Featured Creator: Doofer911

Edward Lewis1

Frontier
Every month we put four amazing Planet Coaster creators in the spotlight; each Featured Creator will have one week dedicated to them, their amazing Workshop, and other wonderful contributions to our community. This month we are talking to Doofer911, GalcianBTH, Flaero, and Zak(man), who can also be found on the Planet Coaster globe!
Let’s meet:

Doofer911!

Workshop Link: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Doofer911/myworkshopfiles/
Channel Link: https://go.twitch.tv/doofer911

How did you get started with Planet Coaster?
I first discovered Planet Coaster after seeing YouTuber NerdCubed feature the game in a video during its Early Access phase. I've always been a fan of theme park tycoon games, lost many hours to RollerCoaster Tycoon when I was younger, and was really happy to see a modern interpretation of that style of game. The thing that really captivated me at first was the freedom players had to build in a 3D environment; you weren't limited by a grid system like the classic games which I really liked! Then I watched some of the very early livestreams Bo and Ed did, fell in love with the game and pre-ordered the Thrillseeker Edition!

What makes you and your creations stand out?
Me personally....nothing! As for my creations.... not much either! I definitely don't have the talent and skill that fellow creators have. That said, if I do have a defining style it's that I like to build creatures and statues using only rocks, it's not something I've seen many others doing.

What is your favourite feature in the game?
I really like the rollercoaster building tools, they offer so much potential! You've got the option to use angle snapping to get some very precise climbs, drops and turns...or you can turn it off and go wild! Then you have the preset pieces like loops and twists to quickly add complex elements to the coaster. The editing and smoothing options to help take out any jerky transitions really help as well. Fantastic and powerful tool.

What is your favourite creation/video you've ever created (so far)?
Gosh.... that's a tough one for me. I'm not a particularly active creator and I don't consider myself good compared to the other Featured Creators. That said, I am proud of most of the creations I've published for different reasons. I quite like one of my more recent uploads which was a large wooden gate. It's the most intricate build I've done and I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

How do you feel about being part of the Planet Coaster community?
I love the Planet Coaster community. It is THE MOST genuine, positive, kindest and supportive gaming communities I've ever seen. I'm saying that as a grizzly, battle-hardened First Person Shooter veteran where you get called all sorts! I'm also honoured to be a Featured Creator, I'm surprised the selection of blueprints I sent to Bo in the first place was considered good enough to earn a spot as Featured Creator!
(ed. We also feature streamers sometimes, silly Doofer <3)

Tell us a little about yourself, what you study/work/do in real life?
Right now I'm attempting a career change. I'm quite far into a selection process to become a Trainee Air Traffic Controller! I have had a huge passion for Aviation for as long as I can remember and becoming a Pilot or Controller wasn't an option when I was younger but I've got a chance now so I'm giving it all I've got to make it happen! I've also been exploring my passion for Aviation on my YouTube channel for a few years by learning to fly in a flight simulator and making tutorial videos about it.

If you were to dress up as a Planet Coaster mascot, which one would it be?
Oh Tiki for sure! I love how he's a bit crazy and just goes around dancing all the time. Wish I had the confidence to act like that sometimes!

What inspires you?
A lot of different things. Films, TV shows, artwork and places I've travelled.

Tell us a little about your creative process – how long do your creations take, do you listen to music or work for hours and hours until something is perfect?
Normally if I'm trying to build something complex I'll grab some reference pictures online so I have a good idea what I'm trying to recreate in game. Then just put some music or a podcast on and fall into a "zone" and slowly start putting something together and not finish until I can honestly say "That's as good as I can make it". My stone statues tend to take somewhere between 10-20 hours spread over a couple of weeks. Rollercoasters are normally about 1 or 2 hours to build but I'm no good at "dressing them up" with compelling scenery so that's probably another 10-20 hours spread over a month. I'm also working on a big project just now inspired by a well known TV show which I want to try and get ready in the next couple of months. Winter's coming isn't it?

Pass on the praise: which creator do YOU admire?
I can't choose one! All the creators are incredible in their own unique ways so I'm going to go off script and say I admire and am grateful to the creators of the game, Frontier Developments! You guys have created the ultimate theme park sandbox which allows everyone to explore their creativity in new and innovative ways and fostered the best community ever so kudos to you guys!

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
Thanks for the interview, Doofer911! Nice read, and some good advice, too! :)

Top Bottom