General Feedback after 100+ hrs of gameplay from a casual player trying to be dedidcated

I hope the dev team realizes there is a yearning for greater exclusive PvP un-hindered by solo or private influence o7.
I don't think this will ever happen. It'd cost more money and pretty much everyone can live with the current compromise, if you want to call it that rather than an original design choice.

True but others can. Because if you are playing in open and having an affect on powerplay and BGS then other will and can come after you right? You assume that i have no other friends in other countries and time zones to monitor BGS if you were playing in open. Fear is why solo players play in solo who want to affect open, fear nothing else.

I don't doubt you believe this, but it's simply not true in most cases, because the Elite world is very large. For example, the last few weeks, one of my accounts has been driving the BGS in ways that are directly opposed by some other players. I only play in Open, and I know through other channels that they mostly play in Open. I know they're there, I can see the BGS effects. Yet over several weeks, we've never seen each other in-game. Might reach out and see if we can organize a duel sometime, just for the funsies of actually meeting face to face for once.

And the fact is, serious BGS players won't bother hunting other players. If you blow someone up, they'll just respawn somewhere nearby. Possibly even at the station you were trying to prevent them reaching! You have no obvious way of knowing if you intercepted them full of valuable data, or just on their way back to rearm or pick up more missions. And in the time you spent hunting for them, they quite likely completed numerous missions or trades or whatever they're up to.

Otherwise I mostly agree with your points, and I'm glad you're having a good time!

I don't doubt you believe this, but it's simply not true in most cases, because the Elite world is very large. For example, the last few weeks, one of my accounts has been driving the BGS in ways that are directly opposed by some other players. I only play in Open, and I know through other channels that they mostly play in Open. I know they're there, I can see the BGS effects. Yet over several weeks, we've never seen each other in-game. Might reach out and see if we can organize a duel sometime, just for the funsies of actually meeting face to face for once.

And the fact is, serious BGS players won't bother hunting other players. If you blow someone up, they'll just respawn somewhere nearby. Possibly even at the station you were trying to prevent them reaching! You have no obvious way of knowing if you intercepted them full of valuable data, or just on their way back to rearm or pick up more missions. And in the time you spent hunting for them, they quite likely completed numerous missions or trades or whatever they're up to.

Otherwise I mostly agree with your points, and I'm glad you're having a good time!

Im glad you realize I am actually, having a good time 😏😁 o7, also i do only have 100hrs of the game. Although I would never play on open or private ever again (did it once). My opinion on the separate stance may change with more experience right now for a person interested in Power plat PvP and BGS PvP it seems a bit unjust. Again perception!

Im glad you realize I am actually, having a good time 😏😁 o7, also i do only have 100hrs of the game. Although I would never play on open or private ever again (did it once). My opinion on the separate stance may change with more experience right now for a person interested in Power plat PvP and BGS PvP it seems a bit unjust. Again perception!
PvP is an edge Lord thing here. Not beginners.

Well fair but there is nothing wrong with change right? So if they make Solo world specifically just for solo players what harm can that be? I mean max 9k concurrent players on steam last check. I believe having a purely Open dedicated world where is only affected by People in open wouldnt hurt those numbers because people that like PvP would love a game like this. It looks beautiful. It feels greart it just needs to cater to both. I mean it is possible. Or are solo players worried that their solo world would become obselete because competition(PvP) is more enticing than ghosting eachother for effect?
What you're proposing is making two games out of one. It's more trouble than it's worth.

Those two "worlds" (Solo and PvP) would need to be completely separate, because economic states, faction expansions, etc would be influenced by completely different things and therefore Solo galaxy would look greatly different than PvP one.
So, no more switching between modes.

I bought this game bacause it had Solo mode. At first, when I heard that new Elite is going to be MMO and require internet connection I was disappointed and dismissed it. I thought it was going to be regular MMO with all the things I don't like about it. When I realised I actually can play it alone, I decided to give it a chance.
Now, I played in Solo for about 6 months before I decided to try Open. And then I remained there. Mostly.
I usually play in Open, but sometimes I just don't have the time to focus 100% attention on it. Sometimes the game runs when I do other things and I occassionally jump in to correct the ship's course, or land when it arrives at destination, etc. Other times I turn the game on even if I know I might need to quit in 5 or 10 minutes. I don't play in Open then, because encountering other players would make things problematic.

