Newcomer / Intro Federation ranking

I've been playing for 170 hours right now in Elite Dangerous. I've got even an Anaconda ship (and many others).

The problem is that my Federation Rank (which I'm allied with top reputation) is Still at NONE at 100% and I've never seen any mission about promotion.

I'm "living" in BEETRIX start system at HERTZ ORBITAL.

Please, could someone help me to start ranking , I think this is a Bug but I don't know how to fix it. I've tried to log, relog in open, solo, and private group mode but nothing changes...no missions.

Thank you.

Congratulations on your speedy progress so far.

Unfortunately to move up the ranks you will have to do some missions, these will have navy or naval in the name or description they will only appear from Federation allied minor factions with whom you are cordial or better.

It is recommended that you find a location with several Federation minor factions and get to the required status with all of them and keep an eye on the mission boards for the ranking missions whilst doing what you enjoy in the mean time.

Don't worry about your progress being stalled while waiting for the ranking mission as progress continues in the background, I have read of cases where when the ranking mission arrived the person found after completing it that they were already at 100% of the next rank. By the way doing multiple ranking missions if they appeared at the same time has no benefit.

Last edited:
The ranking missions don't explicitly say that they are for promotion. They are invariably something like "Navy Haulage Mission" or something of that ilk. They'll mention the navy anyway. You need to be allied, possibly friendly with the local Federation faction to be offered them.

And don't worry, it is still recording your rank progress in the background so you are not really losing out on any rank progress.

I'm currently a Lieutenant with the Federation and most of my ranking came pretty quickly. I found very often that I'd hit 100% and then do a "Navy" mission (anything with Navy in the mission title) and I'd rank up and either be 100% again immediately (lower down the ranking system) or very close to 100%. Once you get to Chief Petty Officer/Ensign it takes longer to earn the ranking but is still very doable.

A system with a good number of Federation minor factions helps immensely - no doubt part of the reason Sothis/Ceos is so popular for purely ranking.

Sothis/Ceos works well for getting to 100% and then giving Naval missions.
Sometimes the navy missions don't appear for a while but you continue to earn toward the next rank as you continue to do missions so just keep grinding.
I made Rear Admiral there in about 4 days time from Ensign I believe I was when I arrived there. Took a lot of hours running back and forth but I bought my shiny new corvette at the 15% discount right after and I'm loving that ship!

Once you get to 100% in naval rank (not Rep, Rank. If you don't know the difference, Google it, otherwise you'll never see an ascension mission) you need to find a mission with the phrase "Federal Navy" in the heading. Completing these will gain you the next rank. If you're unsure, check a mission and look at the rewards section. An ascension mission will list the next naval rank in the rewards.

You must be at least friendly with a Federation aligned minor faction for them to appear. They are random as to what type of mission and when they spawn, however they're heavily weighted (I haven't had to flip more than 2 boards to find mine). No faction will spawn more than one mission at a time, and I've never seen more than one faction offer it at a time.

Once you get friendly with the Federation aligned stations in the sector, I found it helps to move around. If one station isn't spawning a naval mission for you, more than likely another station will. I've jumped to neighbouring systems on a routine delivery and found naval missions spawn when it refused to spawn where I picked up the delivery. I'm not sure if the system state has anything to do with it. (Pickup system was in the Civil War state.)

Once you get friendly with the Federation aligned stations in the sector, I found it helps to move around. If one station isn't spawning a naval mission for you, more than likely another station will. I've jumped to neighbouring systems on a routine delivery and found naval missions spawn when it refused to spawn where I picked up the delivery. I'm not sure if the system state has anything to do with it. (Pickup system was in the Civil War state.)

Thank you everyone. In my case the point was I was not Cordial with all minor federation factions. Once I was I could find easyly one "Federation navy" mission that promoted me. I've just jumped two ranks with two missions and still 100% (I think I've got plenty of missions done so I will get to duke just making promotion missions one after other :-D ).

Thank you everyone. In my case the point was I was not Cordial with all minor federation factions. Once I was I could find easyly one "Federation navy" mission that promoted me. I've just jumped two ranks with two missions and still 100% (I think I've got plenty of missions done so I will get to duke just making promotion missions one after other :-D ).

Ahh, Duke is Imperial Navy, not Fed.

Top Bottom