Festive countdown in the store!!!!

I'll take the Cobra.

Noh!!!! Why would you ever do that!?!?![smile]

I bought a couple countdown paints last year but I don't use them much, a chrome Krait, either of them, would be nice though.
I just bought the Phantom Midnight Black paint, it looks very slick.

Not wanting to be the party pooper, but I am not your normal gamer.... rather just started to enjoy a few games.... hence I wondered...

You're serious, really?

These guys make real money for a virtual paint job in a game? Good Lord!!!!!:O :D

The web is about 27 years now. I am on the internet since late 70s, that was way before web browsers were invented. - Archie anyone? - So you could say, I 've been around the block a few times and I mean... well...

Hmm...ok, I shut up now...

:D

unfeckinbelievable lol

Archie anyone?
Veronica ftw.

And while technically still around, I lament the demise of UseNet. Having a million bleeding web-based online-only forums each with their own quirks and logins vs a single unified system? I know which technology I preferred..

These guys make real money for a virtual paint job in a game? Good Lord!!!!!:O :D
If you've "been around the block a few times" this should hardly be news to you. MANY games do this.

As for me, I'm generally against this sort of thing too, but considering Elite isn't subscription-based and yet still requires servers to run, I consider an occasional store purchase as a "subscription". Also a good way to say thanks for free updates.
Or as a way to incentivise them to fix certain issues. For example, I'm currently holding off buying the Krait ship pack until they fix the remaining VR issues introduced in the Beyond Q4 update (not that I expect this to make one iota of actual difference in their workflow...).

It's also another feedback to FDev that the game still has an active and passionate community and that it warrants further development.

Last edited:
Is the Chrome Viper showing up in the store for anyone on xbox?
I opened the store through the game and selected the festive filter and it only shows the sidewinder, cobra and the dolphin.
[h=2][/h]

Not wanting to be the party pooper, but I am not your normal gamer.... rather just started to enjoy a few games.... hence I wondered...

You're serious, really?

The web is about 27 years now. I am on the internet since late 70s, that was way before web browsers were invented. - Archie anyone? - So you could say, I 've been around the block a few times and I mean... well...

unfeckinbelievable lol

Yet you pay average 50 bucks for some digital code.. And you take the time to be a party pooper on a digital forums board.

There is work in paint jobs, work that needs to get paid.

Nobody is forcing you to buy it. You don't have to understand, just accept it and respect other people do enjoy it.

It's not the "late 70s" anymore. Different times, Evolve with it.

There is work in paint jobs, work that needs to get paid.

Hey, really no need to get a hissy fit, don't get it down the wrong tube. I am aware that digital environment artists use Photoshop or Substance Designer/Painter etc and that there is work involved in creating textures and stuff. I was not aware though, really not, that there is a market for such add ons to be monetised.

Try to imagine that this would be totally new information to you, and it might trigger a raised eyebrow with your goodself as well. Not? That's fine with me too. ;)

Cheers

Last edited:
And while technically still around, I lament the demise of UseNet. Having a million bleeding web-based online-only forums each with their own quirks and logins vs a single unified system? I know which technology I preferred..

Here, here. Thems was the days. *shakes walking stick*

Last edited:
Hey, really no need to get a hissy fit, don't get it down the wrong tube. I am aware that digital environment artists use Photoshop or Substance Designer/Painter etc and that there is work involved in creating textures and stuff. I was not aware though, really not, that there is a market for such add ons to be monetised.

Try to imagine that this would be totally new information to you, and it might trigger a raised eyebrow with your goodself as well. Not? That's fine with me too. ;)

Cheers

It's the reason Season 3: Beyond was free. Don't knock it.

You're serious, really?

unfeckinbelievable lol

Fdev is quite reasonable with it's store items, no predatory practices like EA, Bungie, etc.
Buying vanity stuff in-game has been a thing since decades and I'm a gamer since the late 70s too.
Besides that no one forces you to buy anything and you don't need it to play the game.

I'm looking at the gleaming iridescent paint for the srv right now, looks pretty cool, I might get that one.

I do think FDev are exploitative with the pricing and content (and sometimes quality, objectively so re idents and nameplates not fitting neatly onto hulls, lazy kit designs, etc) of updates, especially given 'it's just cosmetic' is a ridiculous defence of such monetisation. Many people, rightly, see customisation as gameplay. And so the only way to customise your ships (in extremely limited ways, no less) is to pay - over and over if you want the same simple palette swap on multiple ships.

They could at least take the, er, P less by having the pack unlock each colour for all ships, not just a single ship. But nope, if the player simply wants two different ships in white or a vivid red, they're forced to pay at least twice. There is no 'choice' about that at all, and FDev obviously know that. In this respect they are not pro-consumer at all.

However, on XB1 Elite has absolutely no direct competition, so they cannot be challenged by competition being less exploitative. I want to support the game, sure, and because I'm a gullible idiot I continue to spend money on lazy palette swaps... but I'd enjoy supporting it more if the monetisation was more fair.

I do like the gold wireframe Sidewinder, but I've not flown that thing since I traded it in for an--- Adder, I think? So that would be a complete waste of money.

They seem more concerned about keeping the store working than the actual game...
Wouldn't that remark seem a tad smarter/less snarky if it hadn't been made just after Chapter 4's release?

Top Bottom