federal corvette jump range

I have mentioned the range before when i wanted a corvette.

since i have managed to buy one. This is when it gets silly.

i bought one in LHS 28 to get 15% discount, but the default equipment and jump range is so low i couldn't jump out of the system in a direction i wanted.

i ended up travelling to the founders world in my asp, buying an anoconda to get a large 6a class SD, i then stored it, ended up selling anoconda, flying back to corvette is my my asp.

i then transferred the newly bought class 6a fed from founders world to LHS 28

all this so i could fly somewhere due to the rubbish range. LHS28 didn't have any better FSDs than what came with it.

just give the corvette 5lys more range please.

i was laughing thinking I've heard the range is poor, but no so bad you cannot get to a destination in the bubble.

The Corvette jump range, is exceptionally poor..........could do with a slight buff.
Very unfortunate that you couldn’t even jump out of the system you bought it in, that’s enough to take the shine off a new ship.

I think this is only major downside of this ship. A-rated Corvette with upgraded FSD is like 17~20 ly, it's poor but this ship is for combat so pick your battlegrounds wisely.

Yep, jump range is an issue.

My vette is fully combat loaded including heavy duty military armor, fully A rated except for life support, and loaded up with HRP's and shield boosters. The FSD is G5 upgraded and I can get her a little over 18ly per jump. Not bad given her loadout, but it would be nicer to have a little more.

She is a wonderful craft to fly when fully upgraded. But if I need to go long distances I usually fly ahead with my Asp which gets closer to 50ly per jump, then transfer the vette. Expensive, but I prefer that to the multiple jumps needed to go long distances. Usually I run a few missions while waiting for the ship to arrive.

Its a real trouble.

But, I knew about how bad the Corvettes jump range is, so I picked mine up from a station that also sells the A class FSD.

I think it was LHS 20, Ohm City. In LYR space, so 15% off. :)

Still, it's jump range is absolutely horrible.

There needs to be a way to balance the ranges so they're not quite so.... bizarre?

Jump range doesn't really balance the game much, fuel use does, but the actual jump range actually just makes travel tedious.

If it were down to me, I'd have ships jump ranges far more similar, with the exception of exploration class vessels, but mess with the fuel tank sizes to limit combat class vessels travel.

Its a real trouble.

But, I knew about how bad the Corvettes jump range is, so I picked mine up from a station that also sells the A class FSD.

I think it was LHS 20, Ohm City. In LYR space, so 15% off. :)

Still, it's jump range is absolutely horrible.

There needs to be a way to balance the ranges so they're not quite so.... bizarre?

Jump range doesn't really balance the game much, fuel use does, but the actual jump range actually just makes travel tedious.

If it were down to me, I'd have ships jump ranges far more similar, with the exception of exploration class vessels, but mess with the fuel tank sizes to limit combat class vessels travel.

I'm torn between disgust and zany nonsense with FDev. When you're dealing with a Capital Ship, you're dealing with large/huge sized Fuel Tanks.. Let's take an example of the Iowa Class Battleship... Given it's size, you're looking at a maximum cruising range of 14,890 nmi (27,580 km; 17,140 mi) at 15 kn (28 km/h; 17 mph) on the Planet Earth... The Yamato Class Battleship had a range of 7,200 nautical miles @ 16 knots (13,300 km @ 30 km/h). These would be considered the Corvettes of World War II.

Apparently FDev has modeled the Corvette after the Revenge Class... 5,000 nmi (9,000 km) at 12 knots (22 km/h). No wonder the Corvette has crap range.

Maybe this ship needs a rework more than most of the ships currently of the line.

Last edited:
I have managed to get it out of there now. And the fuel tank is only 32t, which mean due to the FSD working like mad to is low range the fuel goes quick.

The anaconda has more armor, and jumps may more than cutter and corvette. Come in bring the corvette up a little to be either same as or just under the cutter pls.

Or intorudce a larger FSD for corvette and new coming type 10, and panther clipper when if it t arrives.

It spoiles what is a gorgeous ship.

i bought one in LHS 28 to get 15% discount, but the default equipment and jump range is so low i couldn't jump out of the system in a direction i wanted.

i ended up travelling to the founders world in my asp, buying an anoconda to get a large 6a class SD, i then stored it, ended up selling anoconda, flying back to corvette is my my asp.
i then transferred the newly bought class 6a fed from founders world to LHS 28 all this so i could fly somewhere due to the rubbish range. LHS28 didn't have any better FSDs than what came with it.
i was laughing thinking I've heard the range is poor, but no so bad you cannot get to a destination in the bubble.

