Featured Commanders Featured Commanders: CMDR Ascorbius

Paige Harvey

Community Manager
Hello Commanders, and welcome to the fourth Featured Commanders thread of 2019! This week we’re speaking to Commander and animator CMDR Ascorbius, who has created a fantastic bunch of videos set in the Elite Dangerous universe.

maxresdefault.jpg

Hello, Commander Ascorbius! It’s great to be talking to you and congratulations on achieving your first Elite rank last week! So tell us, how and when did you find out about Elite Dangerous?
I first found out about Elite Dangerous in the summer of 2016 after being shown it by a friend. I was visiting his house and he showed me this amazing space game. I had a quick fly around and I really enjoyed it - which is odd because I normally don't get on with the flight mechanics of space games, but Elite felt great. Soon after I got the game, we all played together - mining, bounty hunting. It was possibly the fact that we could all play together which got me initially hooked. That, and it looks amazing.

Woah, so nearly three years ago! What got you hooked on the game?
I was initially hooked on the size and realism of the game, with its 1/1 scale galaxy, but the thing that completely hooked me was playing in VR. Playing in VR changed everything.

And what’s your favourite ship?
My favourite ship is the Type 9, it’s massive and the bridge feels like something out of the movies, proper sci-fi. In VR the sense of scale is epic and once you get past how she handles, you can really do a lot. We did a low altitude canyon race with Type 9s last year at Pomeche 2c and managed to raise over £1800 for Cancer Research. Best ship in the game.

That’s absolutely incredible, and how lovely of you to help raise money for Cancer Research! So how long have you been creating content around Elite Dangerous?
Since August 2016, pretty soon after I started playing. It had such storytelling potential, such a vast and rich game with so much lore and possibility. This has only improved over time, to be honest, I'm having a hard time keeping up.

What’s your favourite piece of content you’ve created around Elite Dangerous?
The Scientific Method. You can check it out here: https://youtu.be/JhG1ejbpmsc

If you could give one piece of advice to every Commander, what would it be?
Don't give up and don't rush, it's a big game, there's plenty to do, enjoy it!

Are there any other content creators you’d like to give a shout out to?
I’d like to shout out Mach1ne, Turjan Starstone and Spatula007. I'd also like to shout out to my friends on the Mostly Aimless discord, they're always there for me and help each-other through difficult times. In fact, the community in general around Elite Dangerous is amazing. I've never seen so many wonderful people come together around a single game before. Also, to CMDR Plater, who's going through the most difficult time of his life and is facing it with such strength and bravery he's an inspiration. Hail the Ploid!

Do you have any cool projects on the horizon you’d like to tell us about?
Always! My ongoing story continues, but I'm excited by the El Scorbius project which will see more videos created and released this year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paulTFwhzsU&list=PL4tZdvex5An2FujwqC-wEBOVSsQtsWYJI

Where can people find you online?
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/commander_ascorbius
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/cmdrascorbius

Thank you CMDR Ascorbius, and we can’t wait to see what you’ll create next! If you’d like to be interviewed as a Featured Commander, apply here: https://goo.gl/forms/yvgC2QXaECxZdq1r1

Scorb is a cool guy and he's totally right about "Don't rush".

Also, the work he's doing on his videos is truly amazing. Keep up the good work !

The galaxy's favourite muppet! :D

Oh, and I'd never be forgiven if I didn't also add #blameascorbius - for encouraging me to up my own game by adding ever more technical fiddly bits to my videos!

Just keep on doing what you're doing, Scorb, and... fly aimless (sorry, just had to steal that line there ;) )

Been a subscriber since the one where you found a little man making all the sound effects on the ship!
Congratulations on the interview Scorb! And thanks for being an encouraging person in my life.

You see those characters walking in the ship and talking with detailed facial animations. That's what a lot of people want in-game.

Last edited:
Ascorbius who? .... :) Sorry I couldnt resist. Scorb is a great content creator, professional muppet and good friend. But .... beware his alter ego...El Scorbius ... ;) And I have to echo his sentiments about the folks on the Mostly Aimless Discord as well, proud to have them all as friends.

Ascorbius? Don't you mean ScorbyPoo? I couldn't resist sorry Scorbs...

his fine chap along with Turjan Starstone got me into making Elite Dangerous story based videos, I owe it all to these guys...the late nights, the steep learning curve and the low bank balance from buying all the tools and assets needed to put an episode together....yeah I owe it all to those guys!
He is a cool, funny and kind guy...He even put me up for a few nights when I pooped down south to see him...
Top man! Keep them videos coming....

Top Bottom