News Fiction Diary #4

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Did Michael pronounce Psykokow's name wrong on purpose? :eek:
I can't imagine why Michael would have any reason to do that :D

Philip Coutts

Volunteer Moderator
Very interesting to hear about slaves and slavery in the Empire. I'm enjoying the background story to ED and I can't wait for the books to start coming out.

So Mars is the center of the federation,
cool...

every new Fiction Diary reveals an intriguing background.
this is a real good job, Michael :)

Does everyone else get that butterfly excitement when these come out??

It fires my desire to PLAY SOOO BAAAAAAAD!!

I forgive his mispronunciation. I mean for Gards sake, its a stupid spelling...

Still I have now got some new face pics to play with!!! :D

Fiction Diary #4, slaves and passengers

Okay, so slaves are not really really slaves in the traditional sense. Not sure I find that entirely plausible.

Anyway I have some additional questions:

1. Can we convert a passenger to a slave? Imagine transporting a celebrity that you don't like, but might bring in good value to sell as slave. Why not lock the door to the cabin and sell the person as slave?

2. You said slaves are required to be taken good care off. Does that mean that there are laws that dictate that in the empire, or is will you just lose status if you mistreat them?

3. Will there be different classes of cabins based on luxury? Maybe dignitaries wont settle for simple accommodations?

4. What if we do not deliver a passenger to the destination, but allow the person to depart from the ship maybe 100 LY from the destination. What ramifications could there be?

5. If a ship gets hit, cargo can float into space and be picked up. What about a cabin and its passenger? And can you eject a cabin if you for some reason would like to do that?

6. Could you imagine having an ill passenger, and making high G turns could kill the person?

7. You are on route to deliver a passenger. You make a stop in-between and notice a better proposal. Can you force the passenger off the ship, to get room for the more lucrative passenger?

8. Can you replace the passenger cabin with another ship module if it is occupied?

9. Can you divert power from the cabin life support system, to boost the shields? (maybe doing this for too long period will kill passenger, or make the person mad at you and not pay full price)

10. Can pirates or rescuers (if you are considered evil), somehow demand you hand over the passenger, and will there will be mechanics for doing this?

11. If you are in combat and the passenger gets frightened. Can the person sneak into your escape capsule, while you are busy fighting, and eject from the ship?

12. If you defeat a NPC ship, and the commander escapes in capsule. Can you scoop it up, and offer the commander to man a gun turret?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't sure if the implication was that players could sell themselves as slaves to pay off a debt...

Fascinating fiction diary though, and I particularly look forward to tackling that topic in the DDF.

Ooh, interesting. I like the off-hand mention that liberating slaves can be seen as a bad thing to do. So maybe in Empire border space, other factions, or even terrorist-like underground elements would offer the player missions to "liberate the slaves", which would be opposed by the Empire's police and bountyhunters (which in turn could involve Empire lawful players).

Heck, this is a good scenario to pit two kinds of players against each other, wherein both believe they are "good".

Michael Brookes

Game Director
Okay, so slaves are not really really slaves in the traditional sense. Not sure I find that entirely plausible.

Anyway I have some additional questions:
1. Can we convert a passenger to a slave? Imagine transporting a celebrity that you don't like, but might bring in good value to sell as slave. Why not lock the door to the cabin and sell the person as slave?

MB: Probably notm, but the design for slaves in-game is in progress.

2. You said slaves are required to be taken good care off. Does that mean that there are laws that dictate that in the empire, or is will you just lose status if you mistreat them?

MB: More traditions than laws, but some basic laws would exist. You couldn't kill a slave in the same way you couldn't kill a citizen.

3. Will there be different classes of cabins based on luxury? Maybe dignitaries wont settle for simple accommodations?

MB: That's the plan.

4. What if we do not deliver a passenger to the destination, but allow the person to depart from the ship maybe 100 LY from the destination. What ramifications could there be?

MB: Depends on who you're working for, some might come gunning for you, others might not deal with you again.

5. If a ship gets hit, cargo can float into space and be picked up. What about a cabin and its passenger? And can you eject a cabin if you for some reason would like to do that?

MB: The details are to be decided, but there is likely to be someway that passangers can eject from a cabin.

6. Could you imagine having an ill passenger, and making high G turns could kill the person?

MB: Maybe, although there would be provision for passangers to survive high G's in the same way pilot's can. Additionaly ships capable of being fitted with passenger cabins aren't likely to be pulling high G's.

7. You are on route to deliver a passenger. You make a stop in-between and notice a better proposal. Can you force the passenger off the ship, to get room for the more lucrative passenger?

MB: Probably, but it would reflect badly on you.

8. Can you replace the passenger cabin with another ship module if it is occupied?

MB: Probably, but the design is sstill in progress so we'll see.

9. Can you divert power from the cabin life support system, to boost the shields? (maybe doing this for too long period will kill passenger, or make the person mad at you and not pay full price)

MB: Maybe, there are some power management options.

10. Can pirates or rescuers (if you are considered evil), somehow demand you hand over the passenger, and will there will be mechanics for doing this?

MB: An interesting idea, one for the DDF to chew over when the topic comes up.

11. If you are in combat and the passenger gets frightened. Can the person sneak into your escape capsule, while you are busy fighting, and eject from the ship?

MB: No.

12. If you defeat a NPC ship, and the commander escapes in capsule. Can you scoop it up, and offer the commander to man a gun turret?

MB: Probably not, but we'll see.

Michael

Ooh, interesting. I like the off-hand mention that liberating slaves can be seen as a bad thing to do. So maybe in Empire border space, other factions, or even terrorist-like underground elements would offer the player missions to "liberate the slaves", which would be opposed by the Empire's police and bountyhunters (which in turn could involve Empire lawful players).

One could easily imagine the slave liberators being viewed in the empire like modern day PETA. There may even be people that don't like slavery and don't keep slaves themselves, but still find the idea of forcefully liberating slaves to be wrong. And slaves themselves may not want to be freed, and may not consider themselves "slaves" in the sense that we know it.

Michael

you appear more comfortable in this Diary. trimming up that tash helped

:rolleyes:

Stuck in the 50's are we? Would hate for you to visit where I live. Can't think of a single man who I know who doesn't have varying degrees of facial hair. :p

GREAT VIDEO! Excited that slavery is being handled properly. There is a REASON slavery doesn't exist within civilized countries anymore, and I really doubt I could believe that in the future we havn't advanced as a species. It would really detract from the believability in my opinion. Also, its good to hear that freeing slaves is an option. Not just because its the right thing to do, but because more options is ALWAYS a good thing.

haha! Well, my mistake, So used to internet hate of anything resembling facial hair, just assumed you where attacking as well! Suppose its just my sadness at seeing where popular fashion is going nowadays. (tight pants, pink hair, and piercings on every inch of the face. :S) No offense meant. :D

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom