Favourite animals

We have a lot of talk about what should still be added, which is good, fine and dandy, but how about a round of appreciation for what we allready have in the game?
I wanted to ask, what are your 10 favourite animals and why? Cant wait to see the lists and see what is actually popular

Mine would without particular order be :

I'm not counting DLCs

1. Grizzly Bear
2. Formosan Bear
3. Giant Panda
4. Red Panda
5. Hippopotamus
6. Pygmy Hippopotamus
7. Indian Rhinoceros
8. Siberian Tiger
9. Gorilla
10. Orangutan

And top 10 from DLCs there would be
1. Dall Sheep
2. Polar Bear
3. Arctic Wolf
4. Cassowary
5. Koala
6. Jaguar
7. Anteater
8. Grey Seal
9. Sun Bear
10. White Rhinoceros

1. Malaysian tapir: I like these guys and these are the tapirs I have seen in the zoos I went until now. I am a bit unhappy that it became just a recoloured bairds tapir but I am happy to have it in game. Hopefully there will be worked a bit on the model.

2. Meerkats: They are so cute, in real life and in the game

3. Bactrian Camel: I like camels and I would really love to see the dromedary in game, too. Not only on various signs 😀. Also here, I hope the size gets adjusted one time.

4. King penguin: Nearly everybody likes penguins. The appearance and walking of penguins always makes me a good mood

5. Jaguar: I like all the big cats but Jaguar and Leopard are my favourites. Hopefully we will get a Leopard subspecies one time

6. Japanese macaque: Since I have seen a doku about these guys using the hot sources and so on they are one of my favourite apes

7. African elephant: They are so majestic animals

8. Fennec: I must say I was not so common with these guys. But through the game I have learnt to like these guys. They are so sweet

9. Red Kangaroo: The Australian Ironie animal. These guys let me wish to make holiday one time in australia

10. Pygmi hippo: I like both hippos but the pygmi hippo looks somehow very cute to me

My personal list would be:

Dhole: My personal favourite animal of the SEA pack. I understand why people dont like them and wasnt very hyped for them before i actually used them in game, but god damn they are a blessing. Their versatility and flexabilty is immens, being both suitable to be a highlight, a filler exhibit, part of tropical houses, part of coulder sections, just some random exhibit etc.
I personally prefer building boreal and temperd forest enclousures for them, but they are amongst the animals where i feel the possibility are limitless. Also they are pretty red good boys and girls, so whats to dislike about them? Only criticism after the texture update would be, that their habitat requirements are a bit to large, but thats still in an okay area.

Reindeer: So far one of the few northern hemisphere ungulents and my personal favourite. Another very flexible animal and a nice addition to both the Northamerican and european animal raster. I dont really have a gripe with them, they are just a fun animal that i like using and also very cute. Extra + for being of good use in more "budget" zoos.

Hippo: I might like my "filler" animals, but from all of the star animals this must be my favourite. Big, chonky and full of personality. I havent build anything with them yet, but i cant wait to get to my african section with all my new experience and build a great hippo house. If i had to guess why i like them more over the still very cool and great elephants and rhinos im quite certain it is because of their aquatic nature, enabling to build beautifull waterviewing galleries, tropical houses around a big body of water and them being an overall very impressive and imposing animal. They demand your attention and to build around them like no animal in this game does for me.

Anteater: Anteaters are cute. Anteaters also look funny. Most importantly Anteaters can both be the star of your show without being too demanding of the spotlight. They are a very fun animal for cool inbetween exhibits, while still holding strong when they have the spotlight. I like using them in a sort of "preband" way, where they catch attention and intrest before letting people in the area they are guarding, hyping the visitors up for whats to come and see, while style being open to be blow away even more by a brighter star.

Giraffe: Another costar animal, absolutely able the lime light on its own, but also sharing it with its roommates. The cool thing about Giraffes is, that they can be the "coolest" animal in your africa section and it will feel right and satisfiet, but they still leave up room for more after them, mostly reserved for hippos, rhinos, elephants or primates. They feel like one of the animals than can be in any zoo and you will never feel tired of them.

Meerkats: I doubt i have to explain, but they are the smallest and still one of the most iconic zoo animals in the game. They will be used in dozens of diffrent cool ways and bring us all a ton of joy.

Gray seal: They are cute, derpy and i love them. Nuff said

This is for me where the very strong feelings for animals end, but as three more animals to make the list complete i think i choose the Binturong, Nyala and Red pand.
Binurong and red panda are fun to build for, coming up with clever climbing frames and great as roommates for other animals while the Nyala where one of the first animals i build an exhibit for in the game and it was a toss up between them and the spotted hyaena for that reason.

Oh, thats fun, in no particular order:

1. Jaguar - Favourite big cat.
2. Sun Bear - Got to say I fell in love with them. They were not that known to me before the DLC, love how small and funny they are. Feels really unique to other bears.
3. Pygmy Hippo - My all time favourite as long as I remember
4. Giant anteater - What can I say, I like the weirdos.
5. Fennec Fox - Duh.
6. Malayan Tapir - I like its inclusion, but please fix it!
7. Grey Seal - If we will get a sea lion, it will steal this spot, but for now, I love the inclusion of pinniped. Brings something compeltely new to any zoo.
8. African Penguin - I always think of vacation in the tropics and summer when I look at them.
9. Red Kangaroo - love how they chill in the sun.
10. Bongo - Last but not least, my favourite antelope.

Got to say it was hard to pick, I love all the animals.

Great thread! There's so many amazing animals already in game. Top 3 are definitely in order, the remaining 7 are not as I'm not sure what order I'd put them in.

1. Giant Panda
2. Meerkat
3. Koala
4. Red Panda
5. Timber Wolf
6. Reticulated Giraffe
7. African Elephant
8. Snow Leopard
9. Clouded Leopard
10. King Penguin (though the African Penguin may replace it, just not enough experience with it yet)

My top 3 is clear:

1) Polar bear (in case it wasn't already clear 😁)
2) Red kangaroo. I love the animations of this animal, and having the babies in the pouch was a big surprise.
3) Meerkat. Another perfect animal.

The other 7 animals in no particular order:
4) African penguin (the king penguin until now, but it's been replaced by the African one because it's easier to use).
5) Reindeer. I'm living in Finland now and I've come to love this animal.
6) Siberian tiger. Tigers are my second favourite animal in real life after bears and I really like them in the game. I use more the Siberian because I prefer building in cooler places.
7) Grey seal. They look fabulous and I love how the move on the ground.
8) Fennec fox. Just adorable!
9) African elephant. I have so much fun watching the babies.
10) I'm cheating here and I'll say just panda. Up to you to decide whether it's giant or red, because I love both.

