Community Event / Creation Fill The Glass - A Time Trial Race (12 - 22 August 3307)

Most players know what makes them fast but as a beginner I don't have that kind of knowledge (i.e. the fastest ship and the engineering that makes them faster)
I know what makes me fast...nothing. I've been playing for 4000+ hours, and I still can't go that fast. I've participated in many races, though. I usually place last, or near last.

It's more about community and enjoying flying ships than winning, anyway. :)

Ok just done another run but things were not quite as I had hoped. I had cut the fuel down to just 6t which is fine except that the ship gets heavier through the race. Had get creative to complete the last section. Then when I landed I went to sell the goods and well....it seems I did not actually purchase them at the last stop. Oh dear.

I know what makes me fast...nothing. I've been playing for 4000+ hours, and I still can't go that fast. I've participated in many races, though. I usually place last, or near last.

It's more about community and enjoying flying ships than winning, anyway. :)
But you do that in such style

"Hey Tony! Check in the garage, see what's lying around. There's a cobra that needs to be entered in this race."

"I've got this 3A life support and a 3D shield, both engineered for light weight. I can also pull engineered FSD from your Asp Scout, is that what you're looking for?"

"Perfect! But leave the shield. We've got to risk it for the biscuit."

And that's the story of how the Love and Duct Tape was created.
sOSKWK7.png

"Oh and Tony, can you bring the Hauler around front? The one that won last year's beer delivery race?"

Now out of storage, the Homebrew Hauler has been rebuilt for the new regulations and is ready for action.
qOMF87T.png

Last edited:
It is good to be back!
That's the first time I've really enjoyed a session of Elite for a while.
Whatever else they do with this game - that flight (read: controlled crash) model just remains so much fun.

@Alec Turner - SC assist tricks? Remember what Zammo and Grange Hill told you.

Good Luck all!

Last edited:
Wowzer, we have had some amazing runs already and it's only day 2! At the moment, Captain-MD sits at the top of both leaderboards but can anyone do better?
It looks like we might be giving away a couple of Soteria themed prizes to the winners of each race, and also putting the names of everyone who has competed into the hat and drawing a prize from there too - so it's all to play for!

For those of you that have submitted multiple runs, we've taken the best times from the ships entered and used that. We're loving seeing multiple entries come in, especially when you beat the previous score!

We'll look to update again in the next couple of days!

Regulation Hauler 1308.png

Unlimited Class 1308.png

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I did my first run this morning... Just got all of the screenshots and was about to submit it when I realised that my Hauler that I had used, although I swapped the PD to be the right one, I left the 1C Fuel Tank in it not the 2C... 🤦‍♂️

but is not really a beginner thing, and pretty much an exploit of the system.
100% this

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Run finally submitted now I have the correct fuel tank fitted :D I didn't get interdicted this time, which is a bonus.

We probably have different definitions of the word "exploit"
Being able to fly at a target in Supercruise at full speed and then activate SC Assist at the last moment to drop into normal space without having to slow down at all, without taking damage, and be perfectly lined up on the station. I'd hope most would call an exploit :) Especially when it comes to racing.

But as we say in the Buckyball races, there's no prizes so you'd only be cheating yourself.

HeatherG

Volunteer Moderator
Run finally submitted now I have the correct fuel tank fitted :D I didn't get interdicted this time, which is a bonus.

Being able to fly at a target in Supercruise at full speed and then activate SC Assist at the last moment to drop into normal space without having to slow down at all, without taking damage, and be perfectly lined up on the station. I'd hope most would call an exploit :) Especially when it comes to racing.

But as we say in the Buckyball races, there's no prizes so you'd only be cheating yourself.
That's why I would never do these. I'd be called a cheater!
I thought it was for fun

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
That's why I would never do these. I'd be called a cheater!
I thought it was for fun
I think you are misunderstanding, using Supercruise Assist isn't cheating. When you target a station and fly the entire way to it using Supercruise Assist, it flies you at 75% throttle all the way to the station and then drops you out automatically.

The exploit involves not activating it until the last moment. So rather than flying at 75% for the whole duration, or flying at 100% until the destination timer reaches 0:06 seconds and then dropping to 75% and gradually slowing down. You're flying at 100% speed until the final moments and don't have to slow down at all.

Using SC Assist the whole journey will take the longest.
Using 100% then 75% throttle, is faster.
Using the exploit is far, far, faster.

Top Bottom