FC Usage Charts

Bit of fun - based of the eddb data dumps. Could well be some errors (I found some this morning :) ), but hey ;)

So here are the numbers for how many FC have been updated each day in eddb - if they've been updated then someone probably docked at them (owner or visitor). The 'moved' number indicates if they moved to a different system (and also requires them to have been updated). You can see the effect of the mining breakage from the 15th - the number of updates and movements both start to slide (though they seem to have stabilised now). The chart also points to how many FC are not moving ... 'quite a few'.

1595847720262.png

But .. I hear you say ... those numbers don't add up - eddb is reporting 9000+ FC - where are the other 7000+? Next we look at 'how long since each FC was updated in eddb':

1595848077813.png

(This is based upon a single eddb dump from recently) We can see that there are a number of FC recently updated in the dump, but it then there is a long tail of up to 38 days with no updates (as far back as my data goes). Is there a better way to show this?

Well, here is the cumulative chart of the same data:
1595848300198.png

You can see that 50% of FC have been updated in the last 10 days. This chart also help illustrate why the numbers in the 1st chart are so low - a lot of FC aren't updated very often, so only show up sporadically in daily data.

Finally - let's look at the number of jumps that FC make, and how many systems they jump to. (Noting that the eddb dumps are daily, so we completely miss FC that and hopping around a lot, they'll only get counted as having jumped):
1595848564982.png

(This data is from approx 3 weeks starting the 7th July). Again - only around 7k FC were seen at all (if you add up all the bars) - so the other 2k were not touched. And of the 7k that were visited 3k+ didn't move during that 20 days ( I guess they are maybe Squadron assets and just parked in their local systems). If you squint you can see that the count of jumps made is bigger than the corresponding 'systems visited', so there are a few jumping between the same systems.

I'm quite surprised by the small numbers of FC making a lot of jumps (just over 600 (out of 9000) were seen in 7 different systems over the 20 days) - I kinda expected FC to be used to run errands around the bubble (I know I do), but it seems a lot are stationary. Maybe this will change once mining is fixed.

That's all!

(Usual caveats: The data is based on eddb dumps, so will miss FC that are private / have never been uploaded - so they may be acting a lot differently to the sample, but probably not)

It didn't feel like I was using my carrier much - I certainly don't jump it every day - but EDDiscovery is telling me that I've made eighteen jumps since July 7 - call it sixteen since two were today.

Despite running EDMC it turns out I'm not even a bump on the on the right of the bottom line of 'jumps and systems'. As famous as ever! :D

I do play most days - I think I've missed two since July 7 - which most people probably aren't free to do. Jumps/days played would be an interesting statistic, but I don't know if that's one that could be extracted from the data.

Edit: I wondered how many were double jumps: to unscanned system,then to body in system. But I only seem to have done that once.

Last edited:
Only jump twice in the month of July. Once to a system close to Asterope and back to a system near Shinrarta. Waiting for the Tritium situation to settle down.

I'm not moving mine alot , it cost alot TBH. And if you'r not cargoing or doing one specific task , for the bubulle , taxi bubulle stay way better/faster and cheaper.

I'm using mine to mine and trade atm , exploration being total NOP for me with the actual patch.

You may also note that many just abandoned their , waiting for things to change , because the last patch broke 2 gameplay loop revolving around FC.

I jumped my FC twice since "owning" it. Currently, there is no compelling reason for me to spend the Tritium to move it, not when my Jumpaconda can go where ever I want in little time.

Given that I use a Jumpaconda to travel to engineers and such and the fact that most of what I do is in support of my PMF these days, there is very little use for an FC. I am close to decommissioning it; especially since I loath the idea that my bank account is being run down each week because of it (yeah, I have about two years of funds on the FC... white knight whine whine whine... but that's not the point).

Then there is this:
Problem-With-FCs.png

Last edited:
Number of FC updated per day seemed to be levelling out at just over 1000, but the (red) 7 day trend seems to be heading back down, and the daily updates dipped below 1k for the first time yesterday. This was possibly related to 'the great fc un-jump' on Friday, but I would have thought those FC would still have been getting updates 🤔

1596967057167.png

Is there any way to directly see how many FCs get decommissioned?
I have a feeling more and more in Colonia are.

Is there any way to directly see how many FCs get decommissioned?
I have a feeling more and more in Colonia are.
Well, there's still ~100 in Colonia system alone, and I don't remember seeing many red on the nav panel just now, so probably not very many as a proportion.

The journal does have CarrierBuy, CarrierDecommission and CarrierCancelDecommission events, but they're not sent via EDDN so can't be directly tracked.

Seems pretty obvious that Tritium costs and time it takes to mine it have pretty much killed FC enthusiasm.

From the very beginning it seemed ridiculous that FD made re-fueling the primary activity associated with FC ownership.

At 4k/T we see how quickly a system gets jammed up with a full limit of FCs re-fueling in a single system.

So of the nearly 15k FCs 255 will get the fuel they need at the price they think is reasonable.

It's like hunting for Lysol wipes.

Just make the avg price 4k/T everywhere and re-fueling will still be time consuming, but won't be ludicrous.

And the parking lot traffic jams will end...

Top Bottom