Ordered roughly in taxonomic order rather than favourites (which is what I always do):
  1. Koala - While they're a bit wonky given the current climbing mechanics, koalas are such a key part of zoos and wildlife parks here. They're also the only habitat animal in the game at the moment that's truly a local species for me, given they're abundant in the bushland and leafier suburbs where I live (dingoes and red kangaroos occurred here historically but are now locally extinct).
  2. Red Kangaroo - It's a kangaroo, what more needs to be said? Just make them walkthrough, pretty please.
  3. Meerkat - A real childhood favourite of mine as well as such an essential zoo animal, so happy we finally have them.
  4. Fennec Fox - Another absolute childhood favourite, always loved seeing these guys at the zoo as a kid and now I love seeing them in game.
  5. Dingo - I've held a fascination with dingoes for years and they've grown to become one of my favourite animals in real life, so I was one of the few people who was extremely excited to see them come in the Australia Pack. I completely understand why many people disliked their addition, but I might go so far as to say they are my favourite animal in the game. Just goes to show how there's always someone who'll love even a lackluster addition!
  6. Sun Bear - I've always loved sun bears, and was honestly just as excited for them as all the aquatic animals revealed in the same leak. They're the quintessential "zoo bear" for me, as well as extremely weird and goofy looking animals (which is a quality I always love). Just great jungle goblins all around.
  7. North Sulawesi Babirusa - Before the official reveal of the Southeast Asia Animal Pack the babirusa was the animal I was personally rooting the most for to be in the next DLC alongside the sun bear, and low and behold dreams came true. This is the only animal on this list not kept in Australian zoos, but I can't not include them here. They're just so weird looking, as well as the most iconic inhabitant of one of my favourite islands (Sulawesi is such a unique mixing pot of Asian and Australian biota).
  8. Nyala - A real modern favourite of mine, I only learnt about these guys a few years ago but they near instantly became my favourite antelope (which is really saying something because I love my antelopes). I was really surprised that they made it into the game over the related and more famous Greater Kudu, though there's no complaints there from me!
  9. Southern Cassowary - While not quite as iconic as the related emu, the cassowary is arguably even more distinctive (at least no layperson will mix them up with ostriches) and is just an incredible animal overall.
  10. Saltwater Crocodile - The saltie was heavily used by me prior to the Australia Pack given it's the only Australian habitat animal in the base game, and it continues to be a staple of my zoos. One of the first very zoos I build was modeled off the crocodile-themed touristy zoos and wildlife parks I had been to in tropical northern Australia, so I also have fond memories from that.
Honorable mentions: Binturong, Spotted Hyena, Dhole, Grey Seal, Reticulated Giraffe and Komodo Dragon

I haven’t used every animal in the Africa pack yet as I’ve only had time to create a white rhino habitat and watch them for awhile. So my list is:
1) African Elephant- favorite animals to build for. Look amazing.
2) Western Lowland Gorilla- was very happy to find out we were getting gorillas in the base game.
3) West African Lion- my favorite animal in rl. Enjoy watching them and making habitats for them.
4) Sun Bear- One of my favorite animals in the game.
5) Siberian Tiger- Maybe the most iconic tiger.
6) Southern White Rhino- so happy to finally have them in game. I recall in the beginning of PZ wanting the black rhino more which is unusual since the white rhino is my fav rhino. It took about a month or two to change my mind. Still want a black rhino also tho.
7) Polar Bear- I play sandbox so I’ve always enjoyed these guys with the former restrictions off of course.
8) Proboscis Monkey- probably my favorite animal of the SEA pack. Very happy they made the roster although I’m yet to build for them.
9) Mandrill- one of my favorite animals in game. Looks great also.
10) African Penguin- haven’t built for them yet but they look amazing.
Honorable mentions
Grey Seal
Saltwater Crocodile
Orangutan
Dall Sheep
Babirusa
Giant Anteater
Cheetah
Meerkat
Koala
Indian Elephant

Ooh, let's see. I love all the animals. So let's see. No particular order, by the way:

1. Southern cassowary - they add a lot of character into zoos
  2. Dhole - these are awesome, and they are a part of my favorite book, the Jungle Books. I love them
  3. Fennec fox - I haven't actually used them yet, but from what I've seen they are a must
  4. Giant otter - I like them, and it's fun to watch them, both in-game and real life
  5. Red Kangaroo - does this need an explanation?
  6. Jaguar - my favorite cat and it screams tropical rainforest
  7. Ring tail lemur - all hail King Julian
  8. Gharial - I would never have expected these in-game, but I love them
  9. Komodo dragon - like the cassowary, they bring character into a zoo
  10. Clouded leopard - I didn't think I'd like them that much, but I was wrong. And they remind me of my brother's cat

That's it, I guess. But every animal is great, at least to me. Even the small exhibit animals I enjoy

Heres mine not in order:

1. Jaguar
2. Giant Anteater
3. African Penguin
4. Southern White Rhino
5. Southern Cassowary
6. Clouded Leopard
7. Dwarf Caiman
8. Okapi
9. Galapagos Giant Tortoise
10. Cheetah
plus my favourite exhibit animal is the green iguana :)

Heres mine not in order:

1. Jaguar
2. Giant Anteater
3. African Penguin
4. Southern White Rhino
5. Southern Cassowary
6. Clouded Leopard
7. Dwarf Caiman
8. Okapi
9. Galapagos Giant Tortoise
10. Cheetah
plus my favourite exhibit animal is the green iguana :)
Looks like someone likes making southamerican sections in their zoo ;)

That's a tough call.

1. Capuchin: I only wish we had more small monkeys, but these guys are great, and seeing them in their habitat is a ton of fun.
2. Meerkat: Definitely the highlight of the Africa Pack for me. My zoo feels more real just because of them now.
3. African wild dog: My favourite IRL canine, and I've done a little bit of work with them in real life, so they're pretty special to me.
4. Gorilla: They recently usurped orangutans as my favourite great ape, and especially in the game because of how lackluster the orangutan actually is in design.
5. Gemsbok: I just think they look beautiful, and they're a good stand-alone antelope.
6. Giant panda: My favourite animal overall, so I try to use them in every zoo I build.
7. Jaguar: Though, I suspect they will be usurped by the clouded leopard when I finally get around to putting them in.
8. King penguin: Currently haven't yet used the African penguin, but I adore king penguins.
9. Polar bear: Even before the recent update I enjoyed making big dynamic habitats for them.
10. Mandrill: Probably my favourite overall primate.

Last edited:
I've always had a preference for small mammals in real life which generally translates into this game as well, so let's see how this goes...

1. Red panda - my absolute favorite species in general, and the game more than does them justice. They're adorable and perfect in every way. I just wish you could get away with a larger group size in franchise.
  2. Binturong - what an absolute turnaround they pulled here! It's another of my favorite species, so I'm still ecstatic with how great they are after the redesign.
  3. Fennec fox - I haven't even bought the DLC yet and I'm already in love with how they turned out. They're perfect.
  4. Meerkat - see above. They're a genuinely vital zoo species, and Frontier nailed them. I'm so thankful for these smaller species finally getting their time to shine.
  5. Snow leopard - my favorite species as a kid, which I still have tremendous fondness for. They're beautiful in game and out.
  6. Giant otter - for as much as I would've preferred the North American river otter or the Asian small clawed otter, the fact that we have any otter whatsoever is a delight. They're one of the most fun species to just watch move around.
  7. Ring-tailed lemur and red ruffed lemur - I'm cheating, whatever. They're more huge personal favorites, and they go hand in hand. Mixed lemur habitats are an absolute delight both in real life and in Planet Zoo. I'm desperately hoping we somehow manage to get at least one more lemur species before it's all over, and ideally more than that (as if).
  8. Giant anteater - as with all of the above, they're another favorite species of mine. So visually distinct and striking, and a great starter species in the game.
  9. Capuchin monkey - my first species that I would've never given a second glance prior to this game. As the only real small monkey in the game, these fellas put in a ton of work right now considering how often zoos use small primates in between the main attractions. They desperately need some companions here.
  10. Dall sheep - another surprise favorite strictly because of their in-game representation. They're so much fun. I thought for sure they'd end up being the "filler" species when I first got the arctic pack, but I couldn't have been more wrong.
Interesting how 7/10 ended up being DLC. Just goes to show how far above and beyond Frontier is taking them. I suppose runners-up would include the timber wolf, grizzly bear, Formosan black bear, grey seal, clouded leopard, giant panda, and babirusa. And there's still plenty of other species I still haven't found opportunities to use yet, so who knows what other future favorites are waiting just below the surface.

Top Bottom