Favorite hotas throttle

We discuss sticks a lot, but rarely dedicate discussion to a stand alone throttle.
Just got a stick i love, but am still using the throttle from my t16000. It does the job, and build quality isnt an issue, but im curious if i should look into something else.

Personally I really like the TWCS throttle. Tons of hats and buttons as well as the paddles, it covers me playing in VR both in ED and will do so in MSFS2020 also. May not be the most sensitive throttle, but I'm more than happy with it. Gave up on the T16000M stick due to the yaw issue, now using a VKB Gunfighter.

I almost love the throttle from the x56. The feel is great, it wears itself in as you play so can be as nimble as you want.. but the primary value is the mechanical switches and the ones to the side of the throttle seem very badly placed. The behind the throttle buttons are defectively stiff, the hat switches are flimsy and unprecise, the thumb stick is flimsy but too precise, and i really miss the paddle from the t1600m for landing precision. But to pick that all up, the thing is built like a tank. Its got significant love and hate. Probably also because of the fact that in function its the best you can buy.

The t1600 throttle in comparison is a whole grade lower but impresses more than it should. The buttons and hats on the throttle are perfect. Snappy, precise, they don't feel expensive but they certainly aren't cheap, really solid. The paddle is great. I miss it. The only problem which is a show stopper is the sliding mechanism loses its lubricant after a reasonable amount of use and the thing collapses. Standard lubricant from hardware stores makes it worse, apparently there's super expensive internet lubricant you can order from obscure places around the world that work to return it to new but i wasn't keen enough for that.

It was upgrading to and x56 and seeing how well the t1600 compared that really increased my impression of it. The x56 would be perfect if they replaced the buttons and hats with the thrustmaster ones.

I started with the Thrustmaster T.1600 duo and gave up on the stick pretty fast, but I have no complaints at all about the throttle. Next step was the Logitech X56 hotas, and I do prefer that throttle over the TM, just a heavier feel and more buttons. I'm still using the X56 throttle, but with a VKB stick (the X56 stick worked great, just wanted to try something a little nicer). Pretty sure the Logitech is only sold as a pair, so not the best for someone who already has a stick they like... For the price of a Virpil or Warthog throttle, I think I'd just go to a 2 stick set up instead, so I'm guessing the X56 will be my last throttle.

I'm actually about done making a throttle with a teensy board & arduino (was pretty easy for a programming novice) that will compliment a second stick, but it seems to be one of those projects that rarely makes the top of the list.

The problem is there are very few quality throttles with central detentes. This means that even if you do use a throttle, you end up using it with a modifier key for reverse thrust.
The last throttle I ever used with Elite Dangerous was the X65F Force Sensing Joystick's accompanying Throttle. It was solid metal. so solid that in winter I was forced to make a rubber cover for it becuase the cold metal literally made my hand ache after a few minutes.
That had two detentes, one at 10% and one at 90%, I use the SST software to turn everything "behind" the 10% detent into reverse. Not ideal, but completely fine for 99% of my use cases...

If you can get a working X65F, I recommend it, beucase second hand it's a steal and its solid metal construction and sheer "built like a tank" heft make it one hell of a bargain, there are Windows 10 drivers floating around on t' interwebs...

I'd offer you mine, (have since moved on to a Virpil/Crosswinds setup) but I abused it so much by sticking stuff to it to keep my hand warm that it's not really in a sellable condition any more.. T_T

I kinda have dreams about using it on my secondary PC in VR since I honestly prefer it to the Virpil for Elite Dangerous) but it's just too big and has too much presense that the wife would defintely not approve.

Last edited:
Having returned my x56 for the third time in the 2 year warranty (now expired as I await the delivery of the final faulty device), I'm getting used to stick and keyboard, and I like it a lot. Precise control over your speed, etc. I have needed to put bits of sticky tape on some keys, though, so I can get the right fingers on the right keys for the rest position.
So definitely keyboard.
Also, X56 is utter rubbish. I love the Logitech after-sale support, but if they hadn't bought the rights to an absolute lemon they wouldn't need to bend over backwards as they are.

I'm really happy with my Virpil throttle. It's an older V2 model that has the adjustable detents. I have mine set for 50% and 75% thrust.

My first throttle was the T16000M version and it drove me crazy with how sticky and imprecise it was, even after using nyogel on it. Plus, it just didn't have enough buttons and hats.

