Feature Focus #1 - Terrain Painting and Scenery Improvements

Now this is excellent news. I'm hoping that the new rock formations and trees have some new dinosaur AI attached to them, such as the Small Carnivores climbing and hopping around on the rocks and the sauropods poking their heads into the trees. Terrain options look great but I hope we also get a Sand option for the beach sand texture already in the game.

These will be specific to each island, allowing you to create your individual areas whilst still ensuring each island retains its own unique feel and personality. You will be able to theme areas with rock, mud and grass effects, and certain islands, like Isla Muerta, will feature sand brushes to help you create those lush beach-front dinosaur resorts you've always dreamed of!

Which terrain brushes are specific for Isla Nublar? Will it be possible to create desert themed enclosures in Sandbox mode?

[Terrain types] will be specific to each island, allowing you to create your individual areas whilst still ensuring each island retains its own unique feel and personality.

The different shrubs types were originally envisaged as part of the differentiation between the different islands, but we wanted to progress that so they could be used on all the islands [...]

Aren't these two statements contradictory?

Is the aim to ensue that each island retains its own unique feel? Or, is the aim to give players the freedom to style the islands as they see fit, regardless of what island they're on?

Don't get me wrong. I am extremely excited by this update, but I do wonder why the terrain tools cannot be used on all the islands like the shrubbery.

Hello Park Managers,

We are excited to bring you a new update to Jurassic World Evolution this summer, which will feature a huge selection of additions and improvements. To give you some insight into what to expect, we'll publish three weekly Feature Focus articles to give you an overview of some of the content coming soon.

Our first Feature Focus is on a topic we know a good number of you are interested in learning more about...

Terrain Painting and Scenery improvements!

A few of you noticed our little Easter Egg in the last Developer Spotlight picture from a few weeks ago... Whilst we're sure many people do enjoy rocks and the sun, it's still a bit unusual to have framed photos of them on your desk! These were of course hints towards our new environmental improvements coming to Jurassic World Evolution that will let you style your parks to make them even more unique. With Update 1.8 we'll be adding a number of terrain painting and scenery improvements and we're going to highlight a selection of those today.

Terrain Painting

Update 1.8 introduces a selection of terrain brush tools that will allow you to alter the land textures of your parks. These will be specific to each island, allowing you to create your individual areas whilst still ensuring each island retains its own unique feel and personality. You will be able to theme areas with rock, mud and grass effects, and certain islands, like Isla Muerta, will feature sand brushes to help you create those lush beach-front dinosaur resorts you've always dreamed of!

As these materials are used as the base for the islands themselves, we had to put in some work to pull them out for the brush system to use. Some core framework changes were needed to ensure that we maintained performance and save game size. However, we wanted to expand the existing available terrain, and give park creators the freedom we’ve had in creating these islands.

These new terrain brushes will complement the existing grass option – no research unlocks necessary! We've also added a toggle option to show elevation contour lines.

Shrub Tools

New shrub brushes will be available with Update 1.8. These will give you the option to place all the different shrub types from each island in any park you like. Want to add Isla Pena shrubs on Isla Muerta? Go for it! We’re also adding a new vibrant shrub type to allow even more creative freedom with the vegetation in your parks!

The different shrubs types were originally envisaged as part of the differentiation between the different islands, but we wanted to progress that so they could be used on all the islands; as with the painting we needed to ensure that occurred without increasing memory or save game size, and without impacting performance.

You’ll find these new shrubs right next to the existing tree and shrubs, from the moment after you install the update. They’ll work out of the box with the new terrain brushes as well, helping you create the perfect Capture Mode shot!

Natural Scenery Items

With Update 1.8 you'll be given the tools to add new scenery items to the game! These new scenery items, including individual rocks and trees, can be placed around your parks so you can craft fantastic new layouts to your enclosures. These will be natural scenery items so that they will fit thematically in your enclosures.

For this release, we’ve added a selection of five different trees, and six unique rocks and rock formations. One of the new trees is wide and low, perfect shade for dinosaurs to shelter under; meanwhile we’ve also provided some tall leafy palms, great for lining pools and ponds with. These singular trees will also provide forest satisfaction for the dinosaurs. For the rocks, we’ve aimed to provide an assortment of shapes and sizes – making it easier to break up your enclosures and wind your park paths around.

All the new items are exceptionally photogenic, and should be snapped alongside your prehistoric residents to really get the most out of them! They can be found in the new Scenery tab, with the same placement and rotation controls as other buildings in the game.

These are most of the terrain and scenery improvements coming in Update 1.8 this summer. We'll be sharing more details with you in an upcoming Feature Focus next week!
Will Isla Nublar have all of the cosmetic items available or will it have its own specific cosmetics? We really are hoping since it’s a sandbox it’ll have all.

if anybody hasn't noticed I noticed that there's a giant rock behind that tree line? Frontier has always been the one to tease it's consumers fun stuff that's going to be popular in the game and I love the fact that they're teasing something for next week behind this picture.😘

Phase 1:
JURASSIC world Evolution Launch-June 12, 2018
Fallen Kingdom DLC
Patch 1.4
Challenge Mode Addition
Patch 1.4.5
Patch 1.5

Phase 2:
SECRETS of DR. WU DLC
Patch 1.6
Cretaceous Pack DLC
Patch 1.6.1
Patch 1.6.2 Stegosaurus Vivid Skin
Patch 1.7
Carnivore Pack DLC
Patch 1.7.2
Patch 1.8 in Three weeks! Maybe around-June 12, 2019
Possible Unknown Pack DLC?

Phase 3: Predictions
Maybe Major Clare Dearing DLC on July 21, 2019 or In November
Patch 1.9
Patch 2.0

Last edited:
Looks promising, lets hope we also get a bigger sandbox island, more sandbox options like instant incubation, also more decoration options would be nice. Some jurassic park themed buildings also nice. And maybe let us use the existing islands as sandbox islands. A lot of us just love to build our dreamparks so that is why on the top of my list is a bigger sandbox island.

Btw. A sandbox mode should have everything unlocked, we shouldnt have to do challenges to unlock skins etc. Not everyone is into challenges so for sandbox it should not be needed. Just take a good look at your Planet Coaster game as example where we have a true sandbox with everything unlocked and free to build and play as we want.

Last edited:
This is so great, but, what could make it perfect, is that in sandbox you could use ALL the terrain brushes, i get why in the other islands must keep the uniqueness, but in Nublar, the sandbox, the player should be able to use all what the game has to offer, i hope you guys who have made an awesome you reconsider that before the update get released, cheers!

finally.... in the end after one year we got some sort of base terrains editing, good job Frontier

all of this should be in the game at release? Yes

but at least now we can do a base terrains editing ( really hope ( IT IS A MUST) in future you will expand this aspect whit new brushes and new natural item trees rock log ecc)

the only thing i not understand and not accept is why on nublar sandbox we will not have sand.... only rock and mud ( they have said it on reddit) ok for the other islands but the sandbox MUST have all.

beside all a good job thanks

You are looking wrong. In sandbox will must be all islands, not one with all of it. And unique islands looks as great idea. Everytime it was. I'm absolutely fine with sand brush only on Muerta's map, how offten you see sand hills in middle green forest? But it must be abbility do sandbox mode in this locatiation too...

It is not a feature that excites me but I know it is very popular and adds variety to the parks. It is a great addition.

I hope that the other two characteristics deal with new buildings and a more complex management of the park, is something that the game urgently needs.

Anyway you are doing a great job and I congratulate the development team. Thanks.

Top Bottom