Newcomer / Intro Fines? How Long

Got lazy, dumped a mission. Got fined half a million credits.

Will it ever wear off? If so how long?

Or (this would be cool) after a while does it turn into a bounty? If so at full cost of the fine? How long till it does turn into a bounty?

Any and all "FINE'S" must be paid in full by the end of the 7th day it or they were ascertained. If it or they are not paid in full, it or they will resort to becoming "BOUNTIES". Thus one has seven days to stop off at an intersellar and pay it or they. Generally it is not an issue, just make sure to check at the various stations you happen to be at. One of them will eventually have an interstellar. OR use this link and go there NOW! https://inara.cz/galaxy-nearest/18/2821/

So after 7 days a fine turns into a bounty then? Interesting. I remember a 100 credit fine I got once a few months back and didn't pay it off until a week or so ago?

Is there a cutoff or something amount wise? If so what is it? In other words: kind'a wouldn't make sense to make one a criminal for 100 credits though it most surely would for 1/2 a million credits.

So after 7 days a fine turns into a bounty then? Interesting. I remember a 100 credit fine I got once a few months back and didn't pay it off until a week or so ago?

Is there a cutoff or something amount wise? If so what is it? In other words: kind'a wouldn't make sense to make one a criminal for 100 credits though it most surely would for 1/2 a million credits.
I've had a 100 Cr bounty on me for shooting 2 shots at the wrong ship in a Res. I was trying to keep 2 wanted ships tagged and accidentally got the wrong target.

I've also had a 400 Cr bounty for murdering a ship which interdicted me and shot back (he opened fire first) before the scan of his ship was complete. He was wanted and one of the named pirates trying to prevent my mission, and had previously attacked me but got away.

Any and all "FINE'S" must be paid in full by the end of the 7th day it or they were ascertained. If it or they are not paid in full, it or they will resort to becoming "BOUNTIES". Thus one has seven days to stop off at an intersellar and pay it or they. ............
So after 7 days a fine turns into a bounty then? ........

NO ( unfortunately I can't find a way to make this flash on and off in red with a klaxon sounding ;) )

Fines don't turn into bounties any more

Last edited:
and just to complete the story, small fines for things like speeding and trespassing never turned into bounties - not since 2016 anyway.

There's no penalty for not paying a fine, but you can't get access to the services in the station that issued it until you pay it off either in the station or at an Interstellar Factor,

Craith

Volunteer Moderator
The small penalty is that transfering a ship with a fine is more costly, but it's dirt cheap anyhow compared to the income. Just as a clarification to avoid misunderstandings, you will have restricted access in any station that belongs to the faction issuing the bounty.

I wonder if you failed this mission for The Dark Wheel, if it would turn into a bounty?! I initially thought it was 4.1M, then I looked more closely at the fine on failure.

1583212070752.png

1583212130478.png

1583212014144.png

/ Ra

I wonder if you failed this mission for The Dark Wheel, if it would turn into a bounty?! I initially thought it was 4.1M, then I looked more closely at the fine on failure.

View attachment 164227

Is that a problem though?
Price range of Performance Enhancers is 5400-8200... at a 41m fine, that puts failure at 7500 per tonne, which is what the fine exists for; to compensate for lost goods. Outright failure == you might as well have not delivered anything.

Is that a problem though?
Price range of Performance Enhancers is 5400-8200... at a 41m fine, that puts failure at 7500 per tonne, which is what the fine exists for; to compensate for lost goods. Outright failure == you might as well have not delivered anything.
Outright failure = you're 28 million in the red!

The fine might be commensurate to the amount of goods to be delivered, however when the fine exceeds the actual mission value by a factor of 3 it seems excessive. It's the first time I've noticed a fine being larger than the actual value of a mission, and given you have 23 hours to complete it (even with a wing) it's a lot of transport for a measly 13M reward.

Outright failure = you're 28 million in the red!

The fine might be commensurate to the amount of goods to be delivered, however when the fine exceeds the actual mission value by a factor of 3 it seems excessive. It's the first time I've noticed a fine being larger than the actual value of a mission, and given you have 23 hours to complete it (even with a wing) it's a lot of transport for a measly 13M reward.
FD pre-quarter rewards for wing missions. So the reward is actually 52m total, putting you 10m in the black in total... you just need 4 wingmates to get that. It's how FD incentivise doing these as a wing.

Alternately, don't fail the mission? Or don't pay the fine[1]? Or if you get ganked, do a partial-hand-in, you'll still come up black.

I get what you're saying, but delivery missions are all cack-about anyway. Reward is based on value of the cargo, not the volume of it, so a mission to deliver just 600t of Performance Enhancers will pay out more than a mission to deliver 5000t of water, which'll pay maybe 3m? So for me, that's the tradeoff you face; ship lots of low value goods, with not much impact if you fail, or; run a mission whose payout is substantially larger[2] for the same, or even less effort, but face greater consequences for failure. tl;dr the reward for 5000t of water and 5000t of, say, Palladium, should be the same.

Re-emphasising the fact rewards are primarily based on cargo value, not volume shipped, this seems fine to me.

Back in EVE, players (not an RNG system) routinely put up hauling contracts for a couple million, but with collaterals of up-to hundreds of times the reward; not because they were scams, but because that's how cargo hauling normally works. Only difference in Elite is that instead of players, it's an RNG system, and instead of up-front collateral, it's a retrospective fine you cop for failure. Personally, a collateral system would actually be much better for Elite, but I digress...this actually leads neatly to my footnote...

[1] Not paying the fine is entirely valid, and I do this regularly. Flogging goods from factions you have no intention of ever coming in contact with, or doing business with again, is a really powerful way to make credits... especially if the victim faction owns no assets. There's almost 30,000 populated systems and 77,000 factions. Having 50-100m in outstanding fines with a handful of those is no biggy. There has to be some counterbalance, and that's what the fines are.

[2] You'd have to do the same 5000t delivery for something with less risk, such as Water, about 5 or 6 times to get the same reward solo. So, your choice. Big fine vs Big wins, or small fine vs small wins.

Last edited:
Top Bottom