FDEV, please confirm that...

I truly hope AP is more than that. I've done the 75% throttle before, and our ship still drifts off target over time, even if you use the little dot to perfectly center a distant planet. There better be at least some "microsteering" to keep our ships on target.
I certainly hope so, otherwise the new mechanic will be next to useless. There are other ways to teach new CMDRs how to use their throttle and stick...

Deleted member 182079

D
I am not sure if it warrants the addition of a module...
I still think it's useful if you're commuting a lot (A>B>A trading or data deliveries). After a few k ls, if I don't correct the approach now and then, I miss my destination by quite a margin in case I check Galnet (lol), the galaxy/system maps, market data, Inara & co, Codex, my phone, or am AFK.

As someone else mentioned elsewhere, I will most certainly fit out a ship (maybe 1 data courier, 1 haulage vessel) with both modules simply to avoid tedious approaches and landings if I stacked missions. That activity will be so much more pleasant as a result (IMO).

Edit - and to add, the way I understood Will's post is that it will lock on to the destination and keep its course. Just like the DC does currently - if a ship or other object gets in the way, tough (although I would think in case of a planetary body etc. it'll just throttle down to minimum SC speed, which is probably also what they meant by "orbiting" - could be wrong ofc).

... the Supercruise Assist module will be capable of holding the course and navigate around bodies if the destination is obscured. According to the stream yesterday it sounds like it is only capable of maintaining speed, which would not only make the feature completely useless but actually harm the new player experience.
It is going to be interesting to see how clever it is. ie: Can you literally arrive in a system, press a button and you'll navigate around the star and all bodies all the way to the station in question? If so cool!

AND, I wonder what it means to people's ongoing concerns of scripting as regards Powerplay. eg: For years there's been the issue of automatied ships doing runs to affect outcomes, and now if one of the more complicated aspects of getting from X to Y is automated by the press of a button?

I still think it's useful if you're commuting a lot (A>B>A trading or data deliveries). After a few k ls, if I don't correct the approach now and then, I miss my destination by quite a margin in case I check Galnet (lol), the galaxy/system maps, market data, Inara & co, Codex, my phone, or am AFK.

As someone else mentioned elsewhere, I will most certainly fit out a ship (maybe 1 data courier, 1 haulage vessel) with both modules simply to avoid tedious approaches and landings if I stacked missions. That activity will be so much more pleasant as a result (IMO).
The question is if the new module actually supports course correction.

It is going to be interesting to see how clever it is. ie: Can you literally arrive in a system, press a button and you'll navigate around the star and all bodies all the way to the station in question? If so cool!

AND, I wonder what it means to people's ongoing concerns of scripting as regards Powerplay. eg: For years there's been the issue of automatied ships doing runs to affect outcomes, and now if one of the more complicated aspects of getting from X to Y is automated by the press of a button?
There already are bots being way more capable than that, so for me it's a non issue because the issue already exists.

Deleted member 182079

D
The question is if the new module actually supports course correction.
See my edit - I understand that it does, albeit very limited. Tbh that's good enough for me. If it were just doing the 75% throttle that'd be silly.

I truly hope AP is more than that. I've done the 75% throttle before, and our ship still drifts off target over time, even if you use the little dot to perfectly center a distant planet. There better be at least some "microsteering" to keep our ships on target.
Interesting "Like" you got on your post there ;)

Heya guys,

The Supercruise Assist Module will not be able to take you to a location that is obscured. You'll be able to target your destination and then rely on the Supercruise Assist Module to properly maintain your speed and approach before being dropped out properly at your location.
A sign! Thx!

AxGqcMR.png

Heya guys,

The Supercruise Assist Module will not be able to take you to a location that is obscured. You'll be able to target your destination and then rely on the Supercruise Assist Module to properly maintain your speed and approach before being dropped out properly at your location.
Thanks for the clarification.... BUT to clarify your clarification :) If your target station is on the far side of its planet? ie: It's obscured by the planet the station is orbiting around, your suggestion is that you can't then use the feature? Or will the assistant know to go around the planet/body in the way?

If the unit can't handle this, it surely risks making its usefulness a bit of a lottery? eg: With a 1 in 4 chance say of you randomly not being able to use it because the target station happens to unluckily be behind its planet?

Last edited:
Heya guys,

So I actually can use this to refill my beer without risking overshooting the station. Great stuff!

Just in case beer selection takes a while, will the ship drop out and stay parked at 0 m/s or will I need to be on hand as I'll still be going at 300 m/s?

Thanks for the clarification.... BUT to clarify your clarification :) Iif your target station is on the far side of its planet? ie: It's obscured by the planet the station is orbiting around you suggestion is that you can't then use the feature?
Then it's obscured and you'll need to unobscure it. Two ways to do this: a) fly left or right or up or down until obscuration is removed, b) blow up the planet.

Then it's obscured and you'll need to unobscure it. Two ways to do this: a) fly left or right or up or down until obscuration is removed, b) blow up the planet.
Well, they did say there are more of those Lucifer Devices out there. Maybe they're going to be given to n00bs as a 'Docking Aid' to remove those pesky planets ;)

Why not just introduce a method that collects cargo and sells it for you as well, so we can just turn on the game and then go down the shops or something. Oh hang on a mo, botters are already doing that.

Heya guys,

So we will have course corrections after we aligned with the correct destination? Thanks for clarifying!

Top Bottom