PvP Federal Corvette Build Advice

I need some outside opinions to settle an argument in my head.

If the link works, this is my ship and what I'll be doing with it. I designate it as a multi role Combat Vessel able to do anything I need it to; including landing and exploring on planets, haul minor amounts of cargo, and mainly fight while still able to have a respectable jump range.

The argument I am having is I am unsure of the combat aspect of my ship. Almost 100% of my time will be alone in a HazRez and even with my ship currently being unfinished engineering wise in the game, I can still look at an Anaconda and kill it before my shields get close to dropping. What I'd like to do is maximize the potential in this vessel seeing as I will be using it almost 100% of the time.

The other part of the argument I am having in my head is I have the wrong plans on how to engineer the shields and armor. Another thing is Module Protection. I have seen ships decimated by shield pen and module destruction before their health got anywhere close to zero.

And one of the other details aside from the ship itself is the hands down best fighter to use with me currently using the Taipan [Gelid F].

I have money to buy just about any module or equipment I need to, and I am only started in engineering in game. Advise would be helpful as to where I should go with this.

Notes: I have disliked using modules in slots not meant for their size. Example: size 5 equipment in a size 6 slot. That is why the Planetary Vehicle Hangar is size 6. However, I won't be too opposed to a complete overhaul of the ship as long as it keeps its multi role functionality I've set it up with like the SRV bay and jump range. Cargo hold can be changed as long as it is not tiny to the point of being completely useless.

Last edited:
The 'Vette is good at multi purpose. Not the best at it, but it can pull it off. You seem to have multi purpose down.

The only thing I would have said, was to make sure you had strong shields and resistances in case you came across another player looking to kill you. And to RUN if that were to happen. Well you got good shields and resistances (for a multi purpose ship) so the only thing left to do is not engage with other players if you're unsure. That's because your 'Vette isn't that good in terms of firepower (or huge on shields in a PvP context) and all your weapons are gimballed which means a single chaff would screw you over.

The thing is, in open, a lot of pilots make combat specific builds. And those builds are engineered for one thing only, to blow you up. So if you were to be flying something not optimised for combat, you'd struggle. So good shields and an exit stratergy would be my advice.

But it's okay for PvE.

Also module protection is quite important, even if you plan to leave before shields drop. And if your shields did drop and you want to run, your FSD is weaker due to its longer jump range. Pilots would disable it (so easy to do on the big ships) and you'd be in a bad spot.

Also you might want to consider swapping one hull out for an AFMU, these are great for extended exploring. You never expect to take module damage but while you're out there unexpected things can happen. For example, if you use a nuetron star, you'll be able to repair the FSD afterwards.

Last edited:
For HazRez you need stamina, and glacial regeneration of Prismatic Shields and low ammo of Shock Cannons don't give you much of that. That build would be fine for assassination missions and such, but usually you hang around a bit longer and rack up the kill count on the rez sites. Also, some module protection is indeed recommended even if you don't intend to ever lose your shields.

So, my question is if somebody is willing. How would you build and Engineer this ship? IF I can get a Coriolis link to see everything, it'd help.

I changed your weapons (Vette can go fixed, otherwise use gimballed beams), utility weaps in the c2 and c3.
Your shield booster setup got two heavy duty super caps and a thermal resist.
Two reinforcements go away for MRPs.
I changed military to lightweight reactive and the small hrp to thermal resist.
Also you want dirties instead of clean drives.

I changed your weapons (Vette can go fixed, otherwise use gimballed beams), utility weaps in the c2 and c3.
Your shield booster setup got two heavy duty super caps and a thermal resist.
Two reinforcements go away for MRPs.
I changed military to lightweight reactive and the small hrp to thermal resist.
Also you want dirties instead of clean drives.

So I've taken a long look at the setup and made just a few more modifications particularly with the Shield Boosters keeping what you changed and changing what you didn't change. I've also moved around my Optional Internal setup.

I do also have concern for the fixed weapons when it comes to small targets and targets at range. Mainly for this, I was wondering about the viability of Cannons over Rail Guns.

As for the turreted weapons, I'm curious what Firing Mode to use.

And Lastly, would you have any opinion on the best ship launched fighter?

Last edited:
When I have my Vette set up for harvesting mats/ NPCs I go with two huge MC's, engineered one with corrosive the other incendiary, all other hard points I run as efficient pulse lasers with differing experimental mods. All gimballed.

I know you said you haven't done much engineering but unlocking at least to G3 is really helpful and will allow you to run the lasers essentially indefinitely. I find it very effective against NPC's and often I don't need to use the MC's much at all which helps with ammo.

As others have said that ship should have no bother escaping almost any PvP encounter but I wouldn't hang about.

Definitely drop the point defense. Your shields are already practically immune to explosive damage.

If you're going to do huge beam lasers, go fixed. The beams and small rails should converge perfectly.

Definitely drop the point defense. Your shields are already practically immune to explosive damage.

If you're going to do huge beam lasers, go fixed. The beams and small rails should converge perfectly.
I personally run my corvette with two PDCs. They are for situations where the shields have dropped. At that point missile spam can mess a ship up quickly.

This is when torpedoes are mixed with limps and hounds ?
The guy's making a PvE multirole ship and he's going to be leaving the instant a hollow triangle appears either way. 99.999% of the time he's not going to see anything that's fitted with a loadout like that, let alone have it used on him. NPCs don't run res cascade unless you're fighting a station or ATR, so the main use for PD is getting shot of hatchbreakers.

On a big chonky ship like a corvette, getting a fighter with point defence will protect the mothership quite handily without sacrificing shields, since a bigger shield is useful in all situations, including missiles, while the PD is useless if your opponents aren't using them.

For some reason, the topic title has a PVP tag
To reply to your question, @Morbad made tests regarding torpedos and point defense if I remember correct, PD isnt' able to shoot down torps fast enough to matter, especially not several torps. They have way more hit points then seekers or pack hounds.

To reply to your question, @Morbad made tests regarding torpedos and point defense if I remember correct, PD isnt' able to shoot down torps fast enough to matter, especially not several torps. They have way more hit points then seekers or pack hounds.
I understood you. Thanks for the answer.
This is very bad news :(
Missile Defence. Automatically tracks and fires upon missiles and torpedoes in range when powered.
— In-Game Description

it turns out that the game description needs to be fixed.

I understood you. Thanks for the answer.
This is very bad news :(
Missile Defence. Automatically tracks and fires upon missiles and torpedoes in range when powered.
— In-Game Description

it turns out that the game description needs to be fixed.

It does fire on them, so that's technically true. Something like 4 PDCs would probably even shoot down individual torps reliably if they approach from the right direction.

It does fire on them, so that's technically true. Something like 4 PDCs would probably even shoot down individual torps reliably if they approach from the right direction.
And not too large hp torpedoes?
If 4 PDT shoot at him and I saw that they shoot like a machine gun.
It is necessary to calculate the speed of the torpedo and the number of hits in it with 4 PDT.

When I played Elite 1, the missiles were a powerful and formidable weapon, but I always managed to press the C key. (if I do not confuse this key in energy bombs)

What has the ECM evolved into Elite Dangerous? Have you seen many people fly with an ECM?

Here in a neighboring topic, the battles of the Elite were compared with the battles of the Second World War.
Have you ever seen torpedoes firing at planes? Even if the planes are big. And as far as I know, torpedoes of World War II were weapons without self-guidance!

Last edited:
Top Bottom