FINALLY VR SUPPORT FOR ODYSSEY

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
They are "looking at it" but it's not being worked on right now.
Well, technically ”looking at it” does imply that there is some work going on towards a possible implementation. However, I agree that it is absolutely a non-commiting statement and not a promise to deliver VR.

It is still more informative than ”not at launch” though - which could mean anything from ”the next patch” to ”not on the roadmap”.

There's nothing that new in what they said in the Thursday stream. IE:

Bruce said he was re-iterating the Arf re-iteration, and Stephen repeated his focus on nausea being a concern:

Bruce: "We are absolutely looking to get VR into Odyssey. It's just a question of whether or not we can deliver that to the high standard that you guys deserve." [24m45s+]

Stephen: "I've done a couple of VR things. Nobody wants to play VR if it isn't done right, coz I mean it's not just like 'oh this isn't going to play well', it's you'll probably throw up on your lap. We don't want the bill for that, for people throwing up everywhere and having to clean stuff up [jokez]. So it's very important when it comes to VR and the implementation of it that we do it right." [25m55s]

Here's the main beats of what they've said to date.

Is Elite Dangerous: Odyssey coming to VR?

Currently, Elite Dangerous: Odyssey will not be VR-compatible at launch. We’re big fans of VR and we are truly proud of the amazing experience that we currently offer in Elite Dangerous. However, the new gameplay, mechanics and features that will be introduced with Elite Dangerous: Odyssey means that we had to re-examine if we could deliver that same experience without compromise, which, for launch, means Odyssey will not be VR-compatible.
Just to add to this, VR will still be compatible with the base game and Horizons!

I went through the Thursday stream, and there's a minor glimmer of hope there regarding post-launch support. I'd be wary of reading too much into it though. It was some quick phrasing from Stephen while dealing with an angry mob & streaming the game ;)

So again, I mean, this is just the beginning right now. We've explained the reason why it won't be there on launch. Obviously especially with VR it's a very difficult... you have to get it really right, because people can get motion sickness and everything else, and all this other stuff. So it may not be there on launch. And we hope that it doesn't upset anybody, we do apologise. [29m35s]

Full VR quotes from the stream here

UploadVR got this further info from FDev:

In a follow up email we confirmed that VR support is still an open possibility sometime after launch, “with no defined date,” according to the company.

Alec Turner: Zac Antonaci just PMed me on my VR question: "Can we fly ships under blue skies in VR? IE: Where's the cut off?"

Zac Antonaci: Hey Alec. Quick follow up to your question. For now it's too far out to confirm 100% where the split will be. We'll have more details closer to release. For now best to assume all Odyssey content is not VR compatible. But we can share more when we get close to the launch.

(Source)

Firstly, sorry for the late reply – it has been a busy week!

As I said, I will give you what news I have, be that good or bad, when I have it as I feel that is fair.

The short answer, I am afraid, is I have no other news that what was stated in the previous post: Odyssey will not support VR at launch.

However, I wanted to add some context to this in the hope this will provide some understanding of what that means.

Firstly, we have no intentions of removing VR, or support for it in Elite Dangerous.

With regards to the Odyssey statement, there are as you can imagine, a multitude of factors in play when looking at how the VR experience could transfer to the new mechanics and features being implemented for this expansion. Hence why it will not be supported at launch.

We are exploring many options of how this could work without compromising the quality of the VR experience.

If / when we can find a way of doing this, we will of course communicate that.

I understand the desire from the VR community and I am listening to you.

I will of course come back when I have more information on this.

-Arf

The key quote for me at the moment, aside from Zak's "For now best to assume all Odyssey content is not VR compatible", is the recent one from Arf. In particular:

We are exploring many options of how this could work without compromising the quality of the VR experience.

If / when we can find a way of doing this, we will of course communicate that.

So they're more at the 'looking at options' stage than the 'doing this' stage at the moment, seemingly.

But essentially the broad situation seems to be similar to the initial announcement. No VR at launch. A desire to add VR at some point after launch. No firm confirmations etc.

(As always swing by the 'experimental branch' suggestion thread if you'd like to advocate for something more basic coming closer to launch ;))

Last edited:
That would be terrible if true, because then people wouldn't have anything to complain about until the first dev diary.

I don’t believe the boldfaced part was part of the initial announcement ...

Hey I said similar ;)

Yeah they termed things more as 'big fans of VR' / 'not at launch' etc in the first statement. But on the same day they also told UploadVR that it was an open possibility for post-launch etc. Combined I'm kind of happy to see that as a 'desire' to add VR etc. Just nothing close to a roadmapped pledge to do so ;)

Never saw the appeal of VR myself, completely murders any awareness of the real world.

I'd have to live on a mountain with no populations centres within 400 miles before I tried it.

I agree with you there... I like to understand I'm playing a game, I find it helps balance work and non work (note: I didn't say play then)

Never saw the appeal of VR myself, completely murders any awareness of the real world.

I'd have to live on a mountain with no populations centres within 400 miles before I tried it.
To each their own. Not all things are for all people.
You should try ED in a Decent headset once tho

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom