FC interior Update 11 will/not cost 25€

Remember when they tried to make Windows 8 look like a tablet.... That worked out well :)

That must have been an episode a good windows/bad windows I missed altogether, I am thankful!

While I do not fully agree with the list below, this is how a number of IT pros have summarized the Windows release history:

• Windows 95: Good
  • Windows 98: Bad
  • Windows 98 SE: Good
  • Windows ME: Bad
  • Windows XP: Good
  • Windows Vista: Bad
  • Windows 7: Good
  • Windows 8: Bad
  • Windows 10: Good
  • Windows 11: ?

Could they not just charge for the 'more gameplay and ships'?

I have no doubt some would be happy to pay for carrier interiors but a pDLC that has utility to new players (like more gameplay and ships) might provide more of a cash injection :)

Plus P2W as a discussion point probably has more legs than something we already know is coming to add much needed value to the Odyssey pDLC :)
Dripfeed of content for live service games is proven to be the most effective business model in terms of cashflow. Microtransactions far outpace straight sales, especially when prolific and frequent (hence the never-ending march of paintjobs you don't want or need). If it didn't work, they wouldn't be drowning in cash (and FDev is drowning in cash).

No, I am not being sarcastic. Really, really, this is the business model they employ and it works.

If you want the game to develop at a quicker pace, fire the entire lead staff - 'Lord' Braben included - and hire someone who wants to build a visionary game and not make stacks of cash while doing it.

There's a reason artists and creatives are renowned for being poor. Everybody wants the stuff in their head, nobody wants to actually pay for it.

hire someone who wants to build a visionary game and not make stacks of cash while doing it.

That's a pretty good description of what I thought I was buying into when I bought ED shortly after launch :) The Kickstarter (which I followed but didn't buy into) seemed more like a test of viability, the 'build the next game using the profits from the first but not at the expense of the first' business model seemed sensible, and was a risk that has paid off for the company.

If FDev wanted to milk it for all it was worth, there have been lot of opportunities to do so over the years that were not exploited as much as they could have been.

To some extent I still think ED is a passion project. Not 100% passion, not 100% maximising profit, but it is part of the identity of FDev as an ongoing concern that links them to their roots in the gaming industry.

It's not only about the money.

Dripfeed of content for live service games is proven to be the most effective business model in terms of cashflow. Microtransactions far outpace straight sales, especially when prolific and frequent (hence the never-ending march of paintjobs you don't want or need). If it didn't work, they wouldn't be drowning in cash (and FDev is drowning in cash).

No, I am not being sarcastic. Really, really, this is the business model they employ and it works.

If you want the game to develop at a quicker pace, fire the entire lead staff - 'Lord' Braben included - and hire someone who wants to build a visionary game and not make stacks of cash while doing it.

There's a reason artists and creatives are renowned for being poor. Everybody wants the stuff in their head, nobody wants to actually pay for it.
That may well all be true.
Just not necessarily true for Elite specifically.

Ah, for a moment I thought I was in the Star Citizen thread. Point of fact, the reason why ED is self published by FDEV is because no-one wanted to back it, literally no-one, so as far as I am concerned that's passion. Everyone else thought it was a dead on arrival, but they still went ahead and pushed it out with their own money!

That's a pretty good description of what I thought I was buying into when I bought ED shortly after launch :) The Kickstarter (which I followed but didn't buy into) seemed more like a test of viability, the 'build the next game using the profits from the first but not at the expense of the first' business model seemed sensible, and was a risk that has paid off for the company.

ED and SC are pushing two very different models of game development, SC is "it's finished when it's finished, just keep giving us money", ED is "we'll do the best we can as we go and hope you enjoy playing it."

I have a sub to SC, I did that the same time I payed for ED because I thought they both had a lot of promise, but ED was the only actual "game" out of the ones I looked at that was worth playing. I also looked at NMS but didn't like the survival mechanisms and didn't sub, they didn't need the money, and looked at and EVE Online but pure exploration is a no-starter there really. I also subbed "Dual Universe" because I think that's worth backing. I back things I think are worth backing, some of them make it, some of them don't. I hope ED will keep going for a long while, I hope they eventually get to release ELW but if they fold before then, oh well, I've still had fun!

