Featured Commanders Featured Commanders: The Fatherhood

Paige Harvey

Community Manager
Welcome to the seventh Featured Commanders thread of 2019! This week we’re speaking to one of Elite Dangerous’ largest player groups, full of Commanders running on too little sleep, and too much caffeine!

Say hello to The Fatherhood!

IG%20photoTF.png

Hey guys! How long has your group existed?
The Fatherhood has existed for just under 2 years so far.

Why did The Fatherhood come into being, and why?
I (CMDR TK) was sat on my sofa late at night playing Elite Dangerous, after my one year old son had finally gone to sleep, and I wondered how many other families were in the same position as me - only playing when their work and families allow.

I decided to form a group and see if I could find some Commanders in the same boat and hopefully get some of them together. To my surprise it grew way beyond anything I could have imagined!
It’s now become a home for any Commander who can't fly all day, every day, or just struggles for game time - anyone from parents to people with busy jobs that involve working long shifts or travelling, etc.

And roughly how many Commanders are in The Fatherhood at the minute?
At the time of writing, we have 965 Commanders in our group!

Where are the majority of your Commanders based, and in which time zone are you most active?
We have Commanders available in nearly all time zones, but the three most active are UK, USA and AUS/NZ time zones.

Because of that, what are the main languages spoken in your group?
English mainly, but we also have Dutch, French, German and Korean speakers.

So, what can people expect from The Fatherhood? What kind of activities do you take part in?
We try to take part in all aspects of the Elite Dangerous galaxy, especially community events, and we have quite a lot of explorers too. As a group we don't actively seek to engage in PVP - we tend to prefer player interaction and camaraderie rather than conflict, although we do take part in organised PVP tournaments. One of primary rules is to have fun.

Does you have a motto?
When the kids go to bed, we go to space.

Does The Fatherhood have a home system?
Yes! We’re based in the Hajangai system.

What’s the coolest thing that your group has achieved?
I would say it would have to be the Enigma Expedition - a large number of us took part in that and it was an amazing experience for a great cause, and the community pulled together in an incredible way. It was great to link up with other pilots and groups on the way, and at the end for the group pictures.

If you could give one piece of advice to every Commander, what would it be?
Don't be afraid to seek out a group and join - it has enriched our Elite Dangerous experience and we’ve made some amazing friends.

Are there any other Squadrons/Player Groups you want to give a shout out to?
Yes - Interplanetary Explorations (IPX) led by the lovely Allcrowsareblack, and our good neighbours Iridium Wing, The Azgharie and the Order of Emblackenment. Also everyone involved in organising Distant Worlds 2!

Do you have any events or activities on the horizon you’d like to share?
We hosted the Lost Souls exploration event last year, and will be running a sequel in the summer of 2019! We also have a fun event called Keelback Awareness Week coming soon...

That’s awesome, we can’t wait to hear more about it! Commanders can locate your group in game, but do you have a subreddit, website, twitter account?
Check out our website here!
We’re also active on Twitter.

Thank you The Fatherhood for taking the time to speak to us!

Reader, if you’d like to be interviewed as our Featured Commander, apply here!

Thanks for the shout-out TK! We over at IPX love you and your lot and will always be on hand to help! o7
Congratulations on creating one of the most amazing and positive player groups in the game!

An amazing friendly wing made up of a diverse membership, a big thanks to tk for making it possible for all us father's and grandfather's to fly together.

Top Bottom