Ships Fer-de-Lance Fer-de-Lance Owner's Club

Fer-de-Lance Owners' Club

Right, there's a general thread for a lot of the other ships, and some mentioning this one, but this one is for general appreciation, photos, loadouts, pros, cons, anything for this classic Zorgon Peterson ship.

Screenshot_0400.jpg

"The Fer-de-Lance is another classic design that has now been in production for two centuries. The ship became famous for its popularity with top business executives and wealthy bounty hunters, being a fast, well armed vessel, with luxurious accommodation and high quality components fitted as standard. Early models were built by Zorgon Peterson, but more recently, limited numbers have been upgraded by Saud Kruger in a rare collaboration, resulting in even more lavish creations, without spoiling the original design and specification requirements."

Last edited:
Thanks for adding these! I'll hopefully add some more of mine later. Maybe a shot of the Class 4 PA.

I love the default colour scheme of the ship. I'm not sure I prefer any of the vibrant pack. I may try it in (Imperial?) white if that's out, but the flat colours aren't as exciting as the default.

Anyone else swapped the class5 cargo rack for an A5 shield?

The one complaint I have is that after 58 million credits, the cockpit paint is peeling after just a few days..

So i've been wondering. I love this ship so much. but what does everyone else use as a loadout.

Currently i use.

Huge gimb Cannon
2 MED Gimb Beam Lasers
2 Med gimb Mulit Cannons.

1 Class A Sheild boost
1 Heat sink
2 point defense
1 Kill warrent
1 chaffe launcher

Pretty much All A's on internals except life support is D

Thanks for adding these! I'll hopefully add some more of mine later. Maybe a shot of the Class 4 PA.

I love the default colour scheme of the ship. I'm not sure I prefer any of the vibrant pack. I may try it in (Imperial?) white if that's out, but the flat colours aren't as exciting as the default.

I bought vibrant for FDL, but default is better for me.
I am waiting for gold od chrome :) ... or maybe some other, two colours with some stripes.

And i like cockpit in this ship. Asymetric, unique, high quality, like in a Aston Martin DB9.

Last edited:
So i've been wondering. I love this ship so much. but what does everyone else use as a loadout.

I have tinkered with my loadout a couple of times and decided that the Class 4 cannon wasn't being used enough, especially when I was fighting smaller ships. So I decided to mount a gimballed C3 Beam laser. On the outer hardpoints I mounted two gimballed C2 Beam lasers and on the central hardpoints I mounted two gimballed C2 cannons. (I generally prefer gimballed for accuracy).

This has been an awesome setup! Even for smaller ships, it is amazing and makes quick work of bigger ships too, especially when targeting the power plant and letting RIP with the cannons.

My utility modules are similar to yours, with maybe only 1 point defence. The internal modules are mostly A rated. Plus I have recently gone for military grade armour plating, to survive any close encounters with an asteroid, though this is optional and can reduce overal speed and manouverability due to extra weight.

I love it, though. I much prefer the way the ship feels to, say, a vulture or even a python. The Vulture still has it's uses, of course, with it's lower rebuy cost, but I wouldn't trade-in my FDL. This is love... ;)

I also now have a nice vibrant orange paint job. :D

Last edited:
Anyone else swapped the class5 cargo rack for an A5 shield?

The one complaint I have is that after 58 million credits, the cockpit paint is peeling after just a few days..

Cargo what? Not sure you are in the right thread :)
I got an A5 shield and a A4 fuel scoop, no space for those pesky cargo thingies.

Please tell me this is a montage.

This is my build for very aggressive gameplay: http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=60O,A724yH4yH4yH4yH0mI0mI0Wg0Wg0_q,2-7_7_6Q6u9Y6u5A,7Sk4_w7go9qI02M

It requires lots of power management. The trick is to set the cargo hatch, FSD, fuel scoop and the shield cell bank to low priority. You use the shield cell bank by retracting your hardpoints temporarily.

There's nothing I love more than blasting ships with that plasma accelerator...

Plasmas are good for NPC only. In PvP it is useless. Cannon too, even gimballed.

it is not montage ;) Look at my sig.

Last edited:
Congratulation! I once went to Sagittarius A* with my ASP but I don't think I would have the patience to do it with the range of the FDL.

Great thread. I've wanted to start one about this ship.
I've got myself the Lakon 9 specifically for the purpose to make ludicrous amounts of cash to buy the ships I want to play the game with.

I've always imagined travelling the galaxy in the FDL since Elite1 and will have this gorgeous beast soon !

Last edited:
Plasmas are good for NPC only. In PvP it is useless. Cannon too, even gimballed.

I had no problems shooting down players in large ships with it. And even some smaller ships, when I get to initiate hostilities. The alpha damage has quite a good effect on the ennemies morale I find.

2 point defense

You can ditch these.

I love my Fer-de-Lance like it was my own baby! First ship I've bought that I have no intention of selling for a better one. This is my current loadout;
http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=60O,7RL5Rr5Rr5Rr5Rr0_g0_g0_g0__3we,2-7_7_6Q6k9Y6Q5A,7Sk15O4_w9qS0HW
Mainly been PvE bounty hunting, but off for my first run in a community goal at Quinvira (I think!) Gonna see how she performs in real combat tomorrow. Wish my baby luck!

She's a bit heavy, has no chaff, and no SCBs. That cannon is also next to useless against anyone in a ship smaller or faster than a python. Fighting other CMDRs, at least more competent ones, will be difficult.

Look at my sig.

How long did the journey take you?

I'm planning on using a combat capable FDL for the Buckyball A* at some point.

2 weeks. It is 23 hours of non-stop flying. This ship is not designed for exploration, Buckyball A* is not a good idea. You will be last.
ASP or Conda will make this distance in 10 hours.

I had no problems shooting down players in large ships with it. And even some smaller ships, when I get to initiate hostilities. The alpha damage has quite a good effect on the ennemies morale I find.

OK, then use it. I will not, in my opinion huge plasma and cannons are too slow to aim and they give too little opportunity to use them. Using them is a wasting of huge slot capable to mount 3 class laser.

Last edited:

Currently i use.

Huge gimb Cannon
2 MED Gimb Beam Lasers
2 Med gimb Mulit Cannons.

1 Class A Sheild boost
1 Heat sink
2 point defense
1 Kill warrent
1 chaffe launcher

Pretty much All A's on internals except life support is D

I use:

4 x MED Gimb Pulse