FDEV - No Guardian Commodities at any USS - pls confirm

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
I have visited at least 15 USS's today (both Degraded and Encoded Emissions, both Threat 0 and 3 and belonging to both minor factions) in Synuefe EN-H D11-96 system (the current CG system) and I haven't found a single Guardian commodity. Plenty of materials, but no commodities. None of my friends were able to find any either.

We were supposed to get 2 new ways of getting them and so far it seems we're still stuck with structures/ruins prospecting with SRV.

FDEV - can you please confirm if Guardian commodities are available at USS's at all or am I wasting my time?

Now...

/rant slash feedback mode on

Sorry-not-sorry, but this is getting really tiring.

First - out of the blue forums poll instead of in game one with IMO very poor narrative delivery (generic Galnet article and no lore at all behind Zende Partners, no mention of them in the Codex > Knowledge Base > Corporations - I mean why did you even implement the Codex if you're not using it for stuff like that?!). Then the weekly ferry jumps and a game breaking bug with some people unable to log in when boarded the ferry and now this - a CG where some new-but-not-really-new gameplay was supposed to be introduced, but it's wrong type of cargo (materials instead of commodities).

I am still not giving up on this first Interstellar Initiative and please believe me that I really want to like it. I really do! Honestly though, you're not making it easy at all... Quite the opposite in fact :rolleyes: If the following ones are going to be like that than I can't say I'm interested.

Last edited:
The new/additional way to get Guardian Commodities is pirating them from the NPC freighters in the Convoy USSs. So, there are USSs containing commodities, but you have to work for them (and get bounties/hostile over time?).

Yeah, I was hoping we could get commodities by destroying the Pirates who are attacking the convoys. Because I like playing the good guy.

Ah well, I'll just fly down to the surface and relog-farm relics instead :(

You can also get commodities raiding the installation, at random times in there cargo holds it will flip to guardian item, so do not allways need to go to USS...

As others stated in the cargo USS the T6 - T9s can carry 0 - 4 guardian items... if they have point defence then you have to risk taking there hull down to as low as 1% and getting the cargo rack to malfunction... and spit out items (doing so will requires a super duper strong shield and a bit of luck)
The items will then sell on the Black market to count for the CG... As you pirate more the sooner system defence will show up...

Last edited:

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
The new/additional way to get Guardian Commodities is pirating them from the NPC freighters in the Convoy USSs. So, there are USSs containing commodities, but you have to work for them (and get bounties/hostile over time?).
There were supposed to be two ways: pirating and salvaging. Only the former seems to be the case.

You can also get commodities raiding the installation, at random times in there cargo holds it will flip to guardian item, so do not allways need to go to USS...
This is great news, I'll try that tonight!

Take manifest scanner and find it before you hack the cargo racks as they are not prefixed in a single cargo rack...
due to the gravity well you may have to Target the guardian item, fly after it and fire collector limpets after it... this is piracy so you will go wanted again...
I.F. mega ship is still present in HR 3005 system when you want to wipe the bounty...

Not that great actually. Two cargo bays that may or may not contain 1t of guardian stuff, and 1400cr bounty for getting them. Decreased profit on the black market, and an occasional trip to the prison ship by either turning yourself in or visiting the IF there. This whole CG is a mess.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Not that great actually. Two cargo bays that may or may not contain 1t of guardian stuff, and 1400cr bounty for getting them. Decreased profit on the black market, and an occasional trip to the prison ship by either turning yourself in or visiting the IF there. This whole CG is a mess.
You shouldn't get a bounty if you do it in silent running.

Just to reiterate - is there any chance the mechanics could be changed so that commodities also drop from destroyed pirates attacking the convoy? It's ok if they show up as illegal salvage, I just don't like playing as a pirate in general, and farming them at the Guardian Site is boring AF.

I tried raiding the installation last night for a bit of a change of scenery (didn't have collector limpets on me so was a bit of a pain picking them up by hand - shipping them out to have another go this evening).

Anyhoo - on the 4 passes I made, each cargo rack (the scan showed two) had 1 guardian commodity each time. But as @GraphiteGB said - the gravity has an impact. After they eject from the cargo bay they seem to either a) get pinned in some corner of the structure, making them impossible to pick up, or b) they take off like a bat of hell towards the planet. If you're gonna try this would suggest to get your collectors deployed first and get super close to the door to try and catch them on their way out (might work). Silent running and heatsinks are definitely your friends if anyone wants to try this (I didn't get a bounty), you have to keep popping sinks as the security response will scan you and find a bunch of illegal cargo in your hold otherwise ;)

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
I tried raiding the installation last night for a bit of a change of scenery (didn't have collector limpets on me so was a bit of a pain picking them up by hand - shipping them out to have another go this evening).

