Feature Focus: Weather Calamities

Jens Erik

Senior Community Manager
Frontier
Welcome back, Park Managers!

We are back with a new Jurassic World Evolution 2 Feature Focus. Previously, we talked about the different environments you'll be discovering and exploring while building your parks and facilities. This week we're staying in the game's environments to discuss one of the challenges you'll be facing: weather calamities.

Jurassic World Evolution 2 lets you build parks and facilities across a wide range of environments, all of which have their unique wather calamities for you to contend with. These calamities will introduce an additional layer of challenge by impeding your progress in different ways, from sabotaging your power output, to slowing down your vehicles or upsetting your dinosaurs.

You'll be faced with weather calamities across all modes, but you can turn them off in Sandbox Mode if you so choose. Shall we take a closer look at what types of weather calamities you'll be dealing with in Jurassic World Evolution 2?

Sandstorms
Managing a park in the desert? You'll need to keep an eye out for sandstorms - literally! This calamity will obscure visibility throughout your park, so Ranger Scans of dinosaurs and reptiles will be cleared, requiring them to rescan, and guest visibility cones will be reduced, limiting what they're able to view. The poor visibility won't be the only issue you'll have to contend with, though - the high wind speeds will wreak havoc across your park. You'll notice equipment failures - land vehicles will be subject to engine failure, and power stations will periodically lose power - as well as damage to buildings, which will require repairing from a Ranger Team. You're also going to want to keep an eye on your dinosaurs during a sandstorm, as those brutal conditions also mean that diseases have a much higher chance of spreading.

Try not to fret too much, though - there are some things you can do to prepare for this particular calamity; placing shelters around your park will ensure guests are able to flee the oncoming storm, and utilising back up generators should help to diminish too many nasty side-effects from a lack of power! You can also utilise storm damage upgrades to help protect some of your buildings.

JWE2_Calamities_960x540.jpg

Snow Storms
A feature you can expect from taiga and alpine-based parks, snow storms do have some similarities to sandstorms, in terms of negatively impacting visibility - they'll also clear ranger scans and reduce guest visibility, but will have the additional caveat of stopping your dinosaurs from appearing on the map UI - so you'll still be able to see them in their enclosures, but not their location in the wider park! This is particularly concerning due to the fact that your dinosaurs are more likely to be injured by conditions like frostbite during a snow storm, and ground vehicles are significantly slowed down, so it may take your MVUs (Mobile Veterinary Units) slightly longer to help them; definitely something to consider when a snow storm is on the approach!

Similarly to sandstorms, though, you will be able to put some contingencies in place to protect your park & guests from this particular calamity - having shelters in place for your guests will help considerably once visibility becomes an issue, but you'll also want to be keeping a very close eye on your enclosures once to snow rolls in, so you can deploy MVUs and Rangers at the first sign of trouble.

Tornadoes
You'll be familiar with tornadoes from the first game, and if you're playing a temperate map, they're something you'll want to keep an eye out for! This calamity is a damaging twister which will sweep around your park, leaving destruction in its wake. Buildings and vehicles too close to the centre of the tornado will likely endure some considerable damage, as will any fences or pylons which come into contact with it. They'll all need repairing, so your Rangers are going to be very busy in the aftermath! Your dinosaurs won't enjoy this particular calamity, either, fleeing and becoming quickly agitated, so you'll need to keep an eye out for both injuries and escapes.

Between the likely damage to structures and the agitated dinosaurs, you're definitely going to want to make sure you have a shelter in place for your guests to flee to when a tornado approaches - and don't forget to use the storm defence upgrade where possible to protect your buildings from storm damage!

JWE2_Screenshot_Tornado_960x540.jpg

Hurricane
A feature of the tropical levels available in Jurassic World Evolution 2, hurricanes cause periodic damage to buildings, fences and pylons as they descend upon your park, and are also likely to cause damage to vehicles - so the Rangers you deploy to repair the damage are in for a treat! Luckily, your dinosaurs won't be impacted too much by this particular calamity, so as long as you've got a shelter in place for your guests, and a ranger team on-hand to mend any damage caused, you should be able to manage when a tropical storm hits!

We hope you've enjoyed this closer look into what you can expect from the new weather calamities you'll be challenged with in Jurassic World Evolution 2, and that you're feeling even more prepared to handle them; as long as you've got plenty of provisions in place before they get to you, we think you'll be more than up to the challenge!

Don't forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for all things Jurassic World Evolution 2, which comes to PC, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on 9 November. You can pre-order now to get access to a set of vehicle skins inspired by The Lost World: Jurassic Park for use in Sandbox and Challenge Mode.

For snowstorms, it would be cool if heaters were an option to help prevent too much snow from accumulating in habitats and minimizing the possibility of frostbite. Something like is in place with Planet Zoo where the heater has a specific radius.

Love the variety of weather for each biome, very well thought out :)

A question about sandbox mode wheater. In JWE 1, when you select a kind of weather, you have only that( if you select soft weather, you only have soft weather, not rain. If you select strong storms, you only see strong storms). My question is in JW2 if you select, for example soft storms, you can can have sun, rain and soft storms, or we are going to see only soft storms?

Last edited:
Whats up with the Hurricanes? They seemed to explain a lot more about the other kinds of weather, and so far it seems the least destructive. WHAT ARE YOU HIDING

I think the only difference is graphically between each disaster. Solutions are the same as well. For desert biomes there should be heatstroke or something and the solution is hydration for example. Then as some have mentioned for taiga and alpine heaters could be added.. And on the subject of damage, shouldn't it kill dinosaurs once it hits them? Like outright kill. The solution would be dino shelters as well.. Same like the guests there should be deaths when disasters hit. 🤔

I have a question for the developers whether the predators will hunt when they are hungry or will they kill herbivores when they invade their territories. And will it be possible to recreate Isla Sorna as a wild island with free dinosaurs in sandbox mode ?

SANDBOX WEATHER CONTROL SETTINGS

1. STORM INCOMING TIME SETING: this setting is for more control over Weather in sandbox on when it happens.
10 Minutes, 15 Minutes, 20 Minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours, 6 hours, 12 hour's, 24 hour's.

2. STORMS LAST FOREVER: This Setting you can choose how long the storm's last in sandbox.
7 minutes, 15 Minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours.

3. LONG LASTING RAIN SETTINGS: if you don't want Storm's fine how about Rain and more control over how long it lasts in sandbox.
10 minutes, 15 Minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours, 6 hours, 12 hour's, 24 hour's.

4. WHEN THE RAIN COMING: this setting is for when the next rain comes to your sandbox park.
10 minutes, 15 Minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours, 6 hours, 12 hour's, 24 hour's.

This is my wishlist on more control over storms and weather in JWE2. Please Frontier Developers make my wish come true!👍

1+ if you want these settings in Sandbox 🙂

Another big win for the game, calamities really add some spice to the gameplay.

I love the sandstorms and especially the snow storms. Weather impacting the vehicles more and even messing with the map UI sounds familiar to something I suggested before with gene manipulations. The visual flare of the snow storms is also quite something, it radically changes how the environment looks providing that nice mixing up of visuals that really could strain the eyes at times in the first game.

I am little disappointed that the tornadoes don't appear to have the ability to harm the guests or dinosaurs in any way. Can't really see why not, there are no children in the game and dinos have graphic kill animations for guests never mind all the heinous ways the dinosaurs themselves can suffer injury or death. Would make these just a little more terrifying if casualties were a thing.

However, unless there is something special about Hurricanes, it really looks like its just the Tropical Storms we had in the first game as well. That being the case, I think we had a real missed opportunity with including Heat Waves. It would spice up the Tropical biome gameplay, and could also be shared with the Desert and Temperate biomes just so you aren't constantly fearing one single weather event. Would love to see the inclusion of a Heat Wave in a DLC.

Things are moving to make Jurassic World Evolution 2 a game to be played for years to come.

I think the only difference is graphically between each disaster. Solutions are the same as well. For desert biomes there should be heatstroke or something and the solution is hydration for example. Then as some have mentioned for taiga and alpine heaters could be added.. And on the subject of damage, shouldn't it kill dinosaurs once it hits them? Like outright kill. The solution would be dino shelters as well.. Same like the guests there should be deaths when disasters hit. 🤔

Nailed it.

Each disaster should have a different sort of response mechanism. Snow storms can inflict frost bite, so why not sandstorms creating a head stroke risk. However, its more of a matter of how to do this. Right now it seems like its just another medical research and deploying of the MVU. Hydration makes a lot of sense, but how do we increase hydration, if its simply just using the water tool to add more to an enclosure, we really haven't added anything more. Curious if you have some ideas.