These (multiple!) adjustible detents.; have they carried them over to the new models? That sounds absolutely ideal to me.

Unfortunately no. They were discontinued after the V2. It's one of the main reasons I'm not thinking of upgrading to the newer models. They do show up on ebay now and then though.

I use Pro Throttle USB CH Products because of the left thumbed mini joystick for precision pointing or movement.

ch-products-pro-throttle 34535.jpg
ch-products-pro-throttle (2).jpg
ch-products-pro-throttle (1).jpg

I use Pro Throttle USB CH Products because of the left thumbed mini joystick for precision pointing or movement.

View attachment 197565 View attachment 197566 View attachment 197567
Have you used other throttles? Only I've read that the CH throttle travel is pretty bad. I have a CH stick which I like (except that I have to do yaw with a mouse on the floor with my foot, lol), but not many people seem overly enthused about the throttle.
Am I wrong (I have no idea).

View attachment 197565 View attachment 197566 View attachment 197567

Yes, it may appear to some as a rather rudimentary throttle, however it has ALL the buttons in the right place and doesn't get side-tracked by putting unnecessary switches on the base. The analogue stick is also one of the big highlights for me. Button placement means everything to me and it's why I love this throttle so much. So many other throttles try to do too much, in my opinion, and don't get the basic things as right as this.

I just wished the whole thing was of a better build quality as I've had to repair mine at least 4 times (over 5 years) and I'm not heavy-handed with it. I'd like to see it remade with the EXACT button and analogue stick layout with the build of something like a Virpil etc. However, given the choice, I'd still pick the CH Throttle any day over any other one.

Have you used other throttles? Only I've read that the CH throttle travel is pretty bad. I have a CH stick which I like (except that I have to do yaw with a mouse on the floor with my foot, lol), but not many people seem overly enthused about the throttle.

Yup, it doesn't have a premium feel at all but for me, the superior button layout and stick on the CH Throttle makes up for it.

I have tryed the X 56 but was way to big for my hands, and now I use the T.16000 Joystick with twist for yaws :)

I have tryed the X 56 but was way to big for my hands, and now I use the T.16000 Joystick with twist for yaws :)
Thanks mate. I'm a bit gun-shy about thrustmaster after previous experiences, and I've got the X56 stick for about 2 months until it dies again. I think I might just have to bite the bullet and spend some money on some quality kit. 2nd hand V2 virpil throttle is looking good right about now. (It's my birthday tomorrow. I wonder if the wife has bought me anything yet..?)

Yup, it doesn't have a premium feel at all but for me, the superior button layout and stick on the CH Throttle makes up for it.
Okay. Tah. It's not really about how it feels (or looks, ), but how well it does the job, of course. I've probably read too many e-pinions. Thanks mate.

Thanks mate. I'm a bit gun-shy about thrustmaster after previous experiences, and I've got the X56 stick for about 2 months until it dies again. I think I might just have to bite the bullet and spend some money on some quality kit. 2nd hand V2 virpil throttle is looking good right about now. (It's my birthday tomorrow. I wonder if the wife has bought me anything yet..?)

Mouse and keybord with right apps and flight assist off is the winner in the open but I'am not a mouse player thats why I play in Solo or Private group so far, Congratulations on your birthday in advance 🥳

For me the Thrustmaster throttle has been great. Ive been Fa-Off 100% for about 3 years or so now.
The front paddles act as forward and reverse thrust and the small mini joystick has been my Vertical and lateral thrust.
Some of the buttons have started to not work recently, the the up and down button with grip on it near the mini has stopped working now.
Also the mini joystick is starting to gain drift and needs a larger and larger deadzone. Due to an Illness I play a lot. so between Elite, NMS, StarCit, X3 and X4, Arma3 and various other games I have played My Sticks and Throttles have had well over 30k hours of use. Over 7.5k of that in Elite.

But the throttle has outlasted 3 thrustmaster Joysticks, they are terrible, they always break on the Yaw.

Anyway I went nuts recently and bought myself Dual VKB nxt sticks and VKB pedals, will be replacing my Thrustmaster setup with that setup today.
and then spending a few weeks trying to unlearn 5 years of hotas use and 3 years of muscle memory for the fa-off thrusters in elite.
Rebuys here I come :)

TLDR- the thrustmaster throttle is great for fa-off.

Top Bottom