Feeling unprepared /

No matter what your jump range is, there are always places you cannot go.
As long as when you are bored, you can get home before you uninstall, them your jump range is high enough.

Deleted member 38366

D
IMHO being prepared is mostly knowing where you're going and what you intend to do once there.

So if a trip is planned near Sag A*, high Jumpranges aren't required at all - credited to the insane System Density there. A Stock Sidewinder could successfully explore once there ;)
But if planning to head out to the outermost Arms of the Galaxy and take stabs outward (or test lowest/highest Galactic Elevation there), very high Jumprange clearly helps - alot.

If anything, carrying a minimum stack of FSD Synthesis and the proper Equipment to get the job done is definitely in order.

The longest exploration trip my CMDR has been on was done with a 14.26ly jump range and most of his current ships that have fuel scoops have jump ranges in the ballpark of 25-40ly.

If you aren't planning on being in low density areas for protracted periods of time, or pushing to the fringes of space it's possible to reach, jump range is less about exploration and more about racing from point A to point B.

i just remembered one reason why I prefer a longer jumprange (beside getting where I want to go faster): automated route-plotting.
Unless one is in extremely low star density regions (e.g. between the Outer Arm Vacuus and the Perseus Arn) , a (significantly) longer jumprange makes it easier for the route plotter to actually find a route over long distances. Thus, less manual plotting is required.
I'm talking about regions like The Abyss. With my Kassandra (an ASP Explorer with a bit higher jumprange than OP's) I've made it through The Abyss without much worry. But it required manual plotting and smaller detours several times. With Kassiopeia (my Exploraconda) that wasn't necessary.

DW2 was fine in my 35 Ly Vulture without boosts. Made a nice auto-plot waypoint route through The Abyss even. :)

HB7NlR2.jpg

As far as I know you would only really need more than that if you're trying to reach something specific or compete with others for how edge you are. ;)

Of course you might want more than that so that you can travel faster though.

Happy trails. o7

I love these discussions, because it stirs up the debate that rages within myself once every few weeks. The longer jump ranges are quite wonderful for getting to places quickly, and course plotting easily. But part of me really wants to fly off-meta ships that are just fun to fly, but then it's usually not long before I'm wishing I had repair limpets that I don't use, or something.

If it came down to just "cockpit feel" alone, I'd probably fly an Eagle, but to date I've never been able to bring myself to be so limited when I can just choose something like the Phantom, which never gets in my way. ;):D (I only toyed with the Eagle near bubble space, so far)

As an aside: I'm the guy who has historically changed exploration ships about once every 6 weeks for the last 2 years. :D

I'm tempted to switch to my Beluga for exploration once I get back from wherevertheshitiamrightnowcosifixedsomestuffforLanceinthedarkdepthsofthegalaxy.

As an aside: I'm the guy who has historically changed exploration ships about once every 6 weeks for the last 2 years.

I definitely don't change ships as much as you but I have never taken the same ship out on a long exploration trip twice. So far I have used (chronological order) AspX, Anaconda, Beluga, Clipper, Vulture and have a Dolphin, Viper IV and Sidewinder in the works. I have never had a jump range over 52 Ly for a long trip. My Asp X currently has a range of 68 Ly but that is my bubble taxi, not for exploring anymore.

I'm tempted to switch to my Beluga for exploration once I get back from wherevertheshitiamrightnowcosifixedsomestuffforLanceinthedarkdepthsofthegalaxy.

You won't regret it :)

Christmas is coming up. ED always discounts the game every year at a very low cost. Have fun in the black then purchase a second account in the bubble. One could suggest that it is the ultimate exploit with your dedicated exploration in the galaxy then a new account in the bubble playing with all the new toys. Given the sometimes grind of this game it is wise to have options. I have an engineered Orca and Python in Colonia when the main bubble account bores me.

Last edited:
I love these discussions, because it stirs up the debate that rages within myself once every few weeks. The longer jump ranges are quite wonderful for getting to places quickly, and course plotting easily. But part of me really wants to fly off-meta ships that are just fun to fly, but then it's usually not long before I'm wishing I had repair limpets that I don't use, or something.

If it came down to just "cockpit feel" alone, I'd probably fly an Eagle, but to date I've never been able to bring myself to be so limited when I can just choose something like the Phantom, which never gets in my way. ;):D (I only toyed with the Eagle near bubble space, so far)

As an aside: I'm the guy who has historically changed exploration ships about once every 6 weeks for the last 2 years. :D
I'm sourly tempted by the Eagle as well. I have one on the back burner ready to go. I like the higher combat capability and survivability of the Vulture though. It's like a nimble little tank.

xVOlyJS.jpg

But yeah, the Eagle is probably my favorite ship to pilot for the sake of piloting it.

My first exploration ship was an Orca. Good (but not awesome) jump range, very good (but not the best) view from the cockpit, excellent supercruise handling, best boost sound in the game, and most importantly, one of the best looking ships in screenshots.

The thing I like about the Conda, is that it hardly moves when in a neutron cone. The Beluga moves a LOT more in comparison :p

That's true, the slower the steering, the less it gets buffeted around in a neutron cone. The T9 was nice for this-- it hardly felt it.

That's true, the slower the steering, the less it gets buffeted around in a neutron cone. The T9 was nice for this-- it hardly felt it.
That's funny. I suppose it's a good thing I don't use neutron boosts then. My Vulture might end up backwards inside of itself. :D

That's funny. I suppose it's a good thing I don't use neutron boosts then. My Vulture might end up backwards inside of itself. :D

It's funny you say that, I figured the same thing but I wanted to test it so I did a neutron boost with my Vulture and it was far more stable than I thought it would be; actually more stable than the Beluga (sorry Rick). I was very surprised.

It's funny you say that, I figured the same thing but I wanted to test it so I did a neutron boost with my Vulture and it was far more stable than I thought it would be; actually more stable than the Beluga (sorry Rick). I was very surprised.
Good to know! Thanks for taking one for the team. :)

Top Bottom