FDev - are there any plans to implement OLED burn-in protection?

I saw this post earlier, which is all well and good for PC Cmdr’s but isn’t for console Cmdr’s - especially with new generation consoles a lot of people have also bought a new TV to go with them and, with OLED screens, there’s the medium to long term danger of burn-in and ED has a lot of static elements on the screen that are bright oranges and blues which are very high contrast and seem to be the most likely to lead to burn-in on screens.

In the absence of a “turn the HUD off” option, which isn’t ideal, it would be great to have a minimal HUD or a complete colour change in areas - in this post you can see what the Cmdr did and I think it’s a good thing.

“OLED burn in happens after a long time” I hear you say, but E IS a game that people play for a long time, and I’d be reluctant to do any sort of long journey into the back with this danger present.

edit: I’ve got my HUD already set as low as possible.

Any thoughts on this please FDev?

Proven burn-in post here -

Last edited:
In the options and in the internal panel under ship options there is an ability to dim the hud. I don't know how much of an effect that will have but it's something I guess 🤷‍♂️

Yea this for sure. When I turn mine the whole way down it's almost unreadable. It's visible but that's about it
I don’t want to have to turn down my TV and miss all the HDR details of the universe in my view: that’s a workaround for a single game. It should just be easy to dim or change the problem elements.

You’re saying the equivalent of “my headlights are so bright it keeps dazzling oncoming traffic” - “well, drive a different way home then”.

A solution is always better than a workaround.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I don’t want to have to turn down my TV and miss all the HDR details of the universe in my view: that’s a workaround for a single game. It should just be easy to dim or change the problem elements.

You’re saying the equivalent of “my headlights are so bright it keeps dazzling oncoming traffic” - “well, drive a different way home then”.

A solution is always better than a workaround.

I think it's unlikely we'll get customisable HUD colours on console. It's been asked for pretty much since launch.

Also HDR isn't even supported by the game and the PS5 is effectively faking it with Elite Dangerous. Could explain why the HUD actually looks worse to me on PS5 although not convinced it's the Quality mode being broken which does this rather than fake HDR as no other games seem to have the issue.

A workaround is better than burn in on an OLED. I am looking to get an OLED at some point so it's something I'd love to see from Frontier.

You might be best raising an actual support ticket than posting here as you might get a response at least directly from Frontier.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I've been considering a LGCX for a while. My thoughts were more on persistent HUD elements that don't move (wing member status) over colour scheme - but I would like the option to have a.

"OLED TV Burn-In Safe HUD Colour Scheme"​

Might cost extra ARX for console.
Sorry for resurrecting this but, after recently looking to buy an OLED it got me thinking back to Elite....

...And yikes that burn in is pretty nasty. Elite HUD looks to be a killer. FDev have never even commented on the issue. I'd definitely not play Elite on an OLED for extended periods of time.

I am surprised LG replaced the panel as burn in is not usually even covered as part of the warranty!

Sorry for resurrecting this but, after recently looking to buy an OLED it got me thinking back to Elite....

...And yikes that burn in is pretty nasty. Elite HUD looks to be a killer. FDev have never even commented on the issue. I'd definitely not play Elite on an OLED for extended periods of time.

I am surprised LG replaced the panel as burn in is not usually even covered as part of the warranty!I Nended
Only last week I ended up buying a https://www.ebuyer.com/918873-benq-ew3270ue-31-5-4k-ultra-hd-gaming-monitor-9h-lgvla-fse after much research. It's for my work and desk gaming. Coming from a 42" 2014 Sony 1080p the step up (down in size) is amazing. Even bog standard Elite looks waaay better. It's the VA panel, which I chose specifically, with what they say is low end HDR. Well huge difference for me. Tested out on my current PS5 selection... wow! HDMI 2.0 (rather than 2.1) 4k / HDR at 60fps is fine for me atm.

I don't use my living room right now and had intended, when I move back 'home ' after 20 years away to buy a LG OLED '55 perhaps and bask in my new place.

However, the persistent items such as Wing there at the top of the screen, might be a worry. At least the rest of the screen moves.

Last edited:

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Hehe, it's amazing the only way to improve the image quality with Elite on PS5 is to 'downgrade' the screen size. 😟

I still have a 49" 2019 Sony 4K KD-49XG9005. It's only HDMI 2.0 too so stuck at 60hz which for PS5 is fine. It's still got really good HDR output compared to most PC monitors. PC monitors still seem to be lagging behind TVs when it comes to HDR. Most PS5 stuff looks great at 4K. Elite Dangerous not so much due to the much discussed 1080p presentation.

My PC monitor is a LG 27GN750 which is a 2020 1440p 144hz VRR monitor. It's HDR is pointless as it just doesn't have the contrast ratio to do it. It's a great gaming monitor and was cheap compared to the 2021 models. I will upgrade it at some point. It's great for Elite on PC though. I don't use this screen for the PS5.

Coming back around to the topic I'd love a 120hz HDMI 2.1 LG C14 OLED but, still worry even the new models will burn in with Elite, although I do play Elite a lot less on the PS5 now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom