Fed Rank progression slowing down by 50% - why?

Hi all,

I'm out at Ceos/Sothis doing the grind for a Corvette. I'm Elite ranked explorer and only broker trader, and so I found that the passenger missions to Sirius Atmospherics were more lucrative than running data/cargo trade between stations - going from Lieutenant Commander and Post Commander, it was an average 6% every 10 minutes with the Passengers vs 11% every 40 mins doing the trades!

However, this afternoon my average rank gain from passenger missions has gone down to 3% (still between the same ranks). Any idea what might have caused the drop?

I have one theory but not sure if I'm right. For two missions running I got scanned (got complacent!), meaning I lost the missions and got fines (illegal passengers). Then a red downward arrow appeared next to my Fed rep bar. Since then, it was 3% as opposed to the 6% gains I was getting.

Does having that red arrow do something to your rank gains (i.e. half it), and thus would turning it back to a nice blue arrow get me my good gains back? Is it some sort of multiplier?

Do you have a crew member? I know that if you have one when in combat your XP per kill is shared with them, so it takes longer to rank up. Way to put people off using crew members FDEV!

Last edited:
Do you have a crew member? I know that if you have one when in combat your XP per kill is shared with them, so it takes longer to rank up. Way to put people off using crew members FDEV!

It's also very strange since for credits they did the exact opposite, bounties get duplicated for crew members, but XP isn't.

Far as i know that's just combat rank and credits they leach.

As s to the OP, several minor factions in Sothis/Ceos went from Boom to expansion so that may have changed mission rewards

basically, you need more "points" for each rank, and it ramps up quite fast. So expect to this trend to continue.... Just like it takes ALOT more effort to go from Deadly to Elite, compared to Dangerous to Deadly when talking about combat rank.

rep+++++ as reward gives you best progress

deliver the mission to a federation faction gives better progress, compared to delivering to non federation faction.

All small things that can huge impact on the progress.

Thanks for all the replies

basically, you need more "points" for each rank, and it ramps up quite fast. So expect to this trend to continue.... Just like it takes ALOT more effort to go from Deadly to Elite, compared to Dangerous to Deadly when talking about combat rank.

rep+++++ as reward gives you best progress

deliver the mission to a federation faction gives better progress, compared to delivering to non federation faction.

All small things that can huge impact on the progress.
But this is happening within the same ranking - Lt. Cmdr to Post Cmdr. I was getting 6% per run up until I was on about 65%, which was around the time when I had the two mishaps and got the red arrow appear against my Fed status. It's changed back to blue now so I'll see if that has an effect - might just be the sudden change in factions as others have suggested.

Hi all,

I'm out at Ceos/Sothis doing the grind for a Corvette. I'm Elite ranked explorer and only broker trader, and so I found that the passenger missions to Sirius Atmospherics were more lucrative than running data/cargo trade between stations - going from Lieutenant Commander and Post Commander, it was an average 6% every 10 minutes with the Passengers vs 11% every 40 mins doing the trades!

However, this afternoon my average rank gain from passenger missions has gone down to 3% (still between the same ranks). Any idea what might have caused the drop?

I have one theory but not sure if I'm right. For two missions running I got scanned (got complacent!), meaning I lost the missions and got fines (illegal passengers). Then a red downward arrow appeared next to my Fed rep bar. Since then, it was 3% as opposed to the 6% gains I was getting.

Does having that red arrow do something to your rank gains (i.e. half it), and thus would turning it back to a nice blue arrow get me my good gains back? Is it some sort of multiplier?

It's because I finally made Admirial, after four years, and Frontier is plugging the hole...

sollisb

Banned
Doing the same missions... Yes it's random from what I can see. I was getting 4-6% per run for exploration and then yesterday afternoon it suddenly went to 1% if not 0% for some runs. I think they're messing on the live server too. On the good side; I'm up nearly a billion so far, so every coat has a silver/golden lining :) :)

Rank progress isn't linear. You don't get the same percentage for the same mission at different ranks. I can't remember the exact figures I recorded, but the number of missions to complete each rank goes up by something like 30% to 50% with each promotion.

It's the same with all ranks, the further up you go, the more you have to do to get the next rank.

It's because I finally made Admirial, after four years, and Frontier is plugging the hole...

Good grief, that's an eternity!

Making rank is not all that hard, really. I've had both the Corvette and the Cutter for longer than I care to remember... though I do recall making Admiral and unlocking the Corvette... it was back when missions would auto-fail as soon as they were accepted. I remember this because my first Promotion mission for Admiral auto-failed, and it was the one time I did use board-flipping - to get that particular mission and not have it auto-fail.

But if you're looking to make rank, you really need to look no further than the permit locked Power Home Systems - Sol is all Federation, thus all missions are gaining Federation rank.Complete the mission, gain the rank. No problem finding 20 at a time between all the stations there. Same with the Empire, though I did my Imperial Ranking in Achenar. Just don't look at your progress every mission. Ever hear the expression "A watched pot never boils?" here's another: "A watched rank never increases."

Hi all,

Know that for each RANK you advance, the number of missions that will need to be completed in order to advance to the next RANK will approximately double.

Yes, as you rank up, more rank is required to get to the next one. Also the target faction does make a huge difference, if its to another fed faction you get more.

Also don't stress, compared to how it used to be you're blushing over a casual weekend or two rather than a month or more it took if you wanted to keep your sanity. People tried, it was possible to do it in 2 weeks, but every single time the person damaged themselves. They were that dead from the experience they had nothing left to even complain.

Think of rep as daily missions in other games, but frontier were coding dinosaurs for 2.8% of their playerbase and forgot to code in the daily cap. You have to use self control.

Know that for each RANK you advance, the number of missions that will need to be completed in order to advance to the next RANK will approximately double.
Of course, but I repeat: this halving in percentage gain happened in the same rank stage (Lt. Cmdr to Post Cmdr).

With the Sirius Atmospheric passenger stacks you invariably will get the same 6-8 missions: a +++++, a couple of ++++, a couple of +++ and some ++ to pick from, so I don't think it's anything to do with mission availability, either.

A 50% drop on average isn't insignificant so I reckon that red arrow must have something to do with it, acting as some sort of multiplier or divider of reputation gained; upset the Feds as I did and your rep gain is halved; get it back to the blue arrow and you'll get rep gain back to normal.

My arrow is blue again now after a few more rounds so I'll see if that's what it was! It will be interesting to know.

Last edited:
As you get allied with minor factions doesn't your rank earning rate drop? Or something like that. If so then find a virgin system to run missions from.

Doing the same missions... Yes it's random from what I can see. I was getting 4-6% per run for exploration and then yesterday afternoon it suddenly went to 1% if not 0% for some runs. I think they're messing on the live server too. On the good side; I'm up nearly a billion so far, so every coat has a silver/golden lining :) :)
Well, I figured it out and it's so obvious I feel a little stupid...

Basically, every faction in Ceos bar one has now become independent, and a couple are at war - must have happened some time on Monday when you and I noticed the drop. So, only about 2/9 of those passenger missions I was rinsing were actually returning Federal Rep! No wonder my gains had dropped from 6% to 2%.

So, as someone who has paid very little attention to this game feature until now - how do I help restore Federal factions to Ceos? I'm guessing I should join the war there?!

i finished the grind on both my accounts taking them both up to Admiral / King with both factions.

i used Ceos / Sothis for the fed rep doing data delivery missions only with the fed faction at the station i had to board flip occasionally. i only picked missions that gave +++ rep or better as rewards.

tbh it took longer to get the navy rank up missions to pop than to actually level up the ranks..

Rear Admiral to Admiral took me a couple of hours (could have done it quicker, but on quite a few of the rewards i was picking data/materials and ++ rep, rather than the straight +++).

Doing the same thing with Imp rep took me from Serf to King in 4 Hours (Mainani/Ngallin)

i used Ceos / Sothis for the fed rep doing data delivery missions only with the fed faction at the station i had to board flip occasionally. i only picked missions that gave +++ rep or better as rewards.
Does board flipping still work? I thought that it had been removed with the implementation of a mission server.

Top Bottom