Anyhoo - on the 4 passes I made, each cargo rack (the scan showed two) had 1 guardian commodity each time. But as @GraphiteGB said - the gravity has an impact. After they eject from the cargo bay they seem to either a) get pinned in some corner of the structure, making them impossible to pick up, or b) they take off like a bat of hell towards the planet. If you're gonna try this would suggest to get your collectors deployed first and get super close to the door to try and catch them on their way out (might work). Silent running and heatsinks are definitely your friends if anyone wants to try this (I didn't get a bounty), you have to keep popping sinks as the security response will scan you and find a bunch of illegal cargo in your hold otherwise ;)
Thanks mate. I actually know installation looting quite well, did a lot of it in the bubble. The trick for the cargo not to get stuck in the installation is to back away from the installation after the hatch breaker starts hacking. The farther away your ship is, the more impact the cargo ejection seems to have.

Also, keep SR on at all time.

I use shieldless DBE for that :)

Thanks mate. I actually know installation looting quite well, did a lot of it in the bubble. The trick for the cargo not to get stuck in the installation is to back away from the installation after the hatch breaker starts hacking. The farther away your ship is, the more impact the cargo ejection seems to have.

Also, keep SR on at all time.

I use shieldless DBE for that :)
All sage advice.

BTW sorry if this sounded like I was trying to teach people to suck eggs, it was more an answer to the question "has anyone tried looting the installation and does it have commodities?" I too have been known to ... ahem ... liberate goods from installations occasionally (purely for scientific reasons you understand).

However, unlike your wise council to use a ship that can fit into tight spots, I only decided to join the expedition at the last minute and therefore did zero forward planning. I grabbed whatever "small enough" ship I had lying around - not already committed to something else - and stuffed it with ill assorted modules I could grab in time for the ride. Hence why I'm now trying to squeeze a goddamn whale of a Chieftain with all its stupid sticky out bits in between bits of rocks, guardian architecture, pylons, or bits of installations...

Anyway - back on topic - I was consistently getting 1t per cargo bay, which is a shame, because I was hoping this would turn out to be the "fast way" and they'd drop more like 5-10 or something. As is it, it doesn't feel much faster than driving round/relog at ruins/structure (other than saving time landing/lauching from planet) and the payout is a bit less (also I didn't get any relics, they were all totems, orbs and the like - maybe just RNG). Hoping others have better luck.

I've been wondering how I was supposed to deliver Guardian Materials to the outpost/megaship since we can only trade materials and not sell them. Did really Frontier realized that only last week before going live?
I think I will wait for the next phase. This one seems terribly grindy and boring. Not for the gameloop itself but the SRV can only transport 2 objects... If only we had BIGGER SRV...

Last edited:

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
I collected 70 tonnes yesterday pretty quick. Didn't measure the time, but it wad the first time ever in my 5 years ED career where I felt that the game forced me to use relogging. First time in 5 years I was sat at Guardian Ruins between 2 Ancient Relics and kept relogging.

I'm really sorry to say, it's a complete disaster and farce.

It's like a standard trading CG, but the only ship you can use is a Sidewinder with Class 1 cargo rack.

I collected 70 tonnes yesterday pretty quick. Didn't measure the time, but it wad the first time ever in my 5 years ED career where I felt that the game forced me to use relogging. First time in 5 years I was sat at Guardian Ruins between 2 Ancient Relics and kept relogging.

I'm really sorry to say, it's a complete disaster and farce.

It's like a standard trading CG, but the only ship you can use is a Sidewinder with Class 1 cargo rack.
Salvage CGs have always worked like this and it is a salvage CG, untill the Escape pod salvage CGs... were mega ships spit out lots of them and the burning stations wee added..
They were 5 items at a time in each instance...
If fdev put in New "game mechanics" the data miners would have allready found them and posted them... Was hoping for a guardian tractor beam to replace collector limpets as the new tech but that was crushed when the Advanced multi cannon leaked during live stream...

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Salvage CGs have always worked like this and it is a salvage CG, untill the Escape pod salvage CGs... were mega ships spit out lots of them and the burning stations wee added..
They were 5 items at a time in each instance...
If fdev put in New "game mechanics" the data miners would have allready found them and posted them... Was hoping for a guardian tractor beam to replace collector limpets as the new tech but that was crushed when the Advanced multi cannon leaked during live stream...
If there were USS with 3-5 Guardian commodities in them I would be happy.

Driving and collecting 2 tonnes at the time, then delivering to your ship is not fun.

Hacking installations for 1 tonne is not fun.

Pirating Type 7's for 1 tonne is not fun.

I wouldn't mind USS because your can come across different scenarios and it makes it much more interesting. Alas, we can only find materials in them, no commodities at all - as confirmed by FDEV in another thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom