Newcomer / Intro Felicity Farseer?

The scoop activates automatically (if you have it equipped and powered up).

Don't laugh - there are many experienced pilots who were wondering why they couldn't scoop - until they remembered that they had removed the scoop at the last port.

The scoop activates automatically (if you have it equipped and powered up).

Don't laugh - there are many experienced pilots who were wondering why they couldn't scoop - until they remembered that they had removed the scoop at the last port.
And at least as many who had the thing installed + powered, but forgot KGB FOAM. ;)

Last edited:
And at least as many who had the thing installed + powered, but forgot KGB FOAM. ;)

Or forgot that sometimes the route planner has to take you to some unscoopable stars, always check when the tank is getting low what the info at top right says your destination star type is.

You can also select the top BAFGKM stars in the galaxy map (can't remember the exact tab). This will direct your plotted route along a path where stars of this type are found. May make your route slightly longer as you're ignoring non-scoopable stars, but it's definitely safer as you won't run out of fuel.

You can also select the top BAFGKM stars in the galaxy map (can't remember the exact tab). This will direct your plotted route along a path where stars of this type are found. May make your route slightly longer as you're ignoring non-scoopable stars, but it's definitely safer as you won't run out of fuel.
Dont forget your O's, they are the most valuable !

"Oh Be A Fine Girl Kiss Me"

Hehe yeah I'd forgotten that little mnemonic. And a member of the local Astronomy Society too... don't tell them; I'll get excommunicated ;)

Success story btw; I have decided to fuel scoop loads - and have done so with the expenditure of only one heatsink (love how the cabin windows freeze over!) - and I am now at the station Arietis Sector XE-Z B4, having a well-deserved cup of tea. I can now make Maia on internal fuel without having to scoop (Cobra MkIII with 2 extra fuel tanks). Cargo space is only 2 but I only need one canister of meta-alloys of course.

So, thank you one and all for al your help on this little voyage.

Last edited:
I have to ask too, because I have been trying without success to figure it out.

How do the Fuel Rats rescue people? I mean it's not like dropping a few pods of hydrogen fuel will help, because even when the 'customer' scoops them up, they will just be cargo which can't be burned as fuel, as far as I understand it.

So what's the mechanism; how do they actually rescue people?

I have to ask too, because I have been trying without success to figure it out.

How do the Fuel Rats rescue people? I mean it's not like dropping a few pods of hydrogen fuel will help, because even when the 'customer' scoops them up, they will just be cargo which can't be burned as fuel, as far as I understand it.

So what's the mechanism; how do they actually rescue people?

Fuel Transfer Limpet Controller

limpets take fuel from one ship and transfer it to the target

I have one of these controllers and a Repair Limpet controller on my DW2 'conda (although I am not a Rat).

Hehe yeah I'd forgotten that little mnemonic. And a member of the local Astronomy Society too... don't tell them; I'll get excommunicated ;)

Success story btw; I have decided to fuel scoop loads - and have done so with the expenditure of only one heatsink (love how the cabin windows freeze over!) - and I am now at the station Arietis Sector XE-Z B4, having a well-deserved cup of tea. I can now make Maia on internal fuel without having to scoop (Cobra MkIII with 2 extra fuel tanks). Cargo space is only 2 but I only need one canister of meta-alloys of course.

So, thank you one and all for al your help on this little voyage.

I am in no way an expert to this game, owning it for 15 days now...

But with Fuel Scoops I am experienced, I use them from day one on. Here are my hints:

• Expending a Heatsink just for scooping - ugh. Should not happen!
  • Try to find out, how deep you need to go into the Corona (the red zone). Too deep, and you risk to overheat and if you come too near to the sun you will emergency exit FSD, this is catastrophic, because now you cannot run away from the sun. Avoid this at all cost!! Heatsinks can save you, but it is not sure they do. So at the beginning better stay higher and scoop only a little and learn how the ship takes on heat and how deep you are in the corona. Better pulling up early and repeating the scoop run, than going too deep and have serious heat problems.
  • It is always better to be patient and dive not too deep. As soon as the Fuel Scoop starts working, reduce your speed! This is much more important than going deeper. This gives the Scoop time to do its job. At the same time watch the temperature. If it nears 80% you will receive a warning. Then just put on speed and draw away slightly. With a bit of experience you soon can do this in an optimal way. And do not forget that you always can fly a bit away from the sun (slowly) and wait until your equipment has cooled off (around 40%), then just do a loop and go back and repeat the process, until you have enough fuel or your tanks are full.
  • Always be aware which type of sun you are jumping to! The T-Tauri type is dangerous, because it looks very similar to a M-type star. But you cannot scoop from it. Once I nearly lost my ship this way - see above, including falling out of FSD - with this type of sun, because I was baffled that the Scoop would not start. You can see which type of sun you are going to jump to in the top right message box.

Hope this helps - Fuel Scoops are extremely useful when going to the unknown, because you can see if there is a 'Fuel Star' ahead of you, but if you do not know the systems you do not know if there will be a station to fuel up.

Last edited:
I must say I found the earlier tips about the type of stars to scoop from to be very useful - OBAFGKM. Also the idea about setting up the filter for only those stars and then setting the route to go only to those stars. Really useful.

Your tips here are useful as well - thank you. I fully agree with the idea of not diving too deep...also I too have found that - as expected - a little bit of practice goes a long way. I am now fuel scooping with confidence.

About the heatsinks - they are great for people who are still learning the basics, but after some practice they are not really necessary. That said, if you get into combat near a star, I can see a situation where we might accidentally overheat the ship in the heat of battle (pun unintentional; my apologies). So until I get back from my trip to Maia I think I will keep the heatsink dispenser...

Shame the ammo is so limited. I wonder if I can synthesise more using mats?

Comments welcome!

Last edited:
I must say I found the earlier tips about the type of stars to scoop from to be very useful - OBAFGKM. Also the idea about setting up the filter for only those stars and then setting the route to go only to those stars. Really useful.

Your tips here are useful as well - thank you. I fully agree with the idea of not diving too deep...also I too have found that - as expected - a little bit of practice goes a long way. I am now fuel scooping with confidence.

About the heatsinks - they are great for people who are still learning the basics, but after some practice they are not really necessary. That said, if you get into combat near a star, I can see a situation where we might accidentally overheat the ship in the heat of battle (pun unintentional; my apologies). So until I get back from my trip to Maia I think I will keep the heatsink dispenser...

Shame the ammo is so limited. I wonder if I can synthesise more using mats?

Comments welcome!

Yep, synthesise heatsinks. No, once you've got the hang of scooping they aren't necessary. They do come in handy for other things, but no spoilers for you!:D

I just watch the heat level and when I'm getting close to 70 I move away from the star but most of the time my tank is topped off long before that happens. You can always go back and scoop again once your heat level drops if you really need the fuel.

Yep, synthesise heatsinks. No, once you've got the hang of scooping they aren't necessary. They do come in handy for other things, but no spoilers for you!:D

Is the only way to restock heatsinks to synthesise them? Can we not simply buy them like other types of ammo? Problem is for me I don't have the mats to make them...

Is the only way to restock heatsinks to synthesise them? Can we not simply buy them like other types of ammo? Problem is for me I don't have the mats to make them...
Yes, of course, they are just another sort of Ammo restocked as normal.
HS are way over rated as an "essential". While I may have used them once or twice (really very very few times), cant say I have EVER actually needed one. They have NEVER saved me.
1) With any reasonable level of experience at fuel scooping (Fly fast. Full Stop is for noobs), you will never overheat significantly, only occasionally a little for a very short while.
2) Heat damage is minimal. Unless you are repeatedly overheating (which you shouldnt), you will never notice the damage. As a fun experiment, get a Sidey, park up and hit Silent Running. Watch the temp rise and rise, alarms go off left and right, but watch your module damage on the right tab. It takes an AGE at HUGE heat levels before you actually die, or cannot get back to the station to repair. If you are getting a little damage frequently, an AMFU is a better choice to fix the damage rather than pile of HS to prevent it.
3) The "Close Binary" scare stories from explorers are over hyped. It always was a rare thing, but FD have made it ultra rare, and much easier to escape even without HS. I have experienced plenty and am happy to experience more without HS.
4) The only genuine use of a HS is if you accidentally (just stop watching Netflix) crash into a star, to allow you to charge FSD and High Wake (never Low Wake)

Old Explorer Moto - "Happiness is a smoking Dashboard"

Last edited:
Top Bottom