Feeling unprepared /

All it boils down to is Jump range. My ASP will do 49.6 LY without boost, I have matts for 100% but that’s still sub 100ly.

I am at the core been fiddling around for a few months, bit of mining and now I am off exploring but in the back of my mind I feel I’ll get somewhere and not be able to make that jump.

Problem is I’m at the core and so to go back to the bubble and upgrade all the stuff then turn and come back will take weeks. Should I just forget my insecurities and get on with exploring or should I plot my route and start jumping back to civilisation ASAP.

Does that include the Guardian FSD booster? If yes, then the Colonia engineers will be able to get you up to 60+ Ly. If you don't have the Guardian booster unlocked, it sounds like you're reasonably well engineered already (my Asp does 62Ly and change with the guardian FSD, and everything else engineered to hell and back, although it's weighed down by a few things).

As for it you need that range, that all depends on if you plan on going to the fringes of the galaxy (in any direction) or want to navigate between spiral arms where things get a little sparse. With 100% FSD injection you should be fine as long as you maintain a stash, and don't neutron jump your way into a system you can't then jump out of.

Does that include the Guardian FSD booster? ...

No this is at least one of the things I am missing. I am headed up high at the moment so guess I will reach my limits soonish. Shame really I guess I’ll naturally find a time to go home to the bubble and go did the Guardian stuff.

I wouldn't race back to do it, unless you really want to. I've always found it good to come back and work on things like that periodically, as a break between exploration trips. I've also done the "race back to change things" journey as well, and I don't recommend it for everyone.

My usual take on jump ranges is:

40+ Lets you go just about anywhere.
50+ Does it faster and more comfortably.
60+ Gap? What gap? :D

Thank you all for such positive advice. I keep seeing 70+ly jump ranges touted about and just felt inferior. But it seems I should be ok and will keep exploring until such a time I just want to go back to the bubble.

Currently just headed up, then when that runs out I plan on going out the opposite side of SagA to the bubble.

Thank you all for such positive advice. I keep seeing 70+ly jump ranges touted about and just felt inferior. But it seems I should be ok and will keep exploring until such a time I just want to go back to the bubble.

Currently just headed up, then when that runs out I plan on going out the opposite side of SagA to the bubble.
That is just because there are many who are obsessed with jump range.

You will NOT be able to reach everything, BUT …
… my first trip to Beagle Point was also with an ASP X that had a approx. the jumprange like yours. So don't worry.
And with 100 % FSD boosting you will even make it to Semotus Beacon. Just make sure you have enough materials to get back ;) .

And than there is a handy tool available that you can use to figure out if you can actually get somewhere :) .

I do all my exploration in a 75Ly Conda, and sometimes I have to do boosts. Basically, if you FSD boost into a system, make sure you have enough fuel and mats to boost back out again.

I always triple check before doing any FSD injections.

Exploring in a Jumpconda is kinda boring though, that's the thing. I like my Jumpconda cos it can get me places quick (like I did an EDSM fix for Lance that was 53kLy away from Sol, I got there in less than 2 days), but you miss a lot by jumping long distance - it's not really exploring. Kinda like if you went on a motorway to a destination, you don't see all the stuff you go past. But if you drive the smaller roads, it might take you longer, but you get to see more stuff.

What exactly are you missing in a jumpaconda?
On average the galaxy is everywhere equally boring or interesting, depends on your view. I consider this as part of the experience, but I don't understand in how far I'll see different stuff than the ever same glowing orbs, if I have a shorter jumprange?
I do understand if a pilot prefers different ships because of the view, or how the feel while flying, even if they do it because of the sound the ship makes. I also understand if somebody is plotting economic routes all the way to BP just to see how far they'll come without a fuel scope. But I don't understand the highway vs. smaller roads. I perceive the galaxy as just containing of smaller roads.

I don't want to mock you but in this case I have a bit the feeling that if _ I _ (!) might be totally wrong than I might be missing out on sth. that I might enjoy. Hence, I'm asking :)

So, say I wanna go on a trip to Rosetta nebula. In a 75Ly Conda I'll do less jumps than a 40Ly ship. Which means I'll visit/discover less places before I get to my destination - right ?

I know I could jump shorter using eco, but I never do that cos of the 1kLy limit :p

mhm … but that is exactly what I mean. Have you seen one M red dwarf you've seen all of them.
But I understand this. It's very different from my modus operandi. I usually have a goal where I want to fly to. Mostly this is very far away, so that I will see a lot of the same old same old anyway.
But it could have been that long jumps leave out something special.

Thank you for the answer :)

Top Bottom