I too had trouble getting my Corvette out of the system I bought it in.
I was annoyed but I saw it as a challenge.
I knew about the Corvette's idiosyncrasies and I accepted them for what they are.
The small jump range is part of the ship's identity. It is fine.

It would be different if engineering was not part of the game.
You need that to make the Corvette viable for interstellar travel.

You're not going to get anything like that until, and unless, Frontier goes to a realistic design model where you can build a ship instead of filling in the predefined holes in their current game balance models.

Regarding the "ship's identity", I understand that it is what it is, but this is also flawed. A Navy is used "to project force"; this is a bit difficult when you cannot GET to the place you are intent on influencing.

Last edited:
I didn't have an issue with it, as I simply had it shipped to my home system. You don't want to fly your shiny ship junk-rated out in the open anyway.

Now I have 19.5ly jumprange in combat trim, which is adequate. I can get anywhere in the bubble well within 10 minutes.

i then transferred the newly bought class 6a fed from founders world to LHS 28

all this so i could fly somewhere due to the rubbish range. LHS28 didn't have any better FSDs than what came with it.

With the hit you take on selling the conda wouldn't it have been easier to just transfer your vette to the station with the right size FSD you wanted?

I didn't have an issue with it, as I simply had it shipped to my home system. You don't want to fly your shiny ship junk-rated out in the open anyway.

Now I have 19.5ly jumprange in combat trim, which is adequate. I can get anywhere in the bubble well within 10 minutes.

Mine is 19.88:
B6WfYTr.jpg

When you want to absolutely guarantee you'll reach your destination, a Corvette will do it. If you have a particular deadline maybe choose another ship ;)

Good stuff, I've been at BP with an FDL. :)
So, although I'm planning to go exploring with the Corvette, I'm note sure about punishing myself with a 3rd run to BP anytime soon. :)

Was your FDL fitted for exploration? My Corvette (I'm still out in it btw) is just my regular multi-role ship, I went out looking for some data one day & just kept going.

Jump range aside, the Corvette has some things going for it for exploration. It can carry everything a Conda can, it has better supercruise handling than the Conda, and it's centrally mounted cargo hatch is easy to line up with & get into, particularly when the ship is hovering.

When travelling in a low jump range ship (IMO ~20ly is not that low) the galaxy is no longer just a series of connected dots, it becomes a maze that needs to be navigated more carefully. I can understand that most probably just want o get to their destination as quickly as they can, but for me the travelling & what you find along the way is just as much a part of the game.

Was your FDL fitted for exploration? My Corvette (I'm still out in it btw) is just my regular multi-role ship, I went out looking for some data one day & just kept going.

Jump range aside, the Corvette has some things going for it for exploration. It can carry everything a Conda can, it has better supercruise handling than the Conda, and it's centrally mounted cargo hatch is easy to line up with & get into, particularly when the ship is hovering.

When travelling in a low jump range ship (IMO ~20ly is not that low) the galaxy is no longer just a series of connected dots, it becomes a maze that needs to be navigated more carefully. I can understand that most probably just want o get to their destination as quickly as they can, but for me the travelling & what you find along the way is just as much a part of the game.

Yes, but it still had A-rated internals, like thrusters, shields, and whatnot. Its range was 24.5 ly, now I improved it to 26.7 or so. To me planetary flight handling, design in/out, sound and the 'feeling' of the ship trump jumprange, hence I never owned an Asp. :)

Another plus for the Vette is that the sideways visibility is much better as the bridge is narrower.

Yes, but it still had A-rated internals, like thrusters, shields, and whatnot. Its range was 24.5 ly, now I improved it to 26.7 or so. To me planetary flight handling, design in/out, sound and the 'feeling' of the ship trump jumprange, hence I never owned an Asp. :)

Another plus for the Vette is that the sideways visibility is much better as the bridge is narrower.

I have an Asp but it too has armour but it only has 8t of cargo space so I hardly use it compared to my Cobra with 16t. I try to build my ships to be survivable (in Open), I need to be able to get back in to dock after even the longest jaunt :)

One day you, me & WR3ND (in his Vulture) should get together for a selfie ;)

Top Bottom