to the 3rd site and shoot at sentinels to get all the remaining mats and then go to the nearby Ruins sites to get any remaining Obelisk data.

If I'd realised this before I started, it would probably only have taken me an hour, instead of 2 evenings. [sad]

yes, sorry I should of been more clearer, this is exactly what I did to get my mats and data!! although it still took me a very long time to cumulate enough bit's and pieces for everything (I had full storages on every guardian material bar the wreckage components!!

Congratulations on getting those much needed materials! I hope they were worth the headache! :D

Congratulations on getting those much needed materials! I hope they were worth the headache! :D

It's more of a "completionist" thing - a mountain to be climbed. :p

Daft thing is, especially now the BP fragments have been reduced, unlocking the Guardian stuff isn't really that difficult at all - once you realise how you're "supposed" to do it.

Top Bottom