Find origin port of delivery missions

With the new cargo Depot mechanics of the delivery missions it's easier than ever to forget to load up the cargo you committed to deliver and head out of the system, get interdicted, high wake, etc.

My question is: how can I find out where do I have to get the cargo from once I left the mission giver's station?

The mission details show the mission giver, but not the system, and that faction can be present in multiple systems, and there's no good in-game way of seeing in which systems the faction is present, or is there?

1: pen and paer. write it down every time you accept a cargo delivery mission
2: go to the mission board at the destination. it will tell you where the goods were supposed to come from.

3: eddb.io or other third party sites will tell you where the faction is present.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Any (good) reason why the mission details doesn't say "deliver X tons of Y from A to B"?

Honestly, I just think the devs fail (or fail at trying) to put themselves in the position of the players when they work on their game. In particular in-game information and the UI.
There is so much info lacking in all aspects of the game, I couldn't know where to start.

I wasn't much help sadly.
Saying all that, I never have any issues. However I do the missions straight away, and usually stick to the same area doing my missions.
EDDB is my best friend, and a window is always open with it, and Inara. I don't even think about it anymore, my brain considers them integral in the game:D

They forgot? It has been mentioned and will no doubt get fixed one day.(TM)

Fixed it:cool:

You could try back-tracking your route through galmap and dropping a bookmark,but that will only work in the same session.

Deleted member 38366

D
The Journals record all relevant Information.

So if you run i.e EDMC or a similar tool and have it hooked to feed i.e. INARA, you'll have Source and Destination overview at all times.

That's how it looks then :
ELITE-MissionLog.jpg

1: pen and paer. write it down every time you accept a cargo delivery mission
2: go to the mission board at the destination. it will tell you where the goods were supposed to come from.

3: eddb.io or other third party sites will tell you where the faction is present.

The Galaxy Map. Follow the Dotted Line. It goes where you came from.
If you're really, really, really lazy, drop a bookmark. You can delete it when you're done.

The Journals record all relevant Information.

So if you run i.e EDMC or a similar tool and have it hooked to feed i.e. INARA, you'll have Source and Destination overview at all times.

That's how it looks then :
ELITE-MissionLog.jpg

Thanks for pointing that out.
In fact, I do run the EDMC and I noticed that the data on Inara/EDSM is very helpful which makes me think that FD did only half the job: collecting relevant information from the gameplay but not making it accessible in any sensible way.

Backtracking through the Galmap is what I ended up doing as I was still in the same session and I cross-checked the Mission Giver.

Hopefully, with time, the interface will improve. I have some faith in FD and they did improve the Galmap this year :D

The depot and UI definitely needs a lot of work. Still, as mentioned above, EDMC with Inara is great for tracking and monitoring everything, I'd say a must have for anyone running ED.

Excellent tip about Inara, thanks! I was in a position recently when I had to turn in some missions for cash and some for rep, with no in-game way of telling beforehand which belonged to which faction until after I'd turned them in, which wasn't much help.

The depot and UI definitely needs a lot of work. Still, as mentioned above, EDMC with Inara is great for tracking and monitoring everything, I'd say a must have for anyone running ED.

Then, they should be bundled with the game. I can't think of any other game I played that has such "must have" 3rd party tool requirements.
Most of the games I played were playable out of the box, and had enough information in the manual or the game itself.

EDIT: Maybe FD could just add an interface to Inara/EDSM in-game. That would solve A LOT of QoL issues!

Last edited:
Then, they should be bundled with the game. I can't think of any other game I played that has such "must have" 3rd party tool requirements.

I guess you haven't used many desktop simulators. This is nothing in ED, and in the case of sims you often have to pay full whack for those tools.

Anyway, it would be nice to integrate into the game, although you can just use a second monitor, or in VR you can have Inara or any other app on board the ship with you.

Most of the games I played were playable out of the box, and had enough information in the manual or the game itself.

EDIT: Maybe FD could just add an interface to Inara/EDSM in-game. That would solve A LOT of QoL issues!

I'm trying to remember the last physical copy of a game that I bought that had the manual in the box, or had a version of it accessible in game.

Failing so far, and I've gone back some years now. I'm also just going to assume that you haven't played World of Warcraft, because the number of people who play that game using only the default UI functionality is likely very low indeed. The more popular add-ons are considered by the playerbase at-large to be *necessary,* which makes that game no different than this one, in that respect. It's not true in either case, but perception matters.

Every Commander, including myself, has left a station having forgotten (an important or necessary) something at least once in their career, and it likely won't be the last or only time that happens. That said, is it too much to ask that people pay some modicum of attention to what they are about? I'm sure some tractor-trailer driver has left without the trailer at some point in the history of goods transport, but is it really that difficult to have a personal pre-flight mental checklist that includes making sure you loaded up before disembarking?

Riôt

Yes, I suppose that I haven't played that many simulation or other recent games (even WoW).

As far as remembering things... yes, you can put that on the Commander's responsibility, but when I can't even check the commander's log in game... Am I expected to pay attention to the moving log while I am actively engaged in a fight? We could simply have a log scroll-able and accessible under "5" key.

The other thing about "making sure you loaded up before disembarking" is that you need to check the mission board (which loads very slowly) since you can't really read the transactions tab (always says 0/x until you deliver). Also, if I only partially delivered I still need to find the origin port which is still this issue.

The Delivery Depot in itself is a good idea, but could really use a bit more polish.

Every Commander, including myself, has left a station having forgotten (an important or necessary) something at least once in their career, and it likely won't be the last or only time that happens. That said, is it too much to ask that people pay some modicum of attention to what they are about? I'm sure some tractor-trailer driver has left without the trailer at some point in the history of goods transport, but is it really that difficult to have a personal pre-flight mental checklist that includes making sure you loaded up before disembarking?

You are correct to a point... :)

The problem I think is that the game already gives us all sorts of information that potentially it shouldn't, information that should be part of the mission planning, how far the destination system is, how far the station is from entry point, size of station, reducing accepting a mission to simply looking at the reward and clicking accept, even though every mission description tells the player to check the galaxy map to ensure it can be completed!

I kind of accept that the galaxy and system maps aren't particularly quick or efficient to check, but still... In FE:2, it was part of pretty much every mission if you wanted to be sure you could manage it in the times given.

But the information about mission destination and origin should be part of the in-game info once you've accepted the mission, and I think (hope) FD do get around to putting this into the transactions tab at the very least.

While collecting cargo from the depot is a bit clumsy (and I have indeed flown to a target destination empty), I think that it is the players responsibility to ensure they've loaded their ship, and FD shouldn't hold our hands on that one.

People often complain the game is too simple, and I feel expecting us to think about and plan the activities that we want to do would be a positive step. Once we've decided to do something however, the information needed to achieve that should really be available in game. :)

Top Bottom