Your proposal would make this gameplay style impossible. I would need to choose between Solo and PvP and stay there for the most part.
I think the ability to switch modes is great thing that separates this game from the others. It just isn't PvP focused game. And most of us don't want it to be PvP focused. We still can do it and it can be fun, but forcing PvP on this game would change it completely.

Now, about BGS... Elite world is huge. Single system can have billions of inhabitants. Even if not for instancig problems, for players to control everything that happens in that system by blocking it with their ships is absurd. Influence by players in all modes adds the sense of unpredictability and scale. You're just one man - even with bunch of friends you can't hope to have complete control over even one star system. You can try, but at the end of the day it's only so much you can do.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Because solo is intended for a personal world where you dont interact hence the word SOLO. Open is for people to interact. Private is a controll enviroment where you chose who interacts. It is very clear. Open should be ONLY for players who are not affraid or feel a detriment to interaction with other players. The fact i cant forcibly via game mechanics stop a player from solo from affecting the open world is counter intuitive. If he wants to affect Open why dont they just play in Open?
Not according to Frontier. From the very beginning (over seven years ago), Frontier's stance has been that every player both experiences and affects a single shared galaxy state, regardless of game mode. When the game was launched on each console this expanded to "regardless of platform". This being the case, the BGS, Powerplay, etc., does not "belong" to players who play in Open any more, or less, than it does to those who play in the other two game modes.

That players can't force other players to engage in the entirely optional play-style that is PvP is, for many players, a feature, not a problem. That Frontier remain committed to their game design is also obvious, given the periodic restatements of their stance.

Craith

Volunteer Moderator
... cool wind in my hair ...

Apart from what others said, the capability of PvP to defend against a dedicated BGS attack is close to zero, even if it takes place in open. Yes, it can mitigate a bit by shooting down a few ships, but it is less effective than if they'd work the BGS themselves. PvP is the direct confrontation, BGS is a more strategical approach to player vs. player encounters.

Power Play I find great in concept, but the implementation does not really hold up to it - very repetitive gameplay, quite disconnected from the rest of the gameplay but the intersections that exist don't make any sense (Hudson prefering imperial factions over Federal ones for example)

I agree with shields (and to a point also hull) being to strong - but this is mostly a problem with them stacking, and shield cells (don't like the mechanic).

Engineering should come with more downsides for the upsides it has - I expected more diversity from engineering, so if my ship is faster, it might be less agile. my laser has longer range, but deals less damage. my shield regenerates faster, but lower total and drawing from WEP too ... now it is a minor inconvenience (often integrity, which doesn't matter as long as shields stay up apart from a few cases (shield breakers) that can be mitigated/negated with (surprise!) another defensive measure, module reinforcements.

The economy ... it does not exist any more - credits are just a high score now for some people, and risk of losing money is next to non-existent. I avoid all get-rich-quick-schemes, actually I don't look to earn money, just support my factions and have fun with friends and I'm still filthy rich, with a huge fleet, over 2 billions in cash, and nothing to spend it on.

Love the gameworld, the size, the flight model (apart from the reverski, boring), the general feel of the game, and the community is one of the best out there.

I respect every single one of your points and I hope the dev team realizes there is a yearning for greater exclusive PvP un-hindered by solo or private influence o7. Thank you!
I think the issue here is that there's nowhere near enough yearning for this.

The fundamental issue is that the BGS is a lot bigger than just the influence and state levels of factions - there's complex interactions with other parts of the game such as stock levels in stations, mining prices, community goals (when they're running), and so on. To run it in a way that the Open BGS wasn't affected by the Private/Solo one would require, essentially, two separate copies of the game [1]. Anything less would involve a lot of exploits which might make it easier for Solo BGS players.

That would be really expensive for Frontier - even running the limited low-capacity Beta server is something they don't do very much, and maintaining two systems full time, especially as they diverge, would be a lot of work for them.

But of course, if the majority of BGS-focused player groups supported this, there wouldn't be so many complaints in the first place because the majority of interactions would be in Open to start with. So I think there needs to be - rather than the negative approach of complaining about people hiding - a positive approach of showing how much more fun an Open-Open BGS conflict is. (There's a couple going on near me, so it's not that they don't happen - but people don't go around being positive about them when they do)

It's also worth noting that, due to the way the effects of people 'just passing through' tends to work in the BGS, if you're fighting to defend a system you may well be benefiting from PG/Solo activity accidentally supporting your faction ... and if you got rid of that, you'd be easier for the other side to attack, even if everyone trying consciously to affect the outcome is already in Open.

[1] Powerplay has much fewer interactions and would be just about practical to separate, though even then I don't think it would work as well in practice as the theory says because of many of Powerplay's other problems.

... cool wind in my hair ...

Apart from what others said, the capability of PvP to defend against a dedicated BGS attack is close to zero, even if it takes place in open. Yes, it can mitigate a bit by shooting down a few ships, but it is less effective than if they'd work the BGS themselves. PvP is the direct confrontation, BGS is a more strategical approach to player vs. player encounters.

Power Play I find great in concept, but the implementation does not really hold up to it - very repetitive gameplay, quite disconnected from the rest of the gameplay but the intersections that exist don't make any sense (Hudson prefering imperial factions over Federal ones for example)

I agree with shields (and to a point also hull) being to strong - but this is mostly a problem with them stacking, and shield cells (don't like the mechanic).

Engineering should come with more downsides for the upsides it has - I expected more diversity from engineering, so if my ship is faster, it might be less agile. my laser has longer range, but deals less damage. my shield regenerates faster, but lower total and drawing from WEP too ... now it is a minor inconvenience (often integrity, which doesn't matter as long as shields stay up apart from a few cases (shield breakers) that can be mitigated/negated with (surprise!) another defensive measure, module reinforcements.

The economy ... it does not exist any more - credits are just a high score now for some people, and risk of losing money is next to non-existent. I avoid all get-rich-quick-schemes, actually I don't look to earn money, just support my factions and have fun with friends and I'm still filthy rich, with a huge fleet, over 2 billions in cash, and nothing to spend it on.

Love the gameworld, the size, the flight model (apart from the reverski, boring), the general feel of the game, and the community is one of the best out there.

I like this

As a casual I want to give my feedback to developers on my current experience with elite Dangerous.

Game purchased : 2015
Game played: 2020

Current ships:
Sidewinder
Viper Mk3
Krait mk2 (preferred)
ASP explorer
Type 7

Highest rank: Combat Expert
Preferred Faction: Federation
Squadron: Yes
Powerplay: Yes always in open (everyone should 😏)
Playstyle: BGS and PvP preferred
Disposition: Highly Competitive

Now that I feel I got a general portion of my profile out o want to start with the pros then move to the cons. Ill keep it short as possible. I will let rebutals lead the conversations

PROS:

• World looks great
  • Player interqcrion with BGS feels great
  • Exploration seems intuitive with knowledge of the game world
  • flying a ship feels great
  • Power play concept is great
  • the community both 2015 and 2020 are really nice to help a new player
  • feeling of scale is lovely

CONS:

• merged worlds social, open, and private is not cool
  • shields are too OP
  • instances are too unstable
  • making and losing credits needs rework (ppl with 22 billion like why)
  • engineering too Op
  • No NPC followers (not including fighters)
  • Did I mention shields with engineering are too OP?

Im more than happy to discuss and have a serious respectful conversation. I also have a sharp tounge (xbox comm banned at times) and will talk back if someone tries to be condescending and toxic. Hope we dont get there :)...lets be respectful

Asp

It's not an acronym

So this is just a stealth Open-Only-PowerPlay thread?

There's lots of reasons it's irrelevant. PvP is not particularly effective, and there are tons of other barriers between players interacting in opposition.

So this is just a stealth Open-Only-PowerPlay thread?
Nah it's just everyone else ignoring most of the OP and latching onto the low hanging
oh look at the newbie, he doesn't know that
he can check out any time he likes,
but he can never leave

CONS:

• shields are too OP
  • instances are too unstable
  • making and losing credits needs rework (ppl with 22 billion like why)
  • engineering too Op
  • No NPC followers (not including fighters)
  • Did I mention shields with engineering are too OP?

I disagree with the shields and engineering thing. I think they need to be re-balanced so that 'best in slot' builds are not so cookie cutter, but I dont think they are too op. Anyone can obtain them

Agree with the economy issues. Some type of inflation or like bank robberies or something idk. Taxes maybe?

NPC followers -- I think you can petition FDEV to get a faction in game. There are requirements
IDk you can read more here I think https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/establish-your-own-minor-faction-and-faq.177719/

but I agree that it would be cool if you could have NPC's wing up . Lets hope in the carrier patch they introduce this. I am hoping they have mining NPC's too with the Mining fighters. I really hope you can drop a carrier in to a system in deep space and send out a team to mine for you while you explore the region. IT would be tedious if you had to do all the mining solo for the fuel.

I also agree that it is kinda cheap that you can fly around in private, get everything, then drop in to open like you own it. -- still, community means compromise so I think it is livable.

What if I'm on a different platform to you, live in a different time or just simply play at a different time of day? I can still play in open and affect your game but you can do nothing (PvP wise) to stop me. Should there be a separate BGS for different platforms and time zones?

so have you never stayed up all night playing this game? give it time lol

Forum bingo needs to be a thing again.

This is a forum joke, unbeknownst to you most of the points you make have been repeated ad infinitum elsewhere.

Let's start by looking at your assumptions as to what the game is. It seems like you think it's wholly an MMO where players join factions to contest space using the BGS.

That's fair and what you might expect, but this simply isn't the case. It can be that. It also can be just a dude/dudette in their own craft, in solo doing whatever the hell they like. Both equally valid, neither "right".

The BGS is set to be influenced by every player, in every mode, on every platform. That's not to say that player factions can't compete, they can, but the method of competition is via BGS actions and rarely about direct PvP.

It's rarely about direct PvP because of instancing limitations, so even if all players were in open, each instance is limited to around 20 ships in any case. That's a hard limit so you can see why it would be impossible for that to be reality, as much as ppl would want.

Choosing a mode that best suits you isn't fear, or being scared or whatever - it's simply a player choice. Some people just don't want the hassle.

All this being said, in my opinion the game would greatly benefit from an Open Only level of gameplay such as Powerplay, notwithstanding the instancing issues mentioned above.

I'm not a PvPer so can't comment directly on shields being OP, except to say there is engineered weps that make it easier, I think.

Fly safe, 07.

I would agree with this IF there was a way to influence how the NPC's operated. E.G I could play and buff up the NPC's which would in turn make your BGS on the opposing side more difficult.

Is this the case? I am curious.

Or like the more weapons /medicine /etc I drop at a war time station would affect the amount of NPC pilots for that faction hitting the CZ's.

or maybe like the scan missions would result in actual NPC assaults.

Completely disagree with affecting the world in "ghost" you are still then in "PvP" but hidding (because you can negatively affect my gameplay and there is nothing I can do to stop you i.e kill you over and over) . I have no problems in copying the open world to a personal solo server and have at it (kinda like scenario world) but once you "ghost" and affect a PvP world you are enabling a bad practice in PvP. Solo and Private should be just that. Once you go into open you gave actively opted in to experience grieffers, blockers, pilots that are better or worse than you and the reward is victory. Affecting that PvP atmosphere from a solo instance is unfair to those that do it in the open. A PvPer should never affect a solo (your own world) or a private (a world you have the rules to) OPEN (for all).
So why did you deliberately purchase a game that openly states that it has 3 modes all sharing the same BGS?
No point bleating that others can do something you dislike in another mode...
"Git Gud" at modes or git a game that gives you what you want :eek:

So why did you deliberately purchase a game that openly states that it has 3 modes all sharing the same BGS?
No point bleating that others can do something you dislike in another mode...
"Git Gud" at modes or git a game that gives you what you want :eek:

It is a suggestions forum.

... I mean max 9k concurrent players on steam last check.

But I, and my friends don't play via steam - oddly enough nor do our console companions..

I believe having a purely Open dedicated world where is only affected by People in open wouldnt hurt those numbers because people that like PvP would love a game like this....

So you would be happy to pay for everyones subsctiptions to dedicated servers?

... Or are solo players worried that their solo world would become obselete because competition(PvP) is more enticing than ghosting eachother for effect?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Top Bottom