Ah, for a moment I thought I was in the Star Citizen thread. Point of fact, the reason why ED is self published by FDEV is because no-one wanted to back it, literally no-one, so as far as I am concerned that's passion. Everyone else thought it was a dead on arrival, but they still went ahead and pushed it out with their own money!
I don’t remember Frontier ever making the claim that ED was published by them because they touted it around and no-one else showed any interest.

Mind you it was a long time ago now and my memory has proved to be faulty before.

I don’t remember Frontier ever making the claim that ED was published by them because they touted it around and no-one else showed any interest.

Mind you it was a long time ago now and my memory has proved to be faulty before.

I thought it was fairly well known that FDEV couldn't get external financing for Elite Dangerous which is why they went to kickstarter, but maybe my memory is wrong, there is information from David Braben himself that Elite Dangerous was on the backburner for several years before the kickstarter was launched but I can't find a specific quote regarding external financing, I suppose I could be wrong and am mixing up two different things.

Let me be absolutely clear !
Nfcs and other ways of ripping gamers off, has its place. With the plonkers.
But fdev know we cmdrs are not in that bracket of online gaming.
We're elite.
So arx yes that's barely kk.
But the minute fdev even debate flogging ships modules and on foot stuff, I'm done.
I'll go get ripped off @ scam citizen instead.

Let me be absolutely clear !
Nfcs and other ways of ripping gamers off, has its place. With the plonkers.
But fdev know we cmdrs are not in that bracket of online gaming.
We're elite.
So arx yes that's barely kk.
But the minute fdev even debate flogging ships modules and on foot stuff, I'm done.
I'll go get ripped off @ scam citizen instead.
Frontier know some of us are plonkers as we gave them way more money that an average game cost in 2012 with no guarantees at all.

I'll always support the game I love!

Disagree
You disagree with what I said about how Frontier released a disaster with Odyssey and did so knowingly and that they outright likely lied about the console release as it was probably not even remotely on schedule. I disagree with you too then, for being utterly obtuse when you think they deserve even more money for this kind of conduct and treatment of loyal customers like yourself.

Theres nothing OK with the mistakes they continually make with Elite and especially in the way they pretend to care on a level where they actually display in the end that they are learning from them.

You disagree with what I said about how Frontier released a disaster with Odyssey and did so knowingly and that they outright likely lied about the console release as it was probably not even remotely on schedule.
Strongly disagree you sound like one of those who said the game dev for NMS lied!
I disagree with you too then, for being utterly obtuse when you think they deserve even more money for this kind of conduct and treatment of loyal customers like yourself.
If we want the game to survive we need to pay for it.
Theres nothing OK with the mistakes they continually make with Elite and especially in the way they pretend to care on a level where they actually display in the end that they are learning from them.
Im ok with the way they do things which is why I continue supporting them.

Strongly disagree you sound like one of those who said the game dev for NMS lied!

If we want the game to survive we need to pay for it.

Im ok with the way they do things which is why I continue supporting them.
Funny bringing that game up when they not only redeemed themselves in my opinion, but haven't charged me ever since the initial release. Say the same about Frontier?

Second, you sound like a broken record with the constant emphasis on Frontier needing paid. Logical for a business, yes, but you forget that they are being paid. Look at their wealth! I think Elite has more than plenty funding now for a game that actually soaked up money through kickstarter, which going back to your NMS point about them lying, Frontier actually have lied about what we WILL be doing in Elite, when as it stands we get told "No intentions" on features otherwise used to prop up the product and vision to juice up the players for it's future.

Third, if you're OK with them then you are willfully ignorant and care little about my point of view to spite me, because how would anyone admit to being OK with how they do things going by how they have been doing things!

Top Bottom