Not sure if I agree with pure heaters though, must be some way we accomplish the same result without making this more directly like a typical zoo tycoon. A shelter requirement makes the most sense here. For that matter, maybe shade is an important factor for evading heat stroke rather than simply hydration or letting the dinosaurs bear with the harsh conditions.

Sadly, I don't see how this can impact guests too much without individualized guest functionality. Should be a big problem for PC and the new consoles, but if this game is still going to run on PS4/Xbox One X|S we are going to face a CPU bottleneck pretty quick.

I imagine the challenge during a Hurricane could be the widespread nature of damage that needs fixing, and what the dinosaurs do when the power goes out. A tornado is focused high-damage: it obliterates a fence and severely damaged buildings in its path. Hurricanes leave fences/gates intact but put moderate damage on most buildings across the park and probably break your transmission wires for power. In the end you’re still scrambling because you have to prioritize strategically when everything breaks at once.

I imagine the challenge during a Hurricane could be the widespread nature of damage that needs fixing, and what the dinosaurs do when the power goes out. A tornado is focused high-damage: it obliterates a fence and severely damaged buildings in its path. Hurricanes leave fences/gates intact but put moderate damage on most buildings across the park and probably break your transmission wires for power. In the end you’re still scrambling because you have to prioritize strategically when everything breaks at once.

I hope you are correct and Hurricanes aren't just a repurposed Tropical Storm from the first game. Those did next to nothing, the damage was very minimal and it was too slow to really cause much harm. Now, if it is a much more widespread calamity assailing areas all over the park, it has potential. Even then, however, I still think Heat Waves would be a neat idea to bring forward, variety is as important as one neat disaster scenario.

I am little disappointed that the tornadoes don't appear to have the ability to harm the guests or dinosaurs in any way. Can't really see why not, there are no children in the game and dinos have graphic kill animations for guests never mind all the heinous ways the dinosaurs themselves can suffer injury or death. Would make these just a little more terrifying if casualties were a thing.
I think the "harmlessness" of the tornados was chosen as a way to reduce the likelihood of "massive player frustration" than what may already present, especially when it comes to Challenge mode. As a veteran who's played Jurassic difficulty in JWE1 for hours myself, one must realize how much money dinos cost combined with everything else all together, and how much money at a given time you actually have and/or generate. Campaign in JWE1 is a little different than Challenge, but still. In JWE1, twisters always spawn next or in areas that have been built on, and one can assume it'll be the same here.

Last edited:
I think the "harmlessness" of the tornados was chosen as a way to reduce the likelihood of "massive player frustration" than what may already present, especially when it comes to Challenge mode. As a veteran who's played Jurassic difficulty in JWE1 for hours myself, one must realize how much money dinos cost combined with everything else all together, and how much money at a given time you actually have and/or generate. Campaign in JWE1 is a little different than Challenge, but still. In JWE1, twisters always spawn next or in areas that have been built on, and one can assume it'll be the same here.

I would think the tornadoes being deadly would actually accomplish two things:

1) You will absolutely not take guest shelters for granted
2) Frequency of calamities can be reduced given their impact

Making a comparison between the two games might not be so apt given JWE2 appears to have a different economy. For Challenge Mode on Jurassic difficulty, it would certainly be truly devastating, but I would also imagine it would be quite rare. We are seeing tweaks to Challenge Mode to set it more apart and the reliance on tornadoes is likely greatly diminished as new mechanics can be used more often. We also have a lot more species now many of which are smaller animals which may help offset the imbalance that existed to artificially inflate the difficulty of challenge mode.

I think there is also some longevity and durability for Jurassic difficulty settings where the threat of tornadoes is greater, it will keep you engaged longer, sort of keeping tornadoes as the worst thing that can be thrown at you. Might just be a difference of opinion, but I think we have plenty of mitigating factors where tornadoes can be impactful without absolutely wiping you out on Jurassic difficulty. There are also more tools and management options that can help you this time around, so I would say its worth giving it a go.

I never had a problem with the tornadoes in the first game. I think I dealt with one tornado once and I said no way is that happening again. So when I got on an island with the possibility of them happening I would save often and I mean often. Like every 5-10 minutes. Then if one started I would just load up a past save and go on from there.

They were very annoying. So I just found a way around them. It's like a dice roll or random number generator if they have happen or not. Unless it's a story event you can actually just stop them from happening if you don't mind losing a few minutes of gameplay.

Keep in mind that now fences cant be built instantly, so tornadoes are going to cause a lot more chaos than when you could just instantly delete and rebuild the destroyed fence

Top Bottom