Ships FDL Overheating

Hello,

I just bought a FDL and I am trying a build ( https://s.orbis.zone/3buo ) that I found somewhere on reddit for PVE Combat. I really like this ship but during combat it keeps overheating to the point that it is damaged by the heat.

Any suggestion to avoid the overheating... or even a better build.

Thank you,

CMDR ZOLAR o7

With that weapon array it's not surprising you're getting heat problems as all the weapons are high energy types, you can apply engineering to help efficient on the PA's and sturdy on the railguns also armoured power plants have more power output, better efficiency and increased integrity with a modest mass increase.

Here's an edited version of your build although I'm not sure why you're using a 4A thruster the FDL relies on speed and big shields.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_l...EweloBjA6SQUwIYHMA28QgIwVyKBQA==&bn=The Raven

The approach I take with an FDL for PVE (I suspect the build you found is PVP) is lasers to strip shields and a huge kinetic weapon (cannon, MC or even a PA), I'm currently engineering this build but it should be fine for PVE combat.

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/fer...A.EweloBhAOEoUwIYHMA28QgIwV3fEQA==&bn=FDL BMC

Here's mine as she stands

Weapons are

2x medium efficient thermal vent beams
2x medium overcharged, autoloader multicannons
1x Huge overcharged corrosive multicannon

Not suggesting a change, just showing a build that doesn't suffer from overheating. Of course the thermal vent beams can help to offset other high-heat weapons. They have to be hitting to work. Misses mean even more heat. But they are a nice counterweight for mounting weapons that produce a lot of heat. Thermal spread on the power plant can help too.

IMO the FDL needs a base heat increase of 25%.

Or lower it's thermal capacity by 25%.

The ship needs a downside as right now, it seldom has one.

2x medium overcharged, autoloader multicannons
1x Huge overcharged corrosive multicannon
Wouldn't it be more effective to pack the special effect corrosive on one of the medium MCs (as it also reduces ammo) and put the autoloader on the huge gun?

Wouldn't it be more effective to pack the special effect corrosive on one of the medium MCs (as it also reduces ammo) and put the autoloader on the huge gun?
Considering fire rates:
huge MC lasts: 617 seconds (494 corrosive)
medium MC: 272 seconds (218 corrosive)
Conclusion: even corrosive (reduced ammo) huge MC lasts longer.
This could be a point if you are not a fun of synthesis.

The benefit here for me is that a huge multicannon does not suffer from spin-up time. So in effect it allows me to have all multicannons on the same fire group, and the corrosive multicannon can be fired single-shot. A quick press of the button fires single rounds. If the button is held down for another second, the mediums spin up and start firing. Like a defacto two-stage trigger. In addition, having the mediums with different mods puts them out of sync with one another, which I don't like. This setup works great for me.

And as dm06 alluded to, the huge multicannon rarely (never?) runs out of ammo since it fires so much more slowly. But the single-shot capability means I can add corrosive even if I just want to keep beams on target while leaving the medium multicannons silent.

Last edited:
Hello,

I wanted to thank you guys for your help...for now I fitted 2 beam lasers 2 multi cannons and 1 huge multi cannon , and it looks like the heat is more manageable.

o7

If you engineer the beams, you can choose efficient and thermal vent mods for each one. This can dissipate heat so well that you will drop the heat to zero, and hear crackling while your canopy ices up. Great to pair with other, hotter weapons.

